Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need to know the name of a 1930's movie

Hope someone can help me here find a name of a movie.

1. It's from the 1930's, probably the mid-to-late 30's.  I don't recall any big name actors in the cast, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

2. I've seen it several times on TCM, so it's not a "lost" movie.

3. It's about a criminal ring that steals (or buys under the counter) original fashions from French Couturiers and sells them to dress makers who then mass produce them. 

I thought about this movie recently when I was reading Elizabeth Hawes' classic 1938 memoir, Fashion Is Spinach, which in part deals with her experiences as one of the "thieves".  I'm 99% sure I recorded the movie, but of course now that I want to re-watch it I can't think of the title! 😬

So any help would be much appreciated. 🙂

The film is also known for the Bette Davis  hairdo and how the studio tried to glamor her up.

Davis made it clear that Jack Warner could fine other actresses for such roles and was largely successful.   (but it took going to England to really get Jack to understand what he had;  a first rate actress!).

Bette Davis - Fashions of 1934 (1934) | Hollywood fashion, Bette davis,  Bette davis eyes

30 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, but we know old Hollywood...

What good is a first rate actress if she won't follow orders?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Sounds like the type of question Jack Warner would ask.    (which I assume you understand given the 'wink')

Here is the question Bette asked:  what good is a first rate actress is you put her into films with lousy scripts and less than able actors and directors.

After Bette went to England,  and Warner prevailed in their lawsuit against Bette,   Jack saw the light and the end result was a 10 year run of mostly  first rate films with their first rate actress,   AND solid box office returns.

• Thanks 1