Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, and I want to thank the administrators for allowing me to join the TCM message boardūüėÄ.¬† My interest in classic movies has been a part of me for many years. When I was a child, mom used to tell me stories about stars of the 30s, 40s, and 50s, and when I grew older, I would go to the library and bring home stacks of books on stars--Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Lana Turner, etc.¬† Being invited to this message board would give me a chance to learn from those of you are experienced and to share my knowledge of a class of people who kept us viewers entertained for so many years.¬†

Once again, thank you for inviting me to the TCM message board. I truly appreciate it.

P.S: Since his passing on July 25, 2020, I developed an interest in actor John Saxon. I remember seeing him in the medical drama, "The Bold Ones: The New Doctors" when I was 9,  I hope there is a topic about him on the message board because I would like to learn more about him.

• Like 8

Welcome to the board.  I'm a newbie here also.  Been a fan of classic movies (as well as classic TV shows & oldies music) since forever.  I grew up with the movies & TV shows my parents watched.  To be honest, I never knew back then I was watching "old movies".  Eventually it dawned on me the reality of the truth when I started to realize my friends didn't like the same actors as me.  Or the same movies.  Or the same TV shows.  Or the same music.  In the 90s my friends were fans of the current pop boy bands.  Whenever I was asked about my favorite bands, that would be Elvis, the Monkees, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones.  Those were my tops back then & still are now.  I think it was some time last year, listening to the radio, the DJ said something about an upcoming award show....and then said "I don't know why I watch award shows anymore; everyone I know is in the memoriam".  I feel the exact same way!  I like some current actors, like Tom Hanks & John Travolta.  But I'd prefer to watch James Stewart, Errol Flynn, Doris Day, Shirley Temple, Steve McQueen, James Cagney, Glenn Ford, Fred/Ginger, Gene Kelly, James Garner.  From award shows, I know some current names to answer questions in a crossword puzzle, but I have no idea about their movies.  One thing I love about old movies & old TV shows is the lack of modern technology.  People sitting around a table talking, instead of glued to their phones.  TV shows portraying actors that look like a real family - Bonanza, Happy Days, Leave It To Beaver.

Lori

• Like 3

:D  :blink:

Well, for some of us, what some see here as "classic" movies were(when we were kids) not really all that "classic".  ;)  I started watching "old" Johnny Weissmuller  TARZAN movies on TV when they were just a mere 22-23 years old.  :wacko:

But welcome to the boards.  The more, the merrier is how I see it!  ;)  :) 

Sepiatone

39 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  :blink:

Well, for some of us, what some see here as "classic" movies were(when we were kids) not really all that "classic".  ;)  I started watching "old" Johnny Weissmuller  TARZAN movies on TV when they were just a mere 22-23 years old.  :wacko:

But welcome to the boards.  The more, the merrier is how I see it!  ;)  :) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Welcome to the board, Emily and all the other new members who have introduced themselves here.  

I did not grow up watching these old films on TV, except for a handful here and there on AMC (when it showed classic films) and during the first couple years of TCM. I would also see the annual viewing of The Wizard of Oz.  I don't have nostalgia for the families depicted in shows like Leave it to Beaver or Happy Days or anything like that--nobody's families were like that during my formative years in the 90s. (This is also coming from someone who routinely watched FOX's nighttime soaps, even in elementary school)  I mostly developed my love of classic film (and television) through my discovery of I Love Lucy and Lucille Ball on Nick at Nite.  I checked out books about Lucille Ball from the library.  When I learned that she'd had a film career prior to I Love Lucy, I discovered that my library had many of her movies available, on VHS.  I checked out every single one of Lucille Ball's films from the library, and from there I learned about other stars.  Also from I Love Lucy, I learned about stars like William Holden and Charles Boyer.  I would also rent classic movies here and there from video rental places.  My family used to get Take N' Bake pizza and rent movies every Friday night growing up, so I would sometimes slip classic movies in.  I used to watch Laurel & Hardy Saturday mornings with my dad when the shorts aired on AMC. 

It was really only in the last 15 years or so when I had my own place, my own cable/satellite plan that carried TCM, and an income to purchase movies that I've really been able to expand my exposure and knowledge to classic film.  Every day I'm discovering new people and new films. 

If you want to discuss a particular topic, e.g. John Saxon, don't be afraid to start your own thread! 

• Like 1

I was born in 1984.  So all the classic TV shows I grew up watching from parents were seen as reruns.  In the family room, the TV and computer table are next to each other.  My dad always watches TCM.  So while I'd be at the computer, I'd have a wandering eye on the TV.  I got introduced to Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Curtiz, James Stewart, Fred/Ginger, Paul Newman, the 3 Stooges, Bowery Boys, Bette Davis, etc.  Also, thanks to Dad, I know every James Bond movie.  But my mom introduced me to Doris Day & Shirley Temple.  Those were always my favorite actresses when I was little.  And they're still my favorite actresses at 36.

