Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Question will TCM  air movies if they're in public domain?

Many are released on DVD-R and dirt cheap.

Yes they will.  One I know they've shown often is Charade, which has been PD since it was released, due to a copyrighting error.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Yes they will.  One I know they've shown often is Charade, which has been PD since it was released, due to a copyrighting error.

 

Charade (1963) COLOR Runtime 1 hour 53 minutes

Release Date: 1963 and was automatically public domain because it did not have a correct copyright notice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cary-Grant-3-Movies-Film-Collection-Plus-Trailers-On-3-DVDs-Great-Quality-On-All/264038698140?hash=item3d79eecc9c:g:sxsAAOSwezRb6167

Like I said dirt cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 11:16 AM, Janet0312 said:

I have completely given up any semblance of hope that TCM will find and air The Man Who Reclaimed His Head, Remember Last Night?,  *The Kiss Before the Mirror and any other A rated film that Universal put out in the thirties. 

 *"The Kiss  Before the Mirror"  was directed by James Whale in 1933. The remake of the film, "Wives Under Suspicion" (1938) was also directed by Whale. I have a DVD of the remake.

 The 1938 remake was one of the last films James Whale made under his Universal contract.

"Wives Under Suspicion", starred Warren William and Gail Patrick.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two films that immediately spring to mind are two Best Picture nominees that, from what I've read, exist only in single prints at the UCLA film archive.  Namely, "East Lynne" (lost to the worst Best Picture winner ever, "Cimarron") and "The White Parade" (lost to "It Happened One Night").  If someone, somewhere, would fork over a little $$$ to get digitized versions of those films made available....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vidor said:

Two films that immediately spring to mind are two Best Picture nominees that, from what I've read, exist only in single prints at the UCLA film archive.  Namely, "East Lynne" (lost to the worst Best Picture winner ever, "Cimarron") and "The White Parade" (lost to "It Happened One Night").  If someone, somewhere, would fork over a little $$$ to get digitized versions of those films made available....

Both of these movies are Fox productions. Wouldn't count on the House of Mouse licensing these titles to TCM any time soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Both of these movies are Fox productions. Wouldn't count on the House of Mouse licensing these titles to TCM any time soon.

If requested from Disney+, they might put it on Hulu or Disney+

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp

Select "Give Feedback" on the top, then on the dropdown select "Request a Film or Show"

I have no idea how long it would take for them to put it out there. But I wonder if enough requests come in, maybe they will prioritize it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 8:44 AM, speedracer5 said:

I don't know where the OP is located, but I own a copy of You Were Never Lovelier.  Of the two Fred Astaire/Rita Hayworth films, 'Lovelier' is the easier of the two to find. 

I have some films on my list that I want to purchase, unfortunately, I don't think they're even available like The Very Thought of You (Eleanor Parker & Dennis Morgan); Honeymoon For Three (Ann Sheridan and George Brent); Dear Ruth (William Holden); It Happened Tomorrow (Dick Powell and Linda Darnell); A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Dorothy McGuire & Peggy Ann Garner).  I just have these films living on the DVR so I can keep watching them.  They are deleted when I find physical copies.  I also love the Max Ophuls films, like Letter to an Unknown Woman and Caught, but they seem to rarely air on TCM.  I do own 'Letter' so perhaps that doesn't quite fit with what the OP is saying.  I haven't found a copy of Caught yet.

Films that I want to see on TCM or home video, but rights issues are holding them up: The Perfect Specimen and Beyond the Forest

Oh!!! I want both films if I can find it. On Amazon, I can find a digital & physical copy for You'll Never Get Rich easily. Seeing the reviews, the physical copy works fine in the US. But You Were Never Lovelier seem to have mixed reviews and no digital copy anywhere. I will be on the lookout.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, vbehappy said:

Oh!!! I want both films if I can find it. On Amazon, I can find a digital & physical copy for You'll Never Get Rich easily. Seeing the reviews, the physical copy works fine in the US. But You Were Never Lovelier seem to have mixed reviews and no digital copy anywhere. I will be on the lookout.

https://www.amazon.com/Were-Never-Lovelier-Fred-Astaire/dp/B0001LJCRA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=you'll+never+be+lovelier&qid=1601944852&sr=8-3

It looks like you may need to buy used.  I personally buy used movies all the time and never have any issues.  I usually stick to listings that state "Like New" or "Very Good." I'm guessing that this movie might be out of print, which would explain the lack of availability.  I bought my copy in a used movie shop in Portland and it was only $8. 

https://www.amazon.com/Youll-Never-Rich-Fred-Astaire/dp/B00PMM6NSO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=you'll+never+get+rich&qid=1601944995&sr=8-1

This movie seems to be even more rare.  I'm wondering if it's because there's a special Twilight Time Blu Ray edition and perhaps they had the distribution rights for awhile. Not sure though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, speedracer5 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Were-Never-Lovelier-Fred-Astaire/dp/B0001LJCRA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=you'll+never+be+lovelier&qid=1601944852&sr=8-3

It looks like you may need to buy used.  I personally buy used movies all the time and never have any issues.  I usually stick to listings that state "Like New" or "Very Good." I'm guessing that this movie might be out of print, which would explain the lack of availability.  I bought my copy in a used movie shop in Portland and it was only $8. 

https://www.amazon.com/Youll-Never-Rich-Fred-Astaire/dp/B00PMM6NSO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=you'll+never+get+rich&qid=1601944995&sr=8-1

This movie seems to be even more rare.  I'm wondering if it's because there's a special Twilight Time Blu Ray edition and perhaps they had the distribution rights for awhile. Not sure though. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH! 

I must give in and buy used HAHA!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 7:36 PM, TomJH said:

Virtually every film posters have listed on this thread so far are available since I have them all on DVD. TCM was a source for most of them, but I have also found a few on the internet. The Man Who Reclaimed His Head, though, was a poor quality image. I found it somewhere (can't remember where) on the internet. So don't lose heart, folks, they are around. It just may take a while before you find them.

There was a poster of a Warner Baxter and Sally Eilers movie that has been lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...