Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tommy Rall (1929-2020)

Dancer/actor Tommy Rall has died at the age of 90.  He appeared in Broadway musicals, including Milk and Honey, and films such as Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Kiss Me Kate, Funny Girl, and many others.

70cfc1df0b323890ec459b78bbb591d0.jpg

• Thanks 4

I really liked his hybrid dancing style. He had a really nice singing voice, as well. My favorite dance he appeared in is a duet with Bob Fosse from MY SISTER EILEEN.

Here is a TV performance from 1955.

I read that he was in Hospice for the past few weeks and was receiving fan/well wishes mail, which the nurses would read to him. They got through the entire stack and he passed away shortly thereafter.

~RIP

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Tommy Rall was the most technically perfect young male dancer they had at MGM in the last throes of the musical.

I wish he could have done more leading roles.

I think he was the last MGM male feature dancer standing or should I say plie'ing.:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few of Tommy Rall's later film roles that some folks may not be aware that he was in them were:

FUNNY GIRL- as Barbra Streisand's partner in her "Swan Lake" parody:

PENNIES FROM HEAVEN-  as part of a trio performance which included Steve Martin and Robert Fitch:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
On 10/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, sagebrush said:

I really liked his hybrid dancing style. He had a really nice singing voice, as well. My favorite dance he appeared in is a duet with Bob Fosse from MY SISTER EILEEN.

Here is a TV performance from 1955.

I read that he was in Hospice for the past few weeks and was receiving fan/well wishes mail, which the nurses would read to him. They got through the entire stack and he passed away shortly thereafter.

~RIP

I was exhausted just watching that clip of That Old Black Magic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just watched Kiss Me Kate for the first time earlier this year and remember looking up the movie information on imdb (as I do for almost everything I watch) and was happy to see that Tommy Rall was still alive.  I am sorry to hear that he has passed.

I really loved him in 'Kate,' and I thought he was great in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

• Like 1

I adored Tommy Rall. Great dancer, style, strength and high flying. In Kiss Me Kate he is fantastic. I loved the pairing of him and Ann Miller. They should have paired those two together at least two more times.  They could have stolen the show if paired together as seconds to Gene Kelly in some of his less charming musicals. 

If you had T. R. In Good News it would have give Joan McCracken an equally energetic partner for Pass that Peace pipe” not taking away from Ray Mc Donald who did a good job. Just picture that dance number with T. R. Wow! 

I will truly miss him. 

• Like 4

In this kind of obscure musical from Universal in 1955, THE SECOND GREATEST SEX, there was a musical number very much like the barn dance from SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS except Tommy Rall seemed to be more of the featured soloist in this one (and the last dancer standing.) Too bad it's in CinemaScope, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When Gene Kelly's wife, Patricia, asked him about other dancers, Kelly replied "The best all-around dancer we had over at MGM was Tommy Rall.  He could do anything and do it better than any other dancer."

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, NewYorkGuy said:

Friends and I have been surprised that The New York Times has not run an obituary for him. 

WEIRD.