Lori

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lori Ann said:

I was born in 1984.  So all the classic TV shows I grew up watching from parents were seen as reruns.  In the family room, the TV and computer table are next to each other.  My dad always watches TCM.  So while I'd be at the computer, I'd have a wandering eye on the TV.  I got introduced to Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Curtiz, James Stewart, Fred/Ginger, Paul Newman, the 3 Stooges, Bowery Boys, Bette Davis, etc.  Also, thanks to Dad, I know every James Bond movie.  But my mom introduced me to Doris Day & Shirley Temple.  Those were always my favorite actresses when I was little.  And they're still my favorite actresses at 36.

Lori

I was also born in 1984.  We had a TV in the living room and then my sister and I had another TV that our SNES lived on; then we had a b&w TV in the back of the house--which is where I usually watched Nick-at-Nite prior to my sister and I getting our TV.  Even after the TV, if my sister was invested in a video game, I watched Nick at Nite on the b&w TV.  The shows I watched, with the exception of Mary Tyler Moore which was new for my parents when they were young (late elementary school through early high school), were all re-runs for my parents too. My dad tended to say he was "tired of [show title] because it was shown so much in re-runs."  But I did see a lot of The Andy Griffith Show and my mom liked Little House on the Prairie.   While my parents enjoy old movies, they didn't tend to have the TV on AMC or TCM 24/7. They had a lot of new shows that they followed and watched in the evenings.  I did catch Laurel & Hardy and the Marx Brothers and things like that.  And occasionally, my dad would rent a movie at the video store that he thought we'd enjoy, which is how I saw Psycho and The Birds in elementary/middle school.  We went to the library for the afternoon about every 3 weeks (length of borrowing term), so I was able to borrow a lot of movies and books related to classic film. But I was almost religious about Nick-at-Nite, except for when my nighttime soaps (90210 and Melrose Place) were on, which I watched with my parents.

Other than that, my knowledge and experience of classic film is entirely self-driven. 

13 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Glad you are here and remember Emily41162...

the greatest american movie star of all times is JOHN WAYNE.

Classic John Wayne Western 'True Grit' Rides Back Into Movie Theaters For  It's 50th Anniversary - Icon Vs. Icon

There's no question that John Wayne is an icon. However, with all due respect  I prefer Bogart. 

Welcome Emily 41162. casablancabogartcigmm.thumb.gif.fc7886945f13b053dfde392ac16b7976.gif

• Like 3
5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I was also born in 1984.  We had a TV in the living room and then my sister and I had another TV that our SNES lived on; then we had a b&w TV in the back of the house--which is where I usually watched Nick-at-Nite prior to my sister and I getting our TV.  Even after the TV, if my sister was invested in a video game, I watched Nick at Nite on the b&w TV.  The shows I watched, with the exception of Mary Tyler Moore which was new for my parents when they were young (late elementary school through early high school), were all re-runs for my parents too. My dad tended to say he was "tired of [show title] because it was shown so much in re-runs."  But I did see a lot of The Andy Griffith Show and my mom liked Little House on the Prairie.   While my parents enjoy old movies, they didn't tend to have the TV on AMC or TCM 24/7. They had a lot of new shows that they followed and watched in the evenings.  I did catch Laurel & Hardy and the Marx Brothers and things like that.  And occasionally, my dad would rent a movie at the video store that he thought we'd enjoy, which is how I saw Psycho and The Birds in elementary/middle school.  We went to the library for the afternoon about every 3 weeks (length of borrowing term), so I was able to borrow a lot of movies and books related to classic film. But I was almost religious about Nick-at-Nite, except for when my nighttime soaps (90210 and Melrose Place) were on, which I watched with my parents.

Other than that, my knowledge and experience of classic film is entirely self-driven. 

Always great to meet another "classic fan" at a young age.  My parents got me started on classic movies without trying.  It was like "this is a great movie, hey come watch it".  I did get into some current TV shows as I was growing up, but loved the reruns also.  My parents introduced me to Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Big Valley, Wild Wild West, Happy Days, Starsky & Hutch, Taxi, Love Boat, Columbo, Laverne & Shirley, Flipper, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Mork & Mindy, Welcome Back Kotter, Leave It To Beaver, etc.  But I also watched Sabrina, Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, Early Edition, Doc, Reba, etc.  On June 1, MeTV started airing "Happy Days" and I'm having a blast.  I remember so many episodes!  Almost done with season 8.  The only soap opera I watched was "As the World Turns".  And I started on that when Peter Noone made a guest appearance as Paddington.  My mom introduced me to "Land of the Giants" but my dad introduced me to the other Irwin Allen TV shows.  "Voyage" is great!

