Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

I really, really hate the new format.  So slow to load, and so inefficient to look through.  Even the "monthly" schedule forces you to scroll through each day.

And today everything is an hour off!!!  I just missed the first hour of "The Women" because I trusted them.

Do they care about our feedback?  Is there any place to weigh in on this?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

Well, I just looked at a thread from 2003 and compared it to one from 2020 and the format is the same. I can separate out quotes from original comments. 

Some of the ones I have seen (and these would be comments I made years ago in older threads) have all kinds of blank spaces between paragraphs. 

Of course I can go back in and edit them, removing those extra unnecessary spaces. But I don't feel like fixing literally thousands of posts!

I have also joined to voice my unhappiness with the daily schedule change. I wouldn’t have supposed anybody could mutilate a schedule this ridiculously. Discarding useful information is favor of so very much empty space is unacceptable. For me the biggest losses are being able to check the programming blocks at a glance (such as the times of Star or the Month films, etc.) and the omission of interstitial shorts. I hate that displaying a 24-hour schedule on one page is too much to ask for.  

I find it very interesting that MOVIES-TV has been mentioned earlier in this thread. I have wondered how many people notice that MOVIES-TV has appeared to be competing with TCM’s programming for some time. Given the changing nature of programming at TCM I find myself turning to MOVIES-TV more often, which is depressing. At least they aren’t averse to letting me see what’s airing.  

I’m surprised TCM’s message boards haven’t been dispensed with since few commercial websites are willing to expend to maintain communities anymore.     

• Like 1
1 minute ago, OhioTabonga said:

I’m surprised TCM’s message boards haven’t been dispensed with since few commercial websites are willing to expend to maintain communities anymore.     

Earlier this summer they did a slight revamp of the message boards. So that told me (told us?) that they are still committed to keeping their forums going.

I think TCM does care about its viewers and viewers' feedback.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Earlier this summer they did a slight revamp of the message boards. So that told me (told us?) that they are still committed to keeping their forums going.

That is heartening to know. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SVF said:

Do you mean like the ones where people are talking about a particular movie star, with a few clips?  Like just 3 or 4 minutes long?

Or the Host on Host segments?

No, I wasn't referring to those things (although I like them too) . . . I don't believe those things have ever been listed.  An example of what I meant: Let's say a movie ends at 20 minutes till 8' o'clock, and the next movie starts at 8.  During that break, TCM will often play a short subject (such as a "Crime Does Not Pay" or a "Vitaphone Varieties" short) to fill the gap.  The old online schedule would actually list the short subject as if it were a  full-fledged movie, along with its exact starting time (e.g., 8:41).  I found that very useful--many times I recorded the short instead of (or in addition to) the movie!

• Like 1

Absolutely horrendous.  Horrible idea & horribly implemented. The previous schedule setup was way more usable.  Most definitely a step in the wrong direction.  ElCid is correct. This was a mistake.  Previously, I could easily see 3 months down the line.  I hope they have the intelligence to fix this crap.  Not expecting that to happen.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm another one that joined because I needed to talk about this with someone.

I cannot imagine looking at the schedules on my phone. I am already annoyed with the extra seconds that it takes for things to load, and I'm on my gaming computer.

Did they really remove listings from the TCMdb page for a movie? I keep looking at different movies and seeing that they aren't there, but it is such a strange choice that I can't believe it. I will still go to them to see the articles, but most of the reason for going to TCM instead of IMDB is gone without the listings and user reviews.

On the other hand, the extra steps it takes to see if something is on DVD might save me some money in the future, but I don't think that was what they were going for.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Very disappointed in the changes. I always checked the future schedules when they added a new month or two to see if my big list of bookmarked movies were going to finally air. Unless I am missing something, the individual movie pages do not even list upcoming airdates anymore. Really hope they restore this.

I am not the type who is bothered by every website redesign; but they have clearly removed some important things with no good reason it seems.

