Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone remember the late John Saxon, best known as Roper in the 1973 movie, Enter The Dragon, and also known as Lt Donaldson in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies? Throughout the 70s and 80s, he made numerous guest appearance on popular TV shows such as Falcon Crest, Fantasy Island, Dynasty, and The Rockford Files, just to name a few.  What I admire about the late actor is his commanding, strong onscreen presence, as well as his ability to play any role with skill and confidence,

Saxon was very versatile.        He started out as a teen idol in early Rock and Roll films.    He had good comic timing but could  also play serious roles in westerns and other genres.

He also did some Italian films,  some of which are worth checking out:

Agostino (film).jpg

I like John Saxon.  I was first introduced to him via Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation where he plays a son-in-law of James Stewart and Maureen O'Hara. I've also seen him in The Reluctant Debutante with Sandra Dee.  He's also in an episode of Mary Tyler Moore where he dates Phyllis platonically, but begins to be interested in Mary instead. 

• Like 1

I remember him from a couple episodes of "Burke's Law".  He also did a few episodes of "Bonanza".  The episode "Black Friday" was one of his best.  He did some episodes of "Gunsmoke" but none I ever saw.  I stopped watching when Dennis Weaver left.

Lori

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Lori Ann said:

I remember him from a couple episodes of "Burke's Law".  He also did a few episodes of "Bonanza".  The episode "Black Friday" was one of his best.  He did some episodes of "Gunsmoke" but none I ever saw.  I stopped watching when Dennis Weaver left.

Lori

How about Gunsmoke with Burt Reynolds as Matt side-kick,  Clint?       There was a cross over period where both Weaver and Reynolds  were in some episodes.

Anyhow,   I found Reynolds a very compelling character as a "half-breed".      I liked Weaver also.     I stopped watching when Festus joined the program (one of the most allowing and unwatchable T.V. characters of all time IMO).

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

How about Gunsmoke with Burt Reynolds as Matt side-kick,  Clint?       There was a cross over period where both Weaver and Reynolds  were in some episodes.

Anyhow,   I found Reynolds a very compelling character as a "half-breed".      I liked Weaver also.     I stopped watching when Festus joined the program (one of the most allowing and unwatchable T.V. characters of all time IMO).

Yeah, I saw the episodes with both Quint & Chester.  Burt Reynolds started in season 8, and Dennis Weaver left the show near the end of season 9.  My favorite with Burt is "Quint's Trail".  Oye, Festus!  I'll end that sentence there!

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I first noticed John Saxon in "Unguarded Moment".   He plays a disturbed teenager and was quite effective.

Was that with Esther Williams?

• Like 1

Last week, I watched a 1966 movie titled, "The Doomsday Flight" with John Saxon in it. He portrayed George Ducette, a handsome, arrogant movie star. Created by the late Rod Seeking, the movie was about a bomb planted on a plane by deranged engineer, causing fear in passengers and flight staff.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:37 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Heh.....  I remember when Reynolds first joined the show my Mom usually referred to him as "Squint".  Because he did always look like he was squinting a lot.  ;) 

And sure, I remember JOHN SAXON.  Did always like him, and it seemed often when I'd get to wondering, "Whatever became of Jon Saxon?" he'd pop up somewhere in a small role in some  insignificant movie.  Was glad to see him still working.  And I do recall a buddy's older sister having a major crush on him in the '60's.  

Sepiatone