Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

a weird VINTAGE AUTO QUESTION, really need help

I am writing something set in 1961.

A plot point in it is that a 1950-something PICKUP TRUCK (I'm open to CHEVY, DODGE, did AMC make a pick-up?) will not start. It is discovered the reason for this is that someone has hidden a wad of cash totaling $20,000.00 in a black box under the hood. (the owner of the truck was found shot dead in a lumber yard) and the box came loose when the truck was towed and fell behind....

The alternator? the starter? I dunno, HERE IS WHERE I NEED THE HELP.

Where would a small box land underneath the hood of a 1950something, beat-up pick-up (again, FORD, CHEVY, whatever) that would interfere with the truck starting?

I'm am not a MECHANICS SAVVY PERSON, so if you got answers, please DUMB THEM DOWN FOR ME.

aND if this scenario does not pass with any of you, i am willing to just have someone find the black box because they are under the hood fixing it because it won't start for an unrelated reason.

BUT THAT DOESN'T SEEM AS "FUN"...

It is possible that jamming a box under the hood could disable the truck. For example, if it is put on top of the wire that goes to the center of the distributor cap, the wire might get pulled out of its connector when the hood is slammed. If that happened the engine would crank away but not start. If the box was bare metal, it is also possible that it touched an electrical contact, such as at the coil, and the engine block, shorting out the ignition. Once the box fell away, the truck could have been started in this case, but as it was already being towed, nobody would have noticed. Therefore, I conclude that the scenario that you described is plausible.

Be seeing you,

EW

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ewmovies said:

It is possible that jamming a box under the hood could disable the truck. For example, if it is put on top of the wire that goes to the center of the distributor cap, the wire might get pulled out of its connector when the hood is slammed. If that happened the engine would crank away but not start. If the box was bare metal, it is also possible that it touched an electrical contact, such as at the coil, and the engine block, shorting out the ignition. Once the box fell away, the truck could have been started in this case, but as it was already being towed, nobody would have noticed. Therefore, I conclude that the scenario that you described is plausible.

Be seeing you,

EW

THANK YOU!!!!!!

On 10/23/2020 at 10:02 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am writing something set in 1961.

A plot point in it is that a 1950-something PICKUP TRUCK (I'm open to CHEVY, DODGE, did AMC make a pick-up?) will not start. It is discovered the reason for this is that someone has hidden a wad of cash totaling $20,000.00 in a black box under the hood. (the owner of the truck was found shot dead in a lumber yard) and the box came loose when the truck was towed and fell behind....

The alternator? the starter? I dunno, HERE IS WHERE I NEED THE HELP.

Where would a small box land underneath the hood of a 1950something, beat-up pick-up (again, FORD, CHEVY, whatever) that would interfere with the truck starting?

I'm am not a MECHANICS SAVVY PERSON, so if you got answers, please DUMB THEM DOWN FOR ME.

aND if this scenario does not pass with any of you, i am willing to just have someone find the black box because they are under the hood fixing it because it won't start for an unrelated reason.

BUT THAT DOESN'T SEEM AS "FUN"...

ew's answer works for me, but I have very little knowledge of how to disable a car.  Had hard enough time just doing the things to keep them running.

Incidentally, not sure AMC (other than Jeep eventually) ever made a truck, although Hudson and Nash(?) did as I recall, but not too many.  AMC was created in 1954 with the merger of Nash (Rambler) and Hudson.

Good luck on the book.

• Like 1