Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

House of Wax and Other Horror Movies


Recommended Posts

I saw a re-release of House of Wax in, I think '83, presumably for its 