Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Barrett SCOTUS hearing ?

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I have a friend in England who travelled to Detroit to give a talk at a car show.  He was perplexed that each and every American who also gave a talk had to speak about God and their religion  at one point or another.

Welcome to America. Are you washed in the brake fluid of Jesus? You can bet that any event around here,

however non-religious, will start with a prayer. Thankfully they usually don't go into a personal tetimonial

about the path they took to end up as BFFs with Jesus.

I don't watch these SC confirmation hearings. First, I don't want to listen to some wingnut for

hours on end. Secondly it's like watching a rerun of a Super Bowl. You already know how it's going

to end, so why bother?

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

why wouldn't amy coney barrett be entitled to a deeply conservative philosophy?

would you say the same of ruth bader ginsburg's deeply liberal one?

This deeply conservative philosophy seems bent on curtailing people's freedoms and suppressing the right to vote.  It also continuously favours big business and the rich over the individual.  This is not the year 1150.  It's simply on the wrong side of history.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

why wouldn't amy coney barrett be entitled to a deeply conservative philosophy?

would you say the same of ruth bader ginsburg's deeply liberal one?

I agree.   But Dems need to continue to dodge their real disappointment;  putting up a lousy candidate in Hillary Clinton who due to incompetent staff ran a lousy,  losing campaign.

But that will NOT be the case in 2020!   I'm predicting Biden will get over 300 in the EC!

• Like 2
22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree.   But Dems need to continue to dodge their real disappointment;  putting up a lousy candidate in Hillary Clinton who due to incompetent staff ran a lousy,  losing campaign.

But that will NOT be the case in 2020!   I'm predicting Biden will get over 300 in the EC!

Only if this time's Dem leaning voters get up off their A$$es and vote.   Too many did not in 2016. It is not about electing Biden so much as it is about throwing Trump out of office.

Add in the voter suppression by the GOP run states and the vote will be very close.  On the other hand, I hope you are right.

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Another thing to thank the Electoral College for.

Not so much the EC as the number of Dem leaning voters who failed to vote in 2016.  If they had voted in the swing states, Hillary would be president.

6 hours ago, ElCid said:

Not so much the EC as the number of Dem leaning voters who failed to vote in 2016.  If they had voted in the swing states, Hillary would be president.

Absent the dumb EC system, Clinton would have won in 2016 without one more voter voting.

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Absent the dumb EC system, Clinton would have won in 2016 without one more voter voting.

We debated the EC after the last election.  It will be with us forever - or at least out lifetimes.  Just as two senators per state will be with us forever.

What people can do is get out and vote and then the EC won't matter so much.  If the Dem leaning people in the swing states who did not vote had voted, Clinton would be president by a huge EC margin.  If the blacks who voted for Obama had voted or the Berniecrats had voted, Clinton would have won.

It is not the EC, but people too lazy, indifferent or too ignorant to see the big picture.

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, ElCid said:

We debated the EC after the last election.  It will be with us forever - or at least out lifetimes.  Just as two senators per state will be with us forever.

What people can do is get out and vote and then the EC won't matter so much.  If the Dem leaning people in the swing states who did not vote had voted, Clinton would be president by a huge EC margin.  If the blacks who voted for Obama had voted or the Berniecrats had voted, Clinton would have won.

It is not the EC, but people too lazy, indifferent or too ignorant to see the big picture.

I think the EC may be abolished or made irrelevant, but I agree it will not be anytime soon, unfortunately.

The EC is an idea whose time has passed, if it ever made sense in the first place. It's like having a U.S. Senate

seat won by whoever wins the most counties in a state and not the popular vote in that state. 

On 10/15/2020 at 4:33 AM, Bogie56 said:

This deeply conservative philosophy seems bent on curtailing people's freedoms and suppressing the right to vote.  It also continuously favours big business and the rich over the individual.  This is not the year 1150.  It's simply on the wrong side of history.

and for 5 or 6 decades now a deeply liberal scotus has consistently been stomping on a lot of americans of faith's religious values.

it works both ways so lets see how liberals fare being spat on for a few decades

:D.

38 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

and for 5 or 6 decades now a deeply liberal scotus has consistently been stomping on a lot of americans of faith's religious values.

it works both ways so lets see how liberals fare being spat on for a few decades

:D.

What religious values have you been denied lately?  I mean besides those good old ones where you get to persecute others that are different from you?

I think the problem with divisiveness in America is clearly in your court.  You will never solve things by going Trump's zero sum method.

19 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I think the EC may be abolished or made irrelevant, but I agree it will not be anytime soon, unfortunately.

The EC is an idea whose time has passed, if it ever made sense in the first place. It's like having a U.S. Senate

seat won by whoever wins the most counties in a state and not the popular vote in that state. 

The Electoral College will be around forever probably.  It is a protection for the small states, just as the two senators per state are.  Only way to remove it is have 3/4's of states agree and that is not going to happen.  Assuming it ever got out of the Senate where it requires a 2/3' vote, as it does in the House.

People forget this is the United STATES or America.  Unlike every other nation in the world.