Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Little Rascals Preservation & Restoration Project

I hope it happens, I only have them on VHS, these are my favorites:

1. The Kid From Borneo-Dickie and Spanky mistakenly believe a wild man in a circus is their long lost uncle. Spanky has a great scene feeding him raws eggs,bologna and weinies. 

2. Wild Poses-Spanky needs to get his photo took but keeps busting the prissy photographer in the nose. Franklin Pangborn is hilarious in this. 

3. Free Wheeling-Rich kid Dickie gets a wild car ride from Stymie.Some very funny encounters with pedestrians. 

4. Birthday Blues-Dickie and Spanky try to earn money to buy a birthday present for their mom. They make a huge cakes with prizes in it. 

5. Mush And Milk-the gang are orphans who are waiting for their kindly foster father to get his back pension. This has the famous "don't drink the milk!" "Why?" "It's spoiled!" 

6. Shrimps For A Day-two adults find a magic lamp and become kids again. They end up with the gang at an orphanage run by nasty Mr Crutch. The old man is put in his place by wise cracking Spanky. 

7. Divot Diggers-the gang and their monkey become caddies at a golf course. Lots of funny gags as the golfers are driven crazy. 

8. Mama's Little Pirate-Spanky and the gang search for pirate treasure but find a scary giant instead. 

9. Love Business-Jackie and Chubby both fall for Miss Crabtree. Funniest scenes are Jackie interrupting Chubby's romantic poems to the teacher. 

10. Sprucin' Up- Spanky and Alfalfa try to impress the pretty new neighbor. It ends with a very funny chinup contest. 

39 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I hope it happens, I only have them on VHS, these are my favorites:

1. The Kid From Borneo-Dickie and Spanky mistakenly believe a wild man in a circus is their long lost uncle. Spanky has a great scene feeding him raws eggs,bologna and weinies. 

2. Wild Poses-Spanky needs to get his photo took but keeps busting the prissy photographer in the nose. Franklin Pangborn is hilarious in this. 

3. Free Wheeling-Rich kid Dickie gets a wild car ride from Stymie.Some very funny encounters with pedestrians. 

4. Birthday Blues-Dickie and Spanky try to earn money to buy a birthday present for their mom. They make a huge cakes with prizes in it. 

5. Mush And Milk-the gang are orphans who are waiting for their kindly foster father to get his back pension. This has the famous "don't drink the milk!" "Why?" "It's spoiled!" 

6. Shrimps For A Day-two adults find a magic lamp and become kids again. They end up with the gang at an orphanage run by nasty Mr Crutch. The old man is put in his place by wise cracking Spanky. 

7. Divot Diggers-the gang and their monkey become caddies at a golf course. Lots of funny gags as the golfers are driven crazy. 

8. Mama's Little Pirate-Spanky and the gang search for pirate treasure but find a scary giant instead. 

9. Love Business-Jackie and Chubby both fall for Miss Crabtree. Funniest scenes are Jackie interrupting Chubby's romantic poems to the teacher. 

10. Sprucin' Up- Spanky and Alfalfa try to impress the pretty new neighbor. It ends with a very funny chinup contest. 

I would transfer them each at a time to DVD.  It takes a little time to label each chapter but is worth it.

If you don't have a recorder, take care of the tapes, play them only on a high quality VCR  another example why that format should never be abandoned.

• Thanks 2

AIEEE----

They didn't become known as "The Little Rascals" until about 1949,  27 years after the franchise originated.  Until then they were known as the "Our Gang" comedies.  THE LITTLE RASCALS name became popular only after the old "Our Gang" shorts became popular due to television syndication in the '50's.

I would hope more for an "Our Gang" revival.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I just found this on the internet, was sold by Amazon. May be able to obtain the set somewhere else.  Scroll  half way down for the list.

The Little Rascals, Complete 11 DVD Collection

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Rascals-Complete-DVD-Collection/dp/B001XUAPAQ

"Small Talk" is their first Vitaphone talkie.  There's a typo on one , "Railraodin" which is also Vitaphone.  I purchased that one on 16mm in 1979 when Blackhawk found the lost Vitaphone disc in a safe.

Our_Gang_1929_Railroadin.jpg

Technical info, Western Electric made all the electronic recording / reproduction equipment, Victor only pressed the 16 inch Vitaphone record.

Vitaphone-disk.jpg

11 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

AIEEE----

They didn't become known as "The Little Rascals" until about 1949,  27 years after the franchise originated.  Until then they were known as the "Our Gang" comedies.  THE LITTLE RASCALS name became popular only after the old "Our Gang" shorts became popular due to television syndication in the '50's.

I would hope more for an "Our Gang" revival.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Were also called His Rascals

Dogs_of_war_TITLE.JPEG

That's wonderful to hear about the restoration of the sound feature "Our Gang" shorts.  I'm wondering about the silent ones. Several years ago a company called Laughsmith (or something like that) was going to restore all the silent Our Gang shorts and put them on DVD but something fell short and it never happened. Does anyone know if these shorts have ever been restored? Sometimes they are shown on TCM and most of them are in pretty bad condition. 

And who can forget little BOBBY BLAKE as MICKEY worrying over his parent's breaking up over HASH?  ;) 

I liked that one even long before I knew who Blake was, or that it WAS Blake who was Mickey in the franchise. 

Sepiatone

24 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And who can forget little BOBBY BLAKE as MICKEY worrying over his parent's breaking up over HASH?  ;) 

I liked that one even long before I knew who Blake was, or that it WAS Blake who was Mickey in the franchise. 

Sepiatone

Those were the years when Our Gang stopped being funny, they were more like Sunday school lessons. And Robert Blake did not become a good actor until he was an adult, he was a horrible actor as a child.

6 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Those were the years when Our Gang stopped being funny, they were more like Sunday school lessons. And Robert Blake did not become a good actor until he was an adult, he was a horrible actor as a child.

Think they're acting more like kids than actors.

Just remembered "The Doubledeckers" of the 1970's weren't great actors either but who cared?

d6adb176541123e970c41837163c2b09.jpg

700612_600.png

21 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I somewhat disagree.  He was too naturally child-like as opposed to Bartholomew or O'Brien who were typically cast in roles as annoying precocious brats.  And Blake's Mexican kid in SIERRA MADRE  came off as more Mexican than many of my nephews!  :D 

But I agree about that period.  I never did care for that BILLY LAUGHLIN "Froggy" kid.

Sepiatone

23 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

One of these was on TCM last night and you are right.  ROBERT BLAKE was either terribly over directed or just bad. 

• 3 weeks later...