• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

BTW .....

re:   special WOMEN MAKE FILM theme

with introducing so many NEW & foreign films,

this is real BAD time to have such a (useless) low info schedule on their site ☹️ 😣

Hopefully interested viewers will be able to find the dedicated Women Make Film schedule page, which lists the films at the correct times and gives information about the directors and the theme for each week:

https://womenmakefilm.tcm.com/schedule/

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Hopefully interested viewers will be able to find the dedicated Women Make Film schedule page, which lists the films at the correct times and gives information about the directors and the theme for each week:

At least there's that.  (And thanks for posting it.)

But dang...the list of movies isn't clickable--just the director is.  And if you click on that, you get a page about the director with a "select filmography" listed, but none of them are clickable. You can click on VIEW MORE ON TCMDB, where you can finally get to a clickable link for movie titles.  Well, unless you're interested in Martha Coolidge--clicking on her gets you a 404 Error. 

But hey--the link for images seems to work flawlessly. 

• Sad 1

Imagine a world where TCM had a comprehensive database of films, actors, directors and other contributors that you could search on and quickly find a wealth of information...

Oh wait, we used to have access to that.

(In the stages of grief progression, I think I'm still in the depression phase.)

• Like 4
7 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

https://womenmakefilm.tcm.com/schedule/

My complaint is there is there is no film list of each episode. I want to find out more of those unsung female filmmakers  

On 9/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, ElCid said:

My post from thread I had created. 

Went to the TCM Full Schedule ( https://www.tcm.com/schedule/)  on the TCM website looking for what is below, but they have replaced it with a new format.  Very little in descriptions, no reviews and jumbled together with other useless format changes.  Also, if you click on a title, you get a large picture related to the movie/feature.  Tried to copy the new screen but couldn't.  

For those who may not know, on the old format, if you clicked on the title or something, it would open it up with more information.  You could then close it back to make perusing the screen easier.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 12.02.37 PM

I love the old format.  Why fix it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once you know the title of a film that is currently on the schedule,

- go to the Daily Schedule page

- start typing the name of the film in the search box

- this should list the title of the film you are looking for

- click on the name of the film

- if there is a "MORE INFO" field, click on that

- from this entry, you can click on the director's name to get more information

This approach can show you films that are on the schedule out through December

Try "The Thin Man", for example.

This doesn't work for all the films, but some of them do have director information.

Note that once a film has been shown, it will drop off the Daily Schedule page the next day if there are no other showings.

You can try to do the same search from the Monthly Schedule page to find similar listings.

Searching from the Monthly Schedule page limits you to films that are on this month, but it will list any film shown during the month, even if that is now in the past.

Not as good as what was there before, but that's about all we can do for now.

• Sad 1

I can't believe it took me this long to notice that they don't have what is currently playing on the front page. Why? This is another thing about the change that makes no sense to me.

I ended up looking at the TV Guide listings to see if it was worth going into Watch TCM to watch live, because it would take less time than going to TCM.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, HomesoulM said:
17 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Hopefully interested viewers will be able to find the dedicated Women Make Film schedule page, which lists the films at the correct times and gives information about the directors and the theme for each week: https://womenmakefilm.tcm.com/schedule/

My complaint is there is there is no film list of each episode. I want to find out more of those unsung female filmmakers  

TCM really just sort of dumped this series on the schedule, without any real support or content.  As I pointed out above, at least one of the links to a director on TCM's own page for Women Make Film gives a 404 Error.

However, I did a quick internet search and found the website for the series:

https://www.womenmakefilm.net/

It has the dreaded poke-your-finger-at-things-because-there's-no-text-to-guide-you interface that is so common these days, but there's one photo representing each episode (mouse hovering will show the name of the episode), and if you poke that, you get a list of all the movies in that episode.  I think that's what you're looking for.

• Sad 1

Another curious omission I've discovered in the new website format: under "Film Details," they have neglected to include Production Dates for the films. This info was routinely included in the old format. Apparently, the web designers considered this piece of information too trivial to bother with. Now, if you want to find out exactly when a movie was made, you have to go to the AFI website. Ironically, at the bottom of the page on the new format are the words, "Powered By AFI."  That phrase takes on a whole new meaning now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

The schedule this morning led off with Vigil in the Night (1940) at 7:30 am Eastern time, but the schedule listed it at 8:30 am. 

Oh, my gosh...  I never realized all the folks in the central time zone did that one hour math in their head all of their lives.  I guess being in the eastern time zone, I'm a bit entitled...  : (

Anyway, when you saw the schedule for Vigil in the Night (1940) started at 8:30, was that the daily or monthly schedule?  It's too late to see yesterday's daily, but it's listed as 7:30 in the current monthly.  See below.

