Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sure there are several films that are hard to find on TV, streaming, renting, and even purchasing.

For me, I'm working on finding a couple of Fred Astaire films that are impossible to find. Even physical copies are not compatible to US. 

• You Were Never Lovelier
  • Let's Dance

I hope TCM will have these films on TV.

What else should they add?

Anyone know of other sources to watch hard to find films?

• Like 1

I couldn't offer any info on sources, but films I'd like to see more often on TCM are (to name just a few)---

THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES ('37) with ROLAND YOUNG

PRESSURE POINT( '62) with BOBBY DARIN and SIDNEY POITIER

STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET('60) with KIRK DOUGLAS and KIM NOVACK.

Might find them on tape or disc, but would like to see TCM put 'em up

Sepiatone

I don't know where the OP is located, but I own a copy of You Were Never Lovelier.  Of the two Fred Astaire/Rita Hayworth films, 'Lovelier' is the easier of the two to find. 

I have some films on my list that I want to purchase, unfortunately, I don't think they're even available like The Very Thought of You (Eleanor Parker & Dennis Morgan); Honeymoon For Three (Ann Sheridan and George Brent); Dear Ruth (William Holden); It Happened Tomorrow (Dick Powell and Linda Darnell); A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Dorothy McGuire & Peggy Ann Garner).  I just have these films living on the DVR so I can keep watching them.  They are deleted when I find physical copies.  I also love the Max Ophuls films, like Letter to an Unknown Woman and Caught, but they seem to rarely air on TCM.  I do own 'Letter' so perhaps that doesn't quite fit with what the OP is saying.  I haven't found a copy of Caught yet.

Films that I want to see on TCM or home video, but rights issues are holding them up: The Perfect Specimen and Beyond the Forest

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know where the OP is located, but I own a copy of You Were Never Lovelier.  Of the two Fred Astaire/Rita Hayworth films, 'Lovelier' is the easier of the two to find. 

I have some films on my list that I want to purchase, unfortunately, I don't think they're even available like The Very Thought of You (Eleanor Parker & Dennis Morgan).  I also love the Max Ophuls films, like Letter to an Unknown Woman and Caught, but they seem to rarely air on TCM.

Luckily when TCM did air The Very Thought of You, Letter To An Unknown Woman and Caught, I taped them all. It seems like an eternity since TCM aired these films. Wish they would show them again. Programmers, are you out there, listen to your audience. There are so many great films that were in TCM's rotation years ago that are not being shown, it's a shame and so disappointing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Luckily when TCM did air The Very Thought of You, Letter To An Unknown Woman and Caught, I taped them all. It seems like an eternity since TCM aired these films. Wish they would show them again. Programmers, are you out there, listen to your audience. There are so many great films that were in TCM's rotation years ago that are not being shown, it's a shame and so disappointing.

I have The Very Thought of You living on the DVR.  I managed to purchase a copy of Letter to an Unknown Woman.  I know that Caught is at the library.  I've borrowed it a couple times to watch it again.  I really enjoy the Max Ophuls films.  They have a certain quality about them that I cannot describe, but I really love them.   With films like 'Thought' and 'Letter', I do love a good, intense, romantic film.  No cheesy rom-com cliches, an organic ending (read: not necessarily happy), I just love them.  

• Like 1

I have completely given up any semblance of hope that TCM will find and air The Man Who Reclaimed His Head, Remember Last Night?,  The Kiss Before the Mirror and any other A rated film that Universal put out in the thirties. 

TCM has definitely run Remember Last Night? in the past.  Some posters would probably start hyperventilating over the blackface scene, however, and demand TCM not run the movie again.

21 minutes ago, Fedya said:

TCM has definitely run Remember Last Night? in the past.  Some posters would probably start hyperventilating over the blackface scene, however, and demand TCM not run the movie again.

Remember Last Night is a fun James Whale directed film.      People will complain (that is their nature),    I just hope TCM has the backbone to ignore them.

Remember Last Night? (1935) - IMDb

4 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I have completely given up any semblance of hope that TCM will find and air The Man Who Reclaimed His Head, Remember Last Night?,  The Kiss Before the Mirror and any other A rated film that Universal put out in the thirties. 

Universal is probably holding back its catalog to feed its new Peacock streaming service. I don't know about the other titles you mention, but The Kiss Before the Mirror did come out on Universal's Vault (MOD) series.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Remember Last Night is a fun James Whale directed film.      People will complain (that is their nature),    I just hope TCM has the backbone to ignore them.

Thank you, Jimmy!

11 hours ago, vbehappy said:

I'm sure there are several films that are hard to find on TV, streaming, renting, and even purchasing.

For me, I'm working on finding a couple of Fred Astaire films that are impossible to find. Even physical copies are not compatible to US. 

• You Were Never Lovelier
  • Let's Dance

I hope TCM will have these films on TV.

