Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top Ten Gregory Peck Films


Recommended Posts

Here are mine in chronological order:

1. Keys Of The Kingdom-he was great as the priest working as a missionary in China. It goes through several decades.

2. The Yearling-excellent as the father with a sensitive son ,a cold wife and a baby deer.

3. The Gunfighter-he was tough and sympathetic as the weary former fast gun forced into action by young punks.

4. Roman Holiday-shows a flair for comedy and great chemistry with Audrey Hepburn ,my favorite scene is at the Mouth Of Truth.

5. The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit-WWII veteran is now a successful businessman, he seemed the perfect incarnation of the 50s husband and father.

6. Cape Fear-he was a great hero opposite psycho Robert Mitchum.

7. To Kill A Mockingbird-the one he will be most remembered as the dignified lawyer, he brings quiet strength to this.

8. Mirage-a striking suspense film with Peck as amnesiac involved in twisty plot.

9. Arabesque-a comic spy thriller with a loose as a goose performance from Peck, really a kick to see it.

10. The Omen-the only Peck film I saw first run in a theater, he was completely convincing in a movie about the Anti Christ.

What are yours?
 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

1. The Big Country

2.  Yellow Sky

3. Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N.

4. The Man In the Gray Flannel Suit

5. Duel in the  Sun

6.  David and Bathsheba

8. The Stalking Moon

9.  I Walk the Line

10. The Bravados

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Can't believe Twelve O'Clock High isn't on either of your lists up there, guys.

It must be over 30 years since I have seen it, can't recall anything about it. I only saw it because I was looking to see a lot of Oscar winning performances, since Dean Jagger won supporting actor that year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) tops my list.

to-kill-a-mockingbird-1-700x400.png

After that, chronologically:

The Yearling (1946)

the-yearling-gregory-peck-claude-jarman-

Duel in the Sun (1946)

jennifer-jones-and-gregory-peck_600.jpg

The Macomber Affair (1947)

macomberaffair1947_1024x767_072320131138

The Gunfighter (1950)

the_gunfighter-1950.jpg

Roman Holiday (1953)

2-audrey-hepburn-and-gregory-peck-in-rom

Moby Dick (1956)

3cc3b39cbc4cd2a97f015c49349c730c.jpg

The Big Country (1958)

image-w1280.jpg

On the Beach (1959)

tumblr_n993rdHbHw1s5pb2ao1_640.jpg

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

MV5BYTUxOTcyYWQtMTNjYi00MjcxLTk4OTctYWRj

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

It must be over 30 years since I have seen it, can't recall anything about it. I only saw it because I was looking to see a lot of Oscar winning performances, since Dean Jagger won supporting actor that year. 

It's always been one of my favorite WWII themed films, and especially one centering on the aerial combat aspect during this conflict, and along with the Clark Gable starring movie Command Decision.

Peck is very good as a by-the-book commander of an American bomber group based in England who ultimately crumbles under the stress of command.

(...the scene where he just can no longer bring himself to climb into his B-17 for a mission is particularly memorable)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, To Kill a Mockingbird has always seemed like his career-defining role. The subtlety of his humor and the quiet fierceness of his determination makes his performance one for the ages. I don't think we should go too far along in this process without mentioning John Huston's Moby Dick. In some ways it was kind of a thankless role because most people probably have some kind of preconceived notion of the character, but he seemed to be right out of the Old Testament in both look and deed. I think I would have replaced one or the other of Mirage or Arabesque with Designing Woman, where he fully inhabited the kind of role William Holden had become the standard bearer for. He and Lauren Bacall were a dream team, who apparently remained  life-long friends. His short tribute to her which airs occasionally is really heartfelt and touching.

P.S. I see TomJH has mentioned Moby Dick in the time it took me to post. Totally agree about To Kill a Mockingbird. (#1) Peck said it was his personal favorite.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate these ridiculous "top 10" lists of movies threads that ask for the reader to pick  10 movies out of the many that an actor or actress they like that are equally liked.

I tried it, but my THUMB kept getting blisters on it from flipping coins all the time!  :angry:  I can't think off hand of any Gregory Peck movies I didn't like as much as most of the others.  I'll admit I somehow never saw ALL of them, but out of those I did, I liked ALL of them from DAYS OF GLORY to OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

And I'm kinda shocked that NONE of you picked GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT.  :blink:

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I hate these ridiculous "top 10" lists of movies threads that ask for the reader to pick  10 movies out of the many that an actor or actress they like that are equally liked.

I tried it, but my THUMB kept getting blisters on it from flipping coins all the time!  :angry:  I can't think off hand of any Gregory Peck movies I didn't like as much as most of the others.  I'll admit I somehow never saw ALL of them, but out of those I did, I liked ALL of them from DAYS OF GLORY to OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

And I'm kinda shocked that NONE of you picked GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT.  :blink:

Sepiatone

I'm not much of a fan of lists either, when they're simply lists, but the OP has justified his choices and opened the subject up to discussion. I usually wait until the discussion has started to respond, if at all, but in this case it's one of my favorite actors so it was pretty automatic that I jump in.  I haven't seen all of them either. I went to Wikipedia afterward to refresh my memory and there are at least a couple I hadn't heard of, particularly The Hundred Pound Note (1954), a comic English period piece which sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'm with you: I can't think of a Gregory Peck movie I've seen which I didn't like in some way, if only for the fact of his presence. Even The Paradine Case, which he apparently said he's burn if he had to choose one film to obliterate. Your "unlisty" response has shown what a fan you are too. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I hate these ridiculous "top 10" lists of movies threads that ask for the reader to pick  10 movies out of the many that an actor or actress they like that are equally liked.

I tried it, but my THUMB kept getting blisters on it from flipping coins all the time!  :angry:  I can't think off hand of any Gregory Peck movies I didn't like as much as most of the others.  I'll admit I somehow never saw ALL of them, but out of those I did, I liked ALL of them from DAYS OF GLORY to OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

And I'm kinda shocked that NONE of you picked GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT.  :blink:

Sepiatone

I like to give a little explanation on why I liked each one, rather than just list them. Sometimes I just do 5, but no more than 10 since I am too lazy to type that much.

One Peck film I did not like was The Boys From Brazil, he was badly miscast as Nazi doctor Josef Mengele, and this film has some of the most laughably bad dialogue I have ever heard in a major film. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Top 10 Lists so much, I usually expand it to a Top Baker's Dozen List.  Since Gregory Peck is one of my favorites from the Golden Age, here is mine (in order of release):

1.  The Keys of the Kingdom (1944)

2.   Spellbound (1945)

3.   The Yearling (1946)

4.   Gentleman's Agreement (1947)

5.  Twelve O'Clock High (1949)

6.  The Gunfighter (1950)

7.  Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951)

8.  The Snows of Kilimanjaro (1952)

9.  Roman Holiday (1953)

10. The Big Country (1958)

11. On the Beach (1959)

12. The Guns of Navarone (1961)

13. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5956c-screen2bshot2b2016-11-042bat2b11-58-462bam.png?w=660

the gunfighter

the million pound note

moby dick

designing woman

yellow sky

cape fear

the macomber affair

the chairman

the blue and the gray

the purple plain

547ea-screen2bshot2b2016-11-252bat2b2-18-032bpm.png?w=300

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EricJ said:

Thank you, Tom, I was waiting for someone to mention Moby Dick (1956):

 

You picked a great scene. I read somewhere that Peck had been sensitive to criticism that he hadn't played Ahab with enough rage and outright lunacy and wondered himself whether he'd erred on the side of favoring the poetry of Melville's language. Personally, I think he was able to do both. A mesmerizing performance. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always admired MOBY DICK and that includes Gregory Peck's obsessed Captain Ahab.

But the scenes that stay with me the most are those involving the whale. With '50s special effects that, for the most part, hold up surprisingly well, this is a GREAT scene! And when all is done all we are left with are the sounds of the birds . . .

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually didn't think THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL was all that bad.  But too, not all that great either.  I suppose I was more intrigued at the premise.  

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I've always admired MOBY DICK and that includes Gregory Peck's obsessed Captain Ahab.

But the scenes that stay with me the most are those involving the whale. With '50s special effects that, for the most part, hold up surprisingly well, this is a GREAT scene! And when all is done all we are left with are the sounds of the birds . . .

 

 

...and the coffin bobbing to the surface, which saves the only person left to tell the tale. And an exquisitely told tale it is. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DougieB said:

...and the coffin bobbing to the surface, which saves the only person left to tell the tale. And an exquisitely told tale it is. 

Reading the book about John Huston,   Peck was treated as poorly as Bogie was when filming The African Queen.    

The rubber whale faired better than Peck! 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"the drummers dirge is done. all are departed away.

the great shroud of the sea now rolls over the peoquad, her crew...and moby dick.

I alone am left...to tell thee!"

Moby Dick (1956) - Coins in Movies

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this thread because it makes clear what a strong filmography Gregory Peck had. From the mid-forties to the mid-sixties he was a major star, and he at least kept working after the end of the studio era. My list is divided between films where Peck plays the central role (To Kill a Mockingbird, Mirage) and films where he's the tentpole character in an ensemble (Guns of Navarone).

To Kill a Mockingbird

Twelve O'Clock High

Guns of Navarone

Mirage

The Big Country

Roman Holiday

The Yearling

Cape Fear

Gentlemen's Agreement

Duel in the Sun--where he gets to be evil and sexy

The Macomber Affair--Peck is overshadowed by Joan Bennett and Robert Preston, but an outstanding film)

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 9:51 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Here are mine in chronological order:

1. Keys Of The Kingdom-he was great as the priest working as a missionary in China. It goes through several decades.

2. The Yearling-excellent as the father with a sensitive son ,a cold wife and a baby deer.

3. The Gunfighter-he was tough and sympathetic as the weary former fast gun forced into action by young punks.

4. Roman Holiday-shows a flair for comedy and great chemistry with Audrey Hepburn ,my favorite scene is at the Mouth Of Truth.

5. The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit-WWII veteran is now a successful businessman, he seemed the perfect incarnation of the 50s husband and father.

6. Cape Fear-he was a great hero opposite psycho Robert Mitchum.

7. To Kill A Mockingbird-the one he will be most remembered as the dignified lawyer, he brings quiet strength to this.

...

What are yours?
 

Those 7 of your list were the films that came to mind... and BOYS FROM BRAZIL... but that's violent trash, so I kind of love it! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...