21 minutes ago, Lori Ann said:

Always great to meet another "classic fan" at a young age.  My parents got me started on classic movies without trying.  It was like "this is a great movie, hey come watch it".  I did get into some current TV shows as I was growing up, but loved the reruns also.  My parents introduced me to Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Big Valley, Wild Wild West, Happy Days, Starsky & Hutch, Taxi, Love Boat, Columbo, Laverne & Shirley, Flipper, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Mork & Mindy, Welcome Back Kotter, Leave It To Beaver, etc.  But I also watched Sabrina, Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, Early Edition, Doc, Reba, etc.  On June 1, MeTV started airing "Happy Days" and I'm having a blast.  I remember so many episodes!  Almost done with season 8.  The only soap opera I watched was "As the World Turns".  And I started on that when Peter Noone made a guest appearance as Paddington.  My mom introduced me to "Land of the Giants" but my dad introduced me to the other Irwin Allen TV shows.  "Voyage" is great!

I always hated the Western shows.  They all seemed the same to me! Though I would consider maybe Big Valley, because it has Barbara Stanwyck. I used to watch Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, I Dream of Jeannie, and Bewitched on Nick at Nite.  I hated Welcome Back Kotter.  Growing up, I never watched things suited to my demographic.  While I've seen Full House, Sabrina, Family Matters, and Step by Step, I never watched TGIF.  I like MeTV, but I find the commercials incredibly monotonous.  I was watching The Time Tunnel on there, which I enjoy; but I have since purchased the series on Amazon Prime just so I wouldn't have to watch the commercials.  I'm more of the mindset to collect the shows I love on DVD/Blu Ray, so I can watch them whenever I want to, un-cut, and without commercials.  The first time I watched my DVDs of I Love Lucy after years of seeing them in syndication was mind blowing--so many "new" scenes and jokes! I find that Hulu makes a decent replacement for my nostalgia for 90s Nick at Nite.

I didn't watch any of the day time soaps--only the FOX ones like Beverly Hills, 90210, Melrose Place, Party of Five, and The OC. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I always hated the Western shows.  They all seemed the same to me! Though I would consider maybe Big Valley, because it has Barbara Stanwyck. I used to watch Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, I Dream of Jeannie, and Bewitched on Nick at Nite.  I hated Welcome Back Kotter.  Growing up, I never watched things suited to my demographic.  While I've seen Full House, Sabrina, Family Matters, and Step by Step, I never watched TGIF.  I like MeTV, but I find the commercials incredibly monotonous.  I was watching The Time Tunnel on there, which I enjoy; but I have since purchased the series on Amazon Prime just so I wouldn't have to watch the commercials.  I'm more of the mindset to collect the shows I love on DVD/Blu Ray, so I can watch them whenever I want to, un-cut, and without commercials.  The first time I watched my DVDs of I Love Lucy after years of seeing them in syndication was mind blowing--so many "new" scenes and jokes! I find that Hulu makes a decent replacement for my nostalgia for 90s Nick at Nite.

I didn't watch any of the day time soaps--only the FOX ones like Beverly Hills, 90210, Melrose Place, Party of Five, and The OC. 

Forgot to mention having watched "Boy Meets World" which was great.  I did watch "Girl Meets World" out of respect for BMW, but I wasn't interested in the drama of the kids lives.  I'd have preferred the "Cory & Topanga Show".  I watched the 1989 MMC also, which had a 30th anniversary reunion last year in Orlando.  That was too much fun!

Just now, Lori Ann said:

Forgot to mention having watched "Boy Meets World" which was great.  I did watch "Girl Meets World" out of respect for BMW, but I wasn't interested in the drama of the kids lives.  I'd have preferred the "Cory & Topanga Show".  I watched the 1989 MMC also, which had a 30th anniversary reunion last year in Orlando.  That was too much fun!

Ah.  I also saw some Boy Meets World as well, but I hated how they made Eric such an idiot--he was so irritating in that show. I can't stand characters that are just dumb all the time and never get smarter or even do anything remotely redeeming or funny.  I also didn't like Cory and Topanga getting engaged and married between high school and college.  That was absurd to me.  I never watched the sequel.  I don't care about their children's drama either.  

I never watched Mickey Mouse Club (I rarely watched the Disney Channel) but I know about the famous mouseketeers.  The only Disney Channel thing I have even watched in the last 20-something years is the remake of Duck Tales which is actually pretty good, despite the bad remake of the theme song. 

