Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Barrett SCOTUS hearing ?

Lindsey Graham is paying a heavy price for his duplicity. Jaime Harrison is now even with or ahead of Graham by 2-3 percentage points. He is always on Fox News whining about where all of this money (for Harrison) is coming from. Oh the irony. 

1 minute ago, LsDoorMat said:

Lindsey Graham is paying a heavy price for his duplicity. Jaime Harrison is now even with or ahead of Graham by 2-3 percentage points. He is always on Fox News whining about where all of this money (for Harrison) is coming from. Oh the irony. 

Which poll is showing Harrison ahead?  As a life-long South Carolinian living in the district Graham represented when he was in the House, I believe he will win.  But, he is worried.  In the past if I sent him an email about something, it would be 3-4 weeks before I got an answer, whereas now it is 24-48 hours.

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

:huh:

Under origianalism, Amy Barrett would not be allowed to vote, much less serve on a court.  Nor would blacks.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Which poll is showing Harrison ahead?  As a life-long South Carolinian living in the district Graham represented when he was in the House, I believe he will win.  But, he is worried.  In the past if I sent him an email about something, it would be 3-4 weeks before I got an answer, whereas now it is 24-48 hours.

I can't copy the image, but here is the link to the latest 538 polls for South Carolina.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/south-carolina/

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Time to start a movement for a state convention to split the state?  

Such a movement has been going on for over 20 years.     It just doesn't get enough traction.  

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Such a movement has been going on for over 20 years.     It just doesn't get enough traction.  

Nor would it in any state.

17 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I can't copy the image, but here is the link to the latest 538 polls for South Carolina.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/south-carolina/

538 based on this survey group:  1 Survey conducted by brilliant corners Research & Strategies via land line and cell phone from October 11st to October 16th . The sample was 525 likely voters in South Carolina and includes an African American voter oversample. The margin of error for this poll is +/- 4.6% at a 95 percent confidence interval. Those who already voted are asked who they voted for and included in the horse race.

An African-American oversample sounds like they sample a higher number of them than the percentage of voters in S.C.  That is a problem.  One survey showed Cunningham ahead by several points in the Charleston House race.  Of course, that was from a group that favors Democrats.

At one point in 2016, the Clinton campaign reported data showing they were going to win S.C. - one of the reddest states in the nation.  She lost by a lot.

2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

538 based on this survey group:  1 Survey conducted by brilliant corners Research & Strategies via land line and cell phone from October 11st to October 16th . The sample was 525 likely voters in South Carolina and includes an African American voter oversample. The margin of error for this poll is +/- 4.6% at a 95 percent confidence interval. Those who already voted are asked who they voted for and included in the horse race.

An African-American oversample sounds like they sample a higher number of them than the percentage of voters in S.C.  That is a problem.  One survey showed Cunningham ahead by several points in the Charleston House race.  Of course, that was from a group that favors Democrats.

At one point in 2016, the Clinton campaign reported data showing they were going to win S.C. - one of the reddest states in the nation.  She lost by a lot.

I don't know what will ultimately happen. I do know Lindsey is worried about all of the money Harrison is getting from small donations from across the country.  People have been standing in line to vote there too, and people who are sublimely happy with the way things are generally do not do that. 

8 hours ago, ElCid said:

As I suggested, maybe you want to start a thread on the EC?  Of find the old one from 2016?

What you say is partially true.   While those of us who vote elect representatives by popular vote, under the Constitution not all votes are the same.  Most obvious is the two senators from each state.  Even the representatives are not evenly divided by population.  Each state, no matter how unpopulated, is guaranteed one seat.  Then the other385 seats are assigned using the method of equal proportions. (see Wiki).

The number of people each representative represents is not exactly the same from state to state or district to district.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_apportionment

The last part of your post is correct historically, but the founding fathers did not envision the impact of two political parties, the vast sums of money the rich and corporations would bring to bear and vast array of aspects of life after 1850 or so.  Which is why having "originalists" such as Amy Barrett on the Supreme Court is just plain stupid.

No sense in starting a thread about the EC now as it only is of interest during an election. Between elections

the topic loses steam, which is unfortunate. Of course the founders couldn't see how much the country would

change over 200+ years. I can see taking into account what the Constitution says, but not without also taking

into account what contemporary events are. I've always thought originalism was largely a conservative scam

so they have a reason for their decisions. It is a good strategy. If you have some semi-mystical belief that you

know exactly what the original Constitution says, how can you be wrong?

14 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I don't know what will ultimately happen. I do know Lindsey is worried about all of the money Harrison is getting from small donations from across the country.  People have been standing in line to vote there too, and people who are sublimely happy with the way things are generally do not do that. 

I have voted here and have passed by the early voting locations.  Sometimes a line; sometimes not.  The GOPers are very strong in SC and are heavy voters, as are the GOPer leaning "independents."

I voted for Harrison, but I don't think he will win.  He just doesn't have that much appeal.  He has no real work experience, other than working for S.C. and National Democratic Parties.  In 2010 Nikki Haley ran against state Sen. Vincent Sheheen for governor.  The vote was 51% to 47% for Haley in a state that has not elected a Dem governor in decades.  I think he could have made a better run  against Graham, or someone like him.

Another aspect that isn't mentioned, but is in a lot of voter's minds is that if Harrison won, S.C. would be the only state ever to have two African-American US senators at the same time.  Sen. Tim Scott is Republican from Charleston SC.  Harrison is also from the lower part of the state, as is Scott, so that may affect how some people in upper part of state vote.  Graham is from upper part of state.

10 hours ago, mr6666 said:

I'm not sure how this will work.  I have served on several government councils, boards or commissions.  A quorum is met when a majority of the members are present.  Since a majority of the committee is Republican, seems to me the quorum is met.  Of course, House and Senate have always had weird procedural rules.

Regardless, I am sure McConnell and Graham will find a way to get the nomination to the floor and confirmed, so Amy can be sworn in in time to vote for Trump in any election disputes.  Count on it.

JUST IN: Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously votes on nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, 12-0,
as committee Democrats boycotted the roll call.

==========================================

Nothing about this is normal
-Despite a rule requiring two members of the opposing party be present to conduct business,
the GOP ignored a committee boycott

and rammed through this sham vote anyway.
<_<
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

JUST IN: Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously votes on nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, 12-0,
as committee Democrats boycotted the roll call.

==========================================

Nothing about this is normal
-Despite a rule requiring two members of the opposing party be present to conduct business,
the GOP ignored a committee boycott

and rammed through this sham vote anyway.
<_<

Sad, but who didn't see this coming.  By Tuesday, Barrett will be sworn in and a justice on the Supreme  Court.