• Like 1
On 10/2/2020 at 11:08 AM, sewhite2000 said:

There was a point when some of us on here (myself included) would be borderline panicky when the future month schedule lag time started shrinking. "Wait, it's eight weeks until December, and the schedule hasn't been posted yet!" Now, it appears the "new normal" is going to be "It's April 30, and the May schedule hasn't been posted yet!"

Count me in.  One of my great joys was downloading and printing schedules a couple of months ahead and then highlighting the films I wanted to see or tape.  I sure hope those days are not over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm so annoyed with this change I literally made an account just to say my piece.

Firstly, the direct link to the Canadian schedule has been removed (there's no longer a difference in url), and I now have to choose Canada from the dropdown every single time I open the page. Yes, it's only a few clicks, but it's annoying to remember every single time, and several times I've gone to watch or record a show and found that it wasn't actually on my channel. Genres, the nice colour coding all just gone. No need for that info, evidently.

Secondly, the dearth of information is just absurd. I use a pc, have a 24 inch full HD monitor, and the daily schedule shows just four titles. Think about that for a second, a monitor as tall as a regular 8.5x11 piece of paper (and twice as wide) can only show 4 pieces of information, you have to scroll multiple times to see the rest. Ooh, but if you're looking at something not involving what's currently playing you get a whole five titles! Wowza, 25% more info! You have to click repeatedly to expand items and see more info and click back to the schedule, etc. This is almost literally insane as an interface. It's akin to printing one sentence per page in a novel.

I'm a web developer, I get that phones are more prevalent for browsing than in the past. I totally get that a pc web interface is not the best way to show information on a phone. But somehow the entire web industry (not just this site) decided the 'solution' to the problem was just to reverse it - display the phone interface on a pc. Well guess what, it's still just as inappropriate when you reverse the situation!

Argh. So damn frustrating.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought.......

If the programmers still have the old web site on their servers, why not reinstate it for us, and then repair the new one, off line, and when done with their latest version, provide a beta test site or link for opinions?

That way we could all be in our happy place, very soon, and the site designers could go wash off all the **** they've been getting and create a better site we ALL like. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, DanKurts said:

Just a thought.......

If the programmers still have the old web site on their servers, why not reinstate it for us, and then repair the new one, off line, and when done with their latest version, provide a beta test site or link for opinions?

That way we could all be in our happy place, very soon, and the site designers could go wash off all the **** they've been getting and create a better site we ALL like. 

What a lot of organizations do is announce there will be new version of their website software coming out, and provide a link to interested users to try it out.  Both versions of the website are live, but the new version is at a different, temporary URL.  They will then offer the beta users to provide comments.    This wasn't done in this case, to my knowledge.

Nearly all professionally run software organizations have a way to back out a newly-installed version in case of catastrophe.  It's typically not a difficult operation at all.

The issue isn't a technical one (it rarely is).  It's a managerial one.   Most projects fail or have problems not because of difficult technical problems, but because of management issues.

Someone or some group within TCM/Turner/Warner/AT&T has invested time and energy convincing their management to spend money on the web site upgrade, and to reverse course at this point would admit defeat on the part of the sponsor/champion of the update.  They would lose face.  This presumes that said person or group is aware of the web site user complaints in the first place, and considers them significant enough to address one way or another.

I've seen it too many times (retired software person here).  Once a project gets enough inertia, it takes a really big problem to either revert to a previous version or abandon the project.  The tendency is to forge ahead and fix the problems (again, presuming they are aware of the complaints and even see them as problems that need or are worth fixing).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

This presumes that said person or group is aware of the web site user complaints in the first place, and considers them significant enough to address one way or another.

Big presumptions, especially the latter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Big presumptions, especially the latter.

