Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who "intrigues" you?

rayallen

Most of us have our favorites. Actors, actresses, films. We even have those we find beautiful or handsome. (For example, Grace Kelly, Hedy Lamarr and Cary Grant.) I'm wondering, though, what actors or actresses you find to be intriguing. Not necessarily a favorite, but someone who, for one reason or another, interests you.

I happen to be quite intrigued by Norma Shearer and Joseph Cotten.

I usually find myself almost, well not hypnotized, but something about seeing Norma Shearer doesn't allow me to look away. I don't even know if I'm attracted to her, it's just something in seeing her on the screen that I cannot explain.

I?m fascinated by Lillian Gish in her old silent films.

I finally got to see her in ?The White Sister? (1923) on TCM a few months ago. She was outstanding. This is the best version of this story I?ve ever seen. She didn?t need dialogue. I could tell what she was thinking by her mannerisms, facial expressions, and hand motions.

Here she is in ?The Wind?.

http://nighthawknews.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/gish-main-4.jpg

Hey, Ray.

Thelma Ritter is an actress who really intrigues me. Just the sight of her makes me

feel good.

Boris Karloff is an actor who always captivates me.

Actresses I'm wanting to see more of are Gail Russell, Veronica Lake, and Ida Lupino.

Actors that I'm looking to see more of are Robert Montgomery, Alan Ladd, and Van Heflin.

William S. Hart and early silent westerns. This is probably the area of film I'm

most intrigued by and know little of.

Also:

Royal Dano, Cyril Cusack, Ann Todd, Jennifer Jones, Delmer Daves, Henry

Hathaway, Orson Welles, Samuels Fuller and Peckinpah, Julie Christie,

Whit Stillman.

Helena Carter. She made several films in the late 1940s and early 50s, and that was it. She had a lovely face and voice, and appeared in Life magazine. Sci-fi fans might remember her as playing the Doctor in the original Invaders From Mars, which was her last film.

Gene Tierney is like that for me.

I don't remember how old I was the first time I saw "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (1947), but that is the first movie that I can remember seeing her in.

It is also one of my favorite moives, but since that time I have Always Been Intrigued with that beautiful lady. :)

Through TCM I found I found a new devotion to *Lon Chaney Sr.*

The man amazes me with his contortions. There was a time I thought of him only as ?The Phantom of the Opera? or ?The Hunchback of Notre Dame? But in films like ?West of Zanzibar? or ?The Unknown? or "He Who Gets Slapped" & many more?He can act with the best of them.

Unfortunately most of his films are hard to find or maybe lost.

Hopefully they?ll be another box set.

Watch him; you?ll be quite surprised as I was of his acting abilities.

vallo

I admit that many times I have TCM on for background noise, it's always a comforting presence whether I'm into the movie showing or not.

But, my head snaps around at the sound of Eve Arden's voice, or I look up and see Jan Sterling - everything stops. Jack Carson, Mary Wickes, and the two Ann's, Sothern and Sheridan have the same effect.

Melvyn Douglas. I find myself watching films that would never interest me (The Toy Wife; The Gorgeous Hussy) simply because he's in them. Is it his voice, his ability to play comedy and drama with equal ease, or his looks that make him so fascinating to me? I don't know, but whatever it is I can't stop watching when he's on.

Di

Message was edited by: Di, who wishes she could type better

Warren William does it for me. He's like the best of John Barrymore, William Powell and George Sanders rolled into one. Even as a slimeball he is utterly charming. His wardrobe is impeccable and his diction as well.

His off-screen life is interesting also as he was an inventor who held several patents. One short that I've seen on TCM showed his handiwork in designing his clothes closet, which really looked like a room and had a rotating array of suits available for any occasion. I'd just about kill for that collection.

I search the TCM schedule each month to find any titles that I'm missing and I'd pay full price for a box set - and I don't pay retail for anything.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Hi there Diana...what did you feel towards Douglas older in: "HUD" or "BEING THERE"??

Hi CM!

I first came to 'know' Douglas through his later performances. Hud was the first time I'd seen him and was blown away. He was more than able to hold his own in scenes with Paul Newman, no easy task for anyone let alone an actor who was on the wrong side of sixty. I next saw Douglas in The Americanization of Emily. Wow...same actor as before but totally different performance. I was beyond intrigued and mentioned him to my mom, who laughed at my assumption that I'd 'discovered' someone new. She had me checking his earlier performances in films like Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Ninotchka And now I can't pass up a movie with Mr. Douglas in the cast. (Lots of chances to see him next week with Joan Blondell, btw.)

Di

Message was edited by: dianabat

I agree. Ida Lupino and Lillian Gish have been mentioned who also intrigue me. As does Gloria Grahame. - RayAllen.

Like minded people think alike, ey Ray? Other posters have mentioned performers that get my attention everytime. I didn?t want to hog the thread by naming ?em all. Glad to see others appreciate Jennifer Jones, Ann Sheridan, Gene Tierney and others. Ooops! At the risk of hogging the thread, let me end by saying I see you mentioned Gloria Grahame. She?s a big favorite of mine and of many here on the Message Board. Please check out her thread if you haven?t already:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=124472&tstart=0

There are many essays and photos of her. Why don?t you go there and weigh in on what she means to you. She had a day all to her self on August 13th (as you probably already know) and many of us were head-over-heels about that. Come on over and talk about her if you get a chance. Thanx!

At the risk of hogging the thread, let me end by saying I see you mentioned Gloria Grahame. Shes a big favorite of mine and of many here on the Message Board. Please check out her thread if you havent already:

>

> http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=124472&tstart=0

>

Yes! I did see that thread. I got in on the tail end of it, but I will go back and look through each page. Right now, I think.

*Edit*

*Yikes! I had no idea it was over 70 pages. Well, time to get busy and start reading!*

Message was edited by: rayallen to express awe at the length of the Gloria Grahame thread!

> Seventy pages. Posh!! A mere encyclopedia of information, essays and photos from those who appreciate this under-rated actress. You have until tomorrow to read them.

I'll get at it, but I hope there isn't an essay question at the end.