Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so what IS the WORST FILM Bela Lugosi ever made?


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, SansFin said:

It is my understanding that the current version of that old question is: If a man speaks and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

I thought it was "If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around to hear it, is it still the man's fault?"

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Is this thread literally asking "What is the worst film Lugosi was in?" or is it asking "What was Lugosi's worst performance?". Because the second question I would need to think about. I have seen Lugosi in lots of films that were not very good, but often he was the best thing in those films. 

For example, the worst film Lugosi was IN would be Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla, the Duke Mitchell & Sammy Petrillo comedy that had the pants sued off of them by Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, for...oh, watch the trailer, it's pretty darn shameless.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I just slowly scrolled through the list of all the SOTM's on that thread, and I didn't see his name anywhere. Possibly he's had a SUTS day.

Boris Karloff was SOTM in October, 2003.

Yeah, I remember Karloff. Wonder why they are ignoring Lugosi? They have plenty of films to choose from!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I remember Karloff. Wonder why they are ignoring Lugosi? They have plenty of films to choose from!

I agree.   The question of why Lugosi hasn't been SOTM for October has been an open one for 20 years now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Just weird!

As I'm sure you know there is the hard-to-get-Universal-films excuse,   but TCM has shown many of his Universal films so that is a lame excuse.

It isn't just weird,  it is spooky.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FOR MY MONEY, it's MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE.

I strongly disagree. The film is well-made and Bela is in very fine form - probably his best work since A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN. Between the Sam Katzman pictures and the Ed Wood catastrophies Lugosi had plenty of nadirs, not to mention SCARED TO DEATH. But the Mother Riley picture (released here in the 60's as MY SON THE VAMPIRE) is not one of them.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

For example, the worst film Lugosi was IN would be Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla, the Duke Mitchell & Sammy Petrillo comedy that had the pants sued off of them by Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, for...oh, watch the trailer, it's pretty darn shameless.

Yeah I have to admit this is one I have not yet seen...

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As I'm sure you know there is the hard-to-get-Universal-films excuse,   but TCM has shown many of his Universal films so that is a lame excuse.

It isn't just weird,  it is spooky.

 

I'm sure they could've come up with 16. They show them enough throughout the year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I will throw out that while I love KARLOFF, he made at least two Mexican (?) movies right before he died and they are baaaaaaaaad. 


although he also made TARGETS which rocks.
 

Karloff also did a lot of T.V. work as a guest star and most of the time he was very good.      

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

I strongly disagree. The film is well-made and Bela is in very fine form - probably his best work since A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN. Between the Sam Katzman pictures and the Ed Wood catastrophies Lugosi had plenty of nadirs, not to mention *SCARED TO DEATH. But the Mother Riley picture (released here in the 60's as MY SON THE VAMPIRE) is not one of them.

I watched "Scared To Death" a half a dozen times on TV before I ever saw the whole movie.

It was so bad that I usually fell asleep before the end.

But I would watch it again and again because I couldn't believe that anything could be that bad and get even worse in the end.

As bad as some of Bela'a movies have been, I can't say that he ever gave a bad performance personally.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I had NO IDEA MOTHER RILEY had so many fans! 
She’s more popular than DAME EDNA! 

The entire series of Mother Riley movies was relatively even in quality. It is sad to say that this was not the best quality or even "above-average for B movies" quality. The ratio of brilliant moments and "my eyes, my eyes" moments did not vary greatly from movie to movie.

I believe it is very much a like-it-or-loathe-it premise. It is also that it is very dated and many of the jokes concern people, places and situations unknown to most viewers today. The simple fact that they made so many indicates they were relatively popular at the time. 

I feel that: Old Mother Riley M.P. (1939) and Old Mother Riley's Ghosts (1941) are among the best in the series. I feel that: Old Mother Riley's New Venture (1949), Old Mother Riley, Headmistress (1950), Vampire Over London (1952) and Old Mother Riley in Society (1940) are among the worst. The fact that it was easy to identify twice as many bad ones as good ones speaks much about the series.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SansFin said:

The entire series of Mother Riley movies was relatively even in quality. It is sad to say that this was not the best quality or even "above-average for B movies" quality. The ratio of brilliant moments and "my eyes, my eyes" moments did not vary greatly from movie to movie.

I believe it is very much a like-it-or-loathe-it premise. It is also that it is very dated and many of the jokes concern people, places and situations unknown to most viewers today. The simple fact that they made so many indicates they were relatively popular at the time. 

I feel that: Old Mother Riley M.P. (1939) and Old Mother Riley's Ghosts (1941) are among the best in the series. I feel that: Old Mother Riley's New Venture (1949), Old Mother Riley, Headmistress (1950), Vampire Over London (1952) and Old Mother Riley in Society (1940) are among the worst. The fact that it was easy to identify twice as many bad ones as good ones speaks much about the series.

I really hate that PETER CUSHING** didn't take over the role when ARTHUR LUCAN died so that the world could've seen OLD MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE DALEKS, 2020 AD.

 

I might have to check out OLD MOTHER RILEY MP (she HAD to be Labor, yes?) 1939 was the year that WAR was declared between Britain and Germany (yes?) so I'm wondering if this is maybe the MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON of BRITISH B-MOVIE DRAG CINEMA, rife with socio-political commentary...or just more weird poorly recorded, off-key musical numbers performed at virtual standstill.

 

**or PATRICK TROUGHTON

Link to post
Share on other sites

GET MAD IF YOU WANT, BUT I AM 40 minutes(ish)** into OLD MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE on TUBI.

THUS FAR I STAND 100% BEHIND MY ORIGINAL ASSESSMENT OF THIS MOVIE.

 

**NOTE: time dissolves like a tissue under the faucet when watching this movie, so that 40 minutes is an estimate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

night-monster-bela-lugosi-1942-everett.j

I also watched NIGHT MONSTER (1942) a film a lot of people like a lot (I think they came across it on TV as part of the old SHOCK THEATER package?)

(spoilers)

 

for me, it does not hold up, and even fans of LUGOSI admit he is poorly used here, (as a Butler, he only has maybe ten minutes of screen time and his characters fate is unresolved at the end). It's also an odd part for LIONEL ATWILL, but I think at this point, LIONEL was taking what he could get.

I do enjoy the weird TORMENTED LESBIAN SUBPLOT between JENNY from THE WOLF MAN and THE HOUSEKEEPER, that ends in someone setting fire to the joint.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

night-monster-bela-lugosi-1942-everett.j

I also watched NIGHT MONSTER (1942) a film a lot of people like a lot (I think they came across it on TV as part of the old SHOCK THEATER package?)

(spoilers)

 

for me, it does not hold up, and even fans of LUGOSI admit he is poorly used here, (as a Butler, he only has maybe ten minutes of screen time and his characters fate is unresolved at the end). It's also an odd part for LIONEL ATWILL, but I think at this point, LIONEL was taking what he could get.

I do enjoy the weird TORMENTED LESBIAN SUBPLOT between JENNY from THE WOLF MAN and THE HOUSEKEEPER, that ends in someone setting fire to the joint.

I wasn't crazy about it either.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Oh no!  NINOTCHKA might be the only film of GRETA GARBO's that I genuinely like... and BELA LUGOSI's performance (as small a part as it is) is the main reason.  Even in CRAP I always enjoy BELA !!! 

Well, I did make the distinction.  NINOTCHKA  being the worst film he was in  and  MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE being his worst performance;) 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...