I've been scheduling films via software using those JSON links above and it seems to be working fine time-wise.  (As mentioned above I do see some of the "shorts" being given a different genre, such as documentary or general.  Not all, but some...  I'm sorry, an 11 minute documentary is just silly.  lol)

tcmsched.png

On 10/1/2020 at 4:06 PM, skipd55 said:

No, you don't need to be psychic. You just need to be one of the lucky ones to have seen the December schedule before it was pulled. It was up for less than a week.

hmm...if you have the November and December schedule,s would it be asking too much to attach them here (or better yet, create a new thread and attachment them) so that the out-of-luck users can become in-luck users?

35 minutes ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

Oh, my gosh...  I never realized all the folks in the central time zone did that one hour math in their head all of their lives.  I guess being in the eastern time zone, I'm a bit entitled...  : (

Anyway, when you saw the schedule for Vigil in the Night (1940) started at 8:30, was that the daily or monthly schedule?  It's too late to see yesterday's daily, but it's listed as 7:30 in the current monthly.  See below.

For me, as I look at the schedules both the daily and monthly views have the same time shift.  For example, "The Squall" today is listed at 12:30 pm ET instead of 11:30 am.

Not only that, but the "On Now" label they put on the film they think is currently showing is off as well.

My guess is that the scheduling system does not realize we are all on Daylight Savings Time for another 3 1/2 weeks.

24 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

"The Squall" today is listed at 12:30 pm ET instead of 11:30 am.

Wow...  I see it at 11:30.  I'm in Philly, PA.  

I also see they seem to have different formats depending on what browser I use.  When I use Chrome, first it complains it doesn't recognize it, then I get a home page with the menu running vertically when I click the "hamburger" (3 small lines) in the upper left corner.  But when I use Edge I don't get the hamburger, but rather a somewhat normal horizontal menu across the top...

2 hours ago, ClassicMindset said:

hmm...if you have the November and December schedule,s would it be asking too much to attach them here (or better yet, create a new thread and attachment them) so that the out-of-luck users can become in-luck users?

Here.  October through December.  And then January in due time.
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

P.S. and if you don't like that, here are older saved copies of Nov and Dec.  But they are already or will someday be obsolete:

Nov
https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_11_pulled_2020_09_28.html

Dec
https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_12_pulled_2020_09_28.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

Wow...  I see it at 11:30.  I'm in Philly, PA.  

I also see they seem to have different formats depending on what browser I use.  When I use Chrome, first it complains it doesn't recognize it, then I get a home page with the menu running vertically when I click the "hamburger" (3 small lines) in the upper left corner.  But when I use Edge I don't get the hamburger, but rather a somewhat normal horizontal menu across the top...

That's interesting that the times are correct for you.  Are the times the same for both Chrome and Edge?  (I don't use either.)

For me the times are off using Firefox on desktop and Safari on iPhone.

38 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Once again, kudos to MovieCollector OH for providing us with the information that the keepers of this beloved website refuse to share. I'm especially grateful for the November schedule. There are several changes I wasn't aware of since the original posting.

• Like 1

The time listings are correct in my browser.

Maybe it's pulling from Windows system settings. Here's mine:

Set time automatically : ON

Set time zone automatically: OFF

Time Zone : Eastern Time

Adjust for daylight saving time automatically: ON

• Thanks 1

I  too have to comment on the new site.  TERRIBLE.  Why are things changed when they arent broken? when they don't need to be fixed?  Is there any explanation for this? All this white space, and the logo takes up half the screen when looking at the schedule, so you can't see the full day.  Why, why?  It makes looking up things so much harder.  Please, can you go back to the old format?  Do they even bother to read our frustrations, or does it just give people jobs, to change things just for the sake of change.......  ugh. can hardly use the site anymore, and there was NO explanation, just a big change one day last week.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, josey said:

And where are the user reviews?  and Leonard Maltin??   Still there?  Can we still review movies or is that option  now gone?  Why can't someone at TCM answer about all the complaints.

I've asked the same questions for a week... An earlier poster suggested a direct appeal to TCM management might help. Here's the address:

Turner Classic Movies, 1051 Techwood Drive NW, Atlanta, GA 30318 (Pola Changnon, General Manager)

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

P.S. and if you don't like that, here are older saved copies of Nov and Dec.  But they are already or will someday be obsolete:

Nov
https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_11_pulled_2020_09_28.html

Dec
https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_12_pulled_2020_09_28.html

I (and I imagine at least a few additional users) thank you for your sharing of the elixir of viewing life :-)

• Like 1