• Like 1

SPEED( you whippersnapper you  ;) ) ,  I used to LIVE for THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB and can still remember Annette Funicello  when she was still a bit(mind you  :D )  flat chested.  ;)   Of course, that was WAY before there was such a thing as cable and The Disney Channel,  and Mickey Mouse cartoons had to wait until Sunday night when ABC broadcasted THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY television program.  I remember the show's host JIMMIE, who seemed a bit old to be hangin' around all those kids,  But my memory only recalls ANNETTE and JOHNNY CRAWFORD achieving any wide fame beyond the club.  To refresh my memory and give y'all a hint....

Sepiatone

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

There's no question that John Wayne is an icon. However, with all due respect  I prefer Bogart. 

Welcome Emily 41162. casablancabogartcigmm.thumb.gif.fc7886945f13b053dfde392ac16b7976.gif

Welcome Emily and others and there is no 

21 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Glad you are here and remember Emily41162...

the greatest american movie star of all times is JOHN WAYNE.

Welcome Emily and others and remember, there is no "greatest American movie star."  You choose your own greatest, if you can.  I would have difficulty even trying, though I do have some favorites.

I grew up in 50's and 60's and trust me, nobody I knew had a home like the TV shows depicted in the 50's and 60's or even on Happy Days and so forth.  Good entertainment though and I still enjoy them.

28 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

SPEED( you whippersnapper you  ;) ) ,  I used to LIVE for THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB and can still remember Annette Funicello  when she was still a bit(mind you  :D )  flat chested.  ;)   Of course, that was WAY before there was such a thing as cable and The Disney Channel,  and Mickey Mouse cartoons had to wait until Sunday night when ABC broadcasted THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY television program.  I remember the show's host JIMMIE, who seemed a bit old to be hangin' around all those kids,  But my memory only recalls ANNETTE and JOHNNY CRAWFORD achieving any wide fame beyond the club.  To refresh my memory and give y'all a hint....

Sepiatone

That's the MMC of the 50s my parents grew up watching.  My brother & I (born in the 80s) are familiar with some of the 50s MMC.  We know some of the original Mouseketeers, things we've seen on reruns or anniversary specials, a little of Spin & Marty.  We grew up with the 1989 version & got to meet about 30 of those Mouseketeers last year at their 30th anniversary reunion.

Lori

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Lori Ann said:

That's the MMC of the 50s my parents grew up watching.  My brother & I (born in the 80s) are familiar with some of the 50s MMC.  We know some of the original Mouseketeers, things we've seen on reruns or anniversary specials, a little of Spin & Marty.  We grew up with the 1989 version & got to meet about 30 of those Mouseketeers last year at their 30th anniversary reunion.

Lori

There was also an iteration in the mid 70s.  Lisa Welchel (The Facts of Life) was a member of that group.

Just now, txfilmfan said:

There was also an iteration in the mid 70s.  Lisa Welchel (The Facts of Life) was a member of that group.

Yeah, I remember once learning of the 70s version.  I never saw any of it.  I didn't know Lisa was on that.  My mom likes "Facts of Life".

Lori

41 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

My grandmother was a big Lawrence Welk fan and had a thing for Bobby Burgess.

• Haha 1

So, I'm guessing the only BILL COSBY show you know of was the one about the Huxtables. and not this one, which ran from '69 to '71 after he did his stint on I SPY with ROBERT CULP in the '60's...  ;) 

I thought it better and funnier than his show in the '80's.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I never watched The Cosby Show, though I've seen it before.  With Cosby convicted and currently sitting behind bars for sexual assault of women, I most definitely cannot take him seriously now as a "family man." 

The Mickey Mouse Club in any iteration is just not  my type of entertainment.  My experience with Annette Funicello is with her Beach Party films, which I love even though they're so dumb and ridiculous. 

I used to watch The Facts of Life on Nick at Nite.  It definitely lost some of its luster when the girls were well beyond high school and sporting bad 80s mullets and shoulder pads, but still living in the boarding house... I liked it even less when Charlotte Rae left the show and was replaced by Cloris Leachman and instead of Edna's Edibles, they ran the "Over Our Heads" (or whatever it was called) novelty gift shop.

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

my soap period began with Dark Shadows in the afternoon later on I got hooked on All My Children when Richard Hatch was Philip Brent and Tara was played by Karen Lynn Gorney.

susan lucci as Erica Kane was always a horrible monster having a secret abortion while married to poor Jeff Martin.

Hello and welcome.

The first film I specifically remembering seeing on TCM - with Robert O. intro - was an old favorite,  The Wizard of Oz. It was the night they aired Dark Side of the Moon on the secondary audio channel.