Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One of my pet peeves is when someone mistakenly says that PSYCHO was a Universal film.  It was a Paramount release.  Universal just has the house on its lot.  Dave Karger made this mistake in his post-film comments for CASH ON DEMAND.  We all make mistakes, Dave.  I still look forward to your commentary.

5 minutes ago, Adabruno said:

One of my pet peeves is when someone mistakenly says that PSYCHO was a Universal film.  It was a Paramount release.  Universal just has the house on its lot.  Dave Karger made this mistake in his post-film comments for CASH ON DEMAND.  We all mistakes, Dave.  I still look forward to your commentary.

If Karger said "was a Universal film" then he was mistaken.    But if he said "is now owned by Universal" he would be correct.

As I'm sure you know the film was only distributed by Paramount.  It was never owned by them but instead Hitchcock's own production company,  Shamley Productions,  which was later sold to various companies before landing in the hands of Universal.

What he said was that Hammer made a few non-horror thrillers to try to cash in on the success Universal had had with Psycho.  A curious thing to say,  regardless of the company sited.   But, yes, it was released by Paramount.  They didn't produce it.  But Paramount would clearly be the company to site in that situation, not Universal.

1 hour ago, Adabruno said:

What he said was that Hammer made a few non-horror thrillers to try to cash in on the success Universal had had with Psycho.  A curious thing to say,  regardless of the company sited.   But, yes, it was released by Paramount.  They didn't produce it.  But Paramount would clearly be the company to site in that situation, not Universal.

Yes,  in the context of "success" saying Universal is flat out wrong since Universal did make any cash from Psycho until decades after it was released. 

But since the film was produced and owned by Hitchcock's production company mentioning the studio that just distributed the film isn't correct either  (IMO).   It is my understanding Hitchcock and his company made more in direct profits from the film than Paramount.        Thus if I was trying to make such a point I would have mentioned both Hitchcock and Paramount. 

Bottom line is that the host are often clueless of nuances like this.