Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VOTE: Like the NEW Schedules/TCMDB Layouts/Like the OLD Schedules/TCMDB Layouts

As a way of communicating more directly to TCM management our overall like/dislike of the changes:

• If you LIKE the NEW Schedules/TCMDB Layouts, then  "HEART" this Post.  
  • If you like the OLD Schedules/TCMDB Layouts, then "SAD" this post.  

NOTE: Since I can't vote on my own post, add +1 to the SAD count.

Please only "HEART" or "SAD" this post.  Also, as advised, it would be helpful to add a comment of "VOTED" to keep this thread active and likely to be seen by other users to get their vote.

Thanks!

Edited by ClassicMindset
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Sad 37

Sorry, but this is another change for change's sake and not necessary. Please put a link to the old web design and see how many people use that instead of the new one and see how what the users prefer. And as for the "left-handed" comments, I would remind all of you that being left-handed means we are in our right minds!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thumbs down.

I access it on my laptop so the changes  diminish my  user  experience. Like any organization, TCM might consider some user input and a beta launch prior to going live with such an impactful change.  We all appreciate TCM and am sure our input would lead to  a robust user experience. 

The new format is like owning a Pontiac Aztek: you have to use it to get around but you really don't want to look at it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

They still haven't updated the TCMdb with accurate information. Joan Fontaine, for example, does not have a date of death.   I wish they hadn't removed the option to view upcoming films by a specific actor--though that feature could have been improved as it often didn't scroll far enough to be viewed.

When they rolled out the changes to the message board, there were some issues and unpopular features.  Perhaps the website will be updated as feedback is received and things are tweaked. I will say that the schedule is easier to read on my phone, which like it or not, a mobile interface is an important thing for company websites to have.  However, I do agree that the time zone times are off, and I also liked having the genre labels.  They added the ability to search the schedule by title, which is a good idea, but I wish that they would expand this to include multiple types of searches-- at least actor, director, and genre.

I will miss having the future schedules if they are removing the ability to view the schedule by week.  We'll have to rely more on information obtained from people on the inside, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

I hate the new format.

I tried to "sad" the first post, but it didn't work. Maybe I'm just old and confused.

The new schedule takes too long to display. I have to watch that spinning circle WAY too long. The old format would display instantly.

On the old format, the genre information was very helpful. It might be in there somewhere, but I can't find it.

As someone else mentioned, the shorts don't seem to be showing up. I'm very fond of the shorts, but I need to know when they're going to be shown.

And I'm not seeing the weekly schedule, just daily and monthly. I always used the weekly schedule.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
On 9/29/2020 at 7:54 PM, speedracer5 said:

They still haven't updated the TCMdb with accurate information. Joan Fontaine, for example, does not have a date of death.   I wish they hadn't removed the option to view upcoming films by a specific actor--though that feature could have been improved as it often didn't scroll far enough to be viewed.

When they rolled out the changes to the message board, there were some issues and unpopular features.  Perhaps the website will be updated as feedback is received and things are tweaked. I will say that the schedule is easier to read on my phone, which like it or not, a mobile interface is an important thing for company websites to have.  However, I do agree that the time zone times are off, and I also liked having the genre labels.  They added the ability to search the schedule by title, which is a good idea, but I wish that they would expand this to include multiple types of searches-- at least actor, director, and genre.

I will miss having the future schedules if they are removing the ability to view the schedule by week.  We'll have to rely more on information obtained from people on the inside, lol. 

Joan lives on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 9/29/2020 at 10:09 PM, UMO1982 said:

HOW MUCH MONEY DID YOU WASTE ON THE RE-DESIGN?

LESS FRIPPERY

MORE OLD FILMS

Yes, all that Backlot money goes for this and not films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

VOTED.  Not only do I hate the format, my schedule got hung up on Oct 11 and wouldn't budge no matter how much clicking I did.  You'll never convince me the new bloat didn't contribute to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hate the new, boring, corporate website design. In many ways, it epitomizes the loss of design across all of TCM and certainly is portends a bland future of WB corporate ownership.

Sure, it's built for mobile devices.  Great.  Let's make the design hew to the device.  I'm sure it's faster loading then before, now that almost no graphics or images are being used.  I develop sites and I know how Google bullies site builders into the latest, great thing that THEY want, but the truth of the matter is that TCM is mostly a site for viewers of the the network.  It's not a shopping site where a user may abandon your site if it doesn't load in under 2 seconds.  Besides, there are other ways a monster like WB can use on to increases speed.

When I look at the site now, I find none of the fun or whimsy or joy that it used to have.  It's just a gray header with text.  Hell, if the TCM logo wasn't there, how would we even know what the site was for?  Larry's House of Doorknobs? Note. 

As to the schedule?  Simple solution.  Keep the new one, which is, I'm guessing, nice for a quick glance about what's happening in the next few hours.  BUT, for hardcore users (and there are a lot of them!) who want to download and print a schedule every month, PLEASE create a more text-driven one in the style of what came before. The data is there. This isn't hard. Please do it!

And just because I was curious, I want a GTMetrix scan (see below) to see how fast the new site it.  It basically sucks.

Cheers!

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 5.10.39 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, overeasy said:

Sure, it's built for mobile devices.  Great.  Let's make the design hew to the device.  I'm sure it's faster loading then before, now that almost no graphics or images are being used.  I develop sites and I know how Google bullies site builders into the latest, great thing that THEY want, but the truth of the matter is that TCM is mostly a site for viewers of the the network.  It's not a shopping site where a user may abandon your site if it doesn't load in under 2 seconds.  Besides, there are other ways a monster like WB can use on to increases speed.

I don't know anything about how websites work, and maybe I don't understand what "faster loading" means, but when I click on DAILY SCHEDULE on the new site, it takes much longer to load than the old one did.  I see that spinning circle for a long time, and then finally the gigantic dates show up along the top and a while after that, the gigantic movie titles show up.  Maybe it's all stuff that's lying in wait underneath that's slowing it down.  Whatever--it's annoyingly slow, and it's extra annoying when all that's actually coming up on my screen is some gigantic text that I know isn't going to be enough information for me, and I'm going to have to click some more.

I only very occasionally used the monthly schedule.  Instead, I would look about two weeks out to see if anything good was coming up (especially for the foreign stuff on Sunday nights), and used the daily schedule to do that.  Fortunately, it's not important enough to me to put up with the aggravation, so I can just sigh and let it go, just like so many other things on the internet that have become more annoying than they're worth. 

It doesn't sound like it's going to be that easy for a lot of you.  My condolences, because there are sites that I still battle regularly, and hate every second of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I voted SAD.  Of course.  Only a committee could have thought up something as brain dead stupid as this.

If the new schedule were a soft drink, it'd be New Coke.

If the new schedule were a baseball game, it'd be a night game ending at 3:00 in the morning.

If the new schedule were a football game, it'd go on for six overtime periods, and called off when both teams tested positive for Covid.

If the new schedule were running for president, it'd be a ticket of Gavin McInnes and Kyle Rittenhouse.

If the new schedule were a presidential debate, it would make last Tuesday's fiasco look like a Shakespeare play with Olivier in a leading role.

If the new schedule were a Simpsons episode, it would be an endless loop featuring Poochie hugging Itchy and Scratchy, with tinkling piano music in the background.

If the new schedule were an automobile, it would be an Oldsmobile vomiting up a rotted lemon.

If the new schedule were to hang on a rack, it'd be a leisure suit.

And if the new schedule had been designed by a mole on the payroll of  AMC, I wouldn't be much surprised.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2