True, but we have no way of knowing one way or the other exactly what is going on behind the scenes.  Unfortunately, I tend to the pessimistic, which is a character flaw on my part.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

What a lot of organizations do is announce there will be new version of their website software coming out, and provide a link to interested users to try it out.  Both versions of the website are live, but the new version is at a different, temporary URL.  They will then offer the beta users to provide comments.    This wasn't done in this case, to my knowledge.

Nearly all professionally run software organizations have a way to back out a newly-installed version in case of catastrophe.  It's typically not a difficult operation at all.

The issue isn't a technical one (it rarely is).  It's a managerial one.   Most projects fail or have problems not because of difficult technical problems, but because of management issues.

Someone or some group within TCM/Turner/Warner/AT&T has invested time and energy convincing their management to spend money on the web site upgrade, and to reverse course at this point would admit defeat on the part of the sponsor/champion of the update.  They would lose face.  This presumes that said person or group is aware of the web site user complaints in the first place, and considers them significant enough to address one way or another.

I've seen it too many times (retired software person here).  Once a project gets enough inertia, it takes a really big problem to either revert to a previous version or abandon the project.  The tendency is to forge ahead and fix the problems (again, presuming they are aware of the complaints and even see them as problems that need or are worth fixing).  

I've always seen two systems up and running at the same time too during an upgrade, it is just common sense.  Even if the old and/or new system has to have reduced capacity - such as in a production environment that requires multiple operators and may be short on people or space, or people taking time out to train on the new system.  Which wouldn't be the case here.

This appears to me to be a heavy-handed case of a strict timeline being followed, top down.  That may be what management wants, but not at all the way software works in the real world.  At least they are a media company selling different brands of fantasy, not jet engines and MRI equipment.

• Like 1

The intensity of the time zone reaction has surprised me. Being a lifelong Central Time Zone resident, I have long been accustomed to adjusting back one hour all the way to the time in second grade when I realized Happy Days started at 7 pm where I lived, not 8 pm., since scheduling times have always had an East Coast bias in this country. I never even adjusted the time zone during the 12 years I've been using this web site, just always automatically being cognizant the times listed were eternally one hour ahead of "my" time. So, I'm not sure the inability to change that anymore will make any difference to me, unless the problem is weirder than that in a way I'm not understanding.

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

The intensity of the time zone reaction has surprised me. Being a lifelong Central Time Zone resident, I have long been accustomed to adjusting back one hour all the way to the time in second grade when I realized Happy Days started at 7 pm where I lived, not 8 pm., since scheduling times have always had an East Coast bias in this country. I never even adjusted the time zone during the 12 years I've been using this web site, just always automatically being cognizant the times listed were eternally one hour ahead of "my" time. So, I'm not sure the inability to change that anymore will make any difference to me, unless the problem is weirder than that in a way I'm not understanding.

Two words: common core.

24 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Agree.  And with TCM, it's always been a crapshoot anyway for Mountain and Pacific time zones, even before this change.  I live in the Central time zone, but when I travel west, and the hotel has TCM, I always have to check to see if their TV providers are using the east feed or west feed.  If they're using the east feed, the times will be different (prime time programming airing in the late afternoon).  

The times in the JSON source file are keyed to the Eastern time zone, as you'd expect.  But when the website renders the data for display, it's off by an hour.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Mentally adjusting from the Eastern time zone is something those of us living in other areas of the country are used to doing as second nature, but the times currently shown on the TCM schedules are not correct for the Eastern time zone.  The schedule this morning led off with Vigil in the Night (1940) at 7:30 am Eastern time, but the schedule listed it at 8:30 am.  So if you want to do this in your head you must make two adjustments, first fix the Eastern time and then adjust to your own time if in a different time zone.  The other time zone settings on the schedule drop down menu produce similar incorrect results - Central, Mountain, and Pacific are all off by an hour.  So everything is basically wrong, and that is why for me the change has been so disappointing.

It's possible this will fix itself when Daylight Savings Time ends on November 1, but hey even a broken clock is correct two times a day.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1