What else should they add?

Anyone know of other sources to watch hard to find films?

Should try a little harder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lets-Dance-1950-DVD-Betty-Hutton-Fred-Astaire/174456472034?hash=item289e6a81e2:g:y2IAAOxytdlQ90Ru

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/You-Were-Never-Lovelier-DVD-Brand-New-Sealed-Fred-Astaire/143709947628?hash=item2175c7c6ec:g:OhYAAOSwL11fSymg

s-l1600.jpg

11 hours ago, vbehappy said:

Buy a region FREE Blu ray / DVD player.

Even though I had hacked a JVC DR-MV150 DVD/VCR recorder to play any region, a few months ago I purchased a REGION FREE Sony BDP-S6700 Blu ray / DVD player.  It even plays MP4 video files (i.e. downloaded converted Youtube), CD Video, some FLV and other computer videos.  It does not support .avi :(

c9QFREiG6EANpNkGERVbFE-1200-80.jpg

Sony-BDP-S3700-back_1859c2a6-88d4-4bfd-a

• Like 1

Kino has been putting out all kind of obscure stuff from the 30s and even the 20s that Universal owns, and that includes the 1929-1948 Paramount library. It looks like they are going through films that were already digitized and in the Universal Vault such as Supernatural and Kiss Before the Mirror, but they did make a deal for a bunch of Universal films. I'm hoping they put out Mystery of Edwin Drood and City Streets on Blu as there is already a digital copy of that. As for The Man Who Reclaimed His Head, the only copy I have ever seen in circulation was a DVD copy of a VHS tape that came from AMC in the old days. So that probably is not coming for awhile. Especially considering the current economic climate. 

4 hours ago, Fedya said:

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have never noticed that TCM has ever bowed to external pressure in the make-up of its schedules.  Not even mine.

8 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I have never noticed that TCM has ever bowed to external pressure in the make-up of its schedules.  Not even mine.

True.     I just hope they continue because external pressure has increased. 

Virtually every film posters have listed on this thread so far are available since I have them all on DVD. TCM was a source for most of them, but I have also found a few on the internet. The Man Who Reclaimed His Head, though, was a poor quality image. I found it somewhere (can't remember where) on the internet. So don't lose heart, folks, they are around. It just may take a while before you find them.

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Kino has been putting out all kind of obscure stuff from the 30s and even the 20s that Universal owns, and that includes the 1929-1948 Paramount library. It looks like they are going through films that were already digitized and in the Universal Vault such as Supernatural and Kiss Before the Mirror, but they did make a deal for a bunch of Universal films. I'm hoping they put out Mystery of Edwin Drood and City Streets on Blu as there is already a digital copy of that. As for The Man Who Reclaimed His Head, the only copy I have ever seen in circulation was a DVD copy of a VHS tape that came from AMC in the old days. So that probably is not coming for awhile. Especially considering the current economic climate. 

Never heard of that one.  Was it at the Lost and Found? 

miscellaneous-lost_and_found-lost_proper:P

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

they're getting alot of 'heat' from FB as well........

https://www.facebook.com/tcmtv/community/?ref=page_internal

-we'll see  :unsure:

giphy.gif

-KEEP IT UP !!

The FB post I can't figure out is this:

"As of today my mother has TCM. The connection with Sports Channels pushed the price to ridiculous. TCM format changes, has made TCM more often than not unwatchable. We've had TCM for 35 years plus years and we've pulled the plug. Thank you for the many decades of excellent movie choices, but its over and its time to move on."

How could this person have TCM since 1985?

5 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

How could this person have TCM since 1985?

I assume he/she is getting TCM and AMC confused.

I did find these posts interesting, looking at the TCM FB page for the first time ever. They're complaining about the same things! And maybe TCM even pays attention to the people there!

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

I assume he/she is getting TCM and AMC confused.

I did find these posts interesting, looking at the TCM FB page for the first time ever. They're complaining about the same things! And maybe TCM even pays attention to the people there!

Considering they probably did redesign to make it nicer for people using phones, people sure are complaining about how bad it is on a phone. And, yes, I think they pay literally no attention to us down here and do pay attention to people who post on Facebook. The best possible outcome would be for TCM to back out this bad design. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Considering they probably did redesign to make it nicer for people using phones, people sure are complaining about how bad it is on a phone. And, yes, I think they pay literally no attention to us down here and do pay attention to people who post on Facebook.

If people post complaining about the same things on face as people do on the boards, then it follows they are ignored in like manner.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

If people post complaining about the same things on face as people do on the boards, then it follows they are ignored in like manner.

I'm not entirely sure that's true. TCmM does at least seem to be aware of the existence of the other forums. Look at Eddie Mueller asking TCM watchers to like Noir Alley on Facebook and Twitter at the end of each of his episodes. If anyone who works for TCM is even aware of the existence of these boards, I've never seen them mention it on air.