Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so what IS the WORST FILM Bela Lugosi ever made?

On 10/8/2020 at 9:45 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's been a while since i started a thread and i am in a VOLATILE MOOD this morning and need something to calm my tormented mind, like one of those "A tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" type meditation-provoking questions.

FOR MY MONEY, it's MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE.

I won't have anyone dissing Mother Riley! It's true, the film suffers from an ambiguous ending, but any film that has Mother Riley singing "I lift up my finger and I say tweet tweet, shush shush, now now, come come" earns a place in the pantheon of great films.  And what's more, Mother Riley sings it with her backup girls, played by two beloved English actresses: Hattie Jacques and Dandy Nichols. 

Here's a photo of Dandy and Hattie as backup.

Old_Mother_Riley_Meets_The_Vampire3.jpg

• Thanks 1

And speaking of that great song in Old Mother Riley Meets the Vampire, it was written by Leslie Sarony, who also wrote this equally enjoyable ditty:

As for Bela Lugosi, I think he always gave a good performance. As far as the films go, I remember not liking One Body too Many that much, although Bela enjoys a nice cup of coffee with Blanche Yurka at the end of the film.

MV5BZWJmMGRhNzYtMWQwNi00NmU2LThjMzAtNDQx

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, I did make the distinction.  NINOTCHKA  being the worst film he was in  and  MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE being his worst performance;) 

Sepiatone

I really like Ninotchka.    It is also my favorite Garbo film.    Douglas is first rate as is the entire cast.     

One that doesn't find the film funny must be channeling the Russian side of Ninotchka. 

• Thanks 1

I also have to voice my support for Ninotchka. It's one of TCM's MGM warhorses that I will always stop down for if I see it's on. Melvyn Douglas was never more charming, and it's my favorite Garbo performance. Also love Felix Bressart and the other two character actors whose names escape me at the moment as the three dignitaries who are quickly seduced by Western luxuries.

• Thanks 1
On 10/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, Swithin said:

I won't have anyone dissing Mother Riley! It's true, the film suffers from an ambiguous ending, but any film that has Mother Riley singing "I lift up my finger and I say tweet tweet, shush shush, now now, come come" earns a place in the pantheon of great films.  And what's more, Mother Riley sings it with her backup girls, played by two beloved English actresses: Hattie Jacques and Dandy Nichols. 

Here's a photo of Dandy and Hattie as backup.

Old_Mother_Riley_Meets_The_Vampire3.jpg

Btw, to get back to Old Mother Riley for a moment, Dandy Nichols (left) created the role of Elsie Garnett  in the British series Till Death Us Do Part, which inspired All in the Family. Elsie Garnett was the original Edith Bunker. Hattie Jacques (right) played Matron and many other characters in the Carry On films.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Swithin said:

Btw, to get back to Old Mother Riley for a moment, Dandy Nichols (left) created the role of Elsie Garnett  in the British series Till Death Us Do Part, which inspired All in the Family. Elsie Garnett was the original Edith Bunker. Hattie Jacques (right) played Matron and many other characters in the Carry On films.

Did you ever see Wilfred Bramble in "Steptoe and Son"?  "Sanford and Son" was the American copy. Wilfred Bramble entertained a whole generation of Beatlemaniacs as Paul's "clean" grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night".

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Did you ever see Wilfred Bramble in "Steptoe and Son"?  "Sanford and Son" was the American copy. Wilfred Bramble entertained a whole generation of Beatlemaniacs as Paul's "clean" grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night".

I think I've seen Steptoe once or twice, but I'm not that familiar with it. Wilfred Bramble is also in Witchfinder General, one of the greatest horror films ever made -- and the most utterly depressing.  My friend Victor Spinetti was in A Hard Day's Night (and other Beatles movies).  

• Like 1

THESE ARE THE BOTTOM RATED LUGOSI TITLES AS PER IMDB- (THERE ARE SOME BELOW THESE WITH A "ZERO" RATING, BUT I THINK THAT IS BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN LOST AND ARE UNSEEN.)

The Mysterious Mr. Wong

Rate

Return of the Ape Man
119. Return of the Ape Man (1944)

Rate

Lulu
120. Lulu (1918)

Rate

The Gorilla
121. The Gorilla (1939)

Rate

The Phantom Creeps
122. The Phantom Creeps (1939)

Rate

Chandu on the Magic Island

Rate

The Ape Man
124. The Ape Man (1943)

Rate

Shadow of Chinatown
125. Shadow of Chinatown (I) (1936)

Rate

The Corpse Vanishes
126. The Corpse Vanishes (1942)

Rate

Murder by Television
127. Murder by Television (1935)

Rate

Black Dragons
128. Black Dragons (1942)

Rate

Glen or Glenda
129. Glen or Glenda (1953)

Rate

Bride of the Monster
130. Bride of the Monster (1955)

Rate

Scared to Death
131. Scared to Death (1947)

Rate

Vampire Over London
132. Vampire Over London (1952)

Rate

Rate

Bill Slater Show

101 to 150 of 168 titles | « Previous | Next »

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OIP.KRmzpM2GZgqGi0pZwe42rAHaET?pid=Api&r CAME ACROSS THIS ONLINE AND FELT THE NEED TO SHARE.

(Surely I am not the only one to notice BELA JR was FINE)

I met Bela Jr years ago at an autograph show. He was just walking around and he signed a book I had just bought (called "Bela Lugosi" by Gary J and Susan Svehla), didn't even charge me anything for the autograph. He was nice and personable and very tall, I am 5'11 and he towered  over me. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I met Bela Jr years ago at an autograph show. He was just walking around and he signed a book I had just bought (called "Bela Lugosi" by Gary J and Susan Svehla), didn't even charge me anything for the autograph. He was nice and personable and very tall, I am 5'11 and he towered  over me. 

He comes off as a SUPER NICE GUY in EVERY INTERVIEW I've seen him in. There is also NO MISTAKING HIS PATERNITY- he looks SO MUCH LIKE his father.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

BELA LUGOSI Jr. fought hard to preserve his father's legacy.  I've only read good things about him and his devotion to his father. 

and as I recall, UNIVERSAL has been kind of shifty when it comes to not sharing the profits they still reap from Bela's likeness with his family.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, Hibi said:

Yeah, I remember Karloff. Wonder why they are ignoring Lugosi? They have plenty of films to choose from!

This has been one of the greatest mysteries of TCM :) .     He was honored during the 2006 SUTS but since then nothing other than a night here or there.  Many of his films are super cheap to acquire and even many of the Universal films have been aired numerous times.   I adore Peter Cushing and think he is very deserving of his SOTM but I was really hoping for Lugosi ... finally.  Maybe someday.  Come on TCM,  you can do it.  :)   

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BTW, IF YOU WANT YOUR MIND BLOWN KEEP READING...

Okay, you ready? ..WHAT DO YOU THINK THE WORST MOVIE JOHN CARRADINE EVER APPEARED IN WAS?

tenor.gif

BLOOD OF DRACULA'S CASTLE (1969)  The greatest sin for any film is to be BORING