Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with Romance tearjerker!!

I saw this movie about a year ago on TCM.  I’m thinking that the era it was filmed was 1930s or 40s. Black and white. TCM was doing a full day of the lead actress’s  movies.  
It’s about a woman who follows her lover around for the rest of her life after she missed the boat/ferry he was supposed to leave on when he leaves town. He asked her to marry him and she refused, and then she changed her mind and she ran up to the boat while the boat is leaving port and she missed him. Years later, they meet again and she explains what happens but it’s too late and he is already married. I think he gets her an apartment or some thing and he visits her periodically. Over the years, she follows him everywhere as his mistress and he becomes very rich and successful politically. In the closing scene, his now adult son suspects her and confronts her aboard a cruise liner that she followed the family on. The son is really upset and she basically tells the son not to judge her and that she has been The father’s first true love even if she is his kept mistress. I think the father dies or something like that. The last scene is a flashback scene to the 1910’s where the lead Protagonist is fantasizing about what life would be like if she didn’t miss that boat. 
The actor playing the husband has an accent, I think he might be French or Italian. 

16 hours ago, Bcurl said:

You guys found it!!! Thank you! It was the one with Boyer in the lead. (1941)

Deleted most of my comments because I was confused.

The film is   Back Street but the 1941 version and not the 1932 one.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

In Back Street the husband is played by John Boles (who is an American actor).    The film is a pre-code which is the reason it can feature a mistress and a cheating husband in a positive light.    The parts you mention about a son etc... is the plot of Back Street.

Neither of the versions is as grim as the book. In the original story she spent some extremely lean time after he died, barely supporting herself through gambling, and finally died alone and near starvation just as belated relief was coming in the form of a check from the son in the mail slipped under her door. It's almost as if the book did the work of the Code-to-come and punished her.

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Back Street (1932) doesn't feature Boyer and the plot  you mention appears to be mixing up two different Dunne films: Back Street and Love Affair.   

In Back Street the husband is played by John Boles (who is an American actor).    The film is a pre-code which is the reason it can feature a mistress and a cheating husband in a positive light.    The parts you mention about a son etc... is the plot of Back Street.

Love Affair (1941) does feature Charles Boyer in the lead but the storyline is much different than the one in Back Street.   E.g. there is no husband and Dunne isn't a keep mistress.    But there are scenes on an ocean liner  where they first meet

There is no son in Love Affair (since there isn't a marriage).    But there is the wonderful Maria Ouspenskaya as Boyer's grandma.    

But the Back Street from 1941 also has Charles Boyer but opposite Sullavan instead of Dunne. 

52 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

But the Back Street from 1941 also has Charles Boyer but opposite Sullavan instead of Dunne. 

Thanks for that info.     I was too focused on Dunne.    I did see your other post where you said "I think there are versions of this,,".

I didn't know what you meant by "this" so I didn't do the correct research.

BUT what we do have here is another example of what some call a "remake" (I call them new adaptations).

I haven't seen the one 1941 version so I can't say which I enjoy more.     (but my confusion did make me think about how a Dunne \ Boyer adaptation of Back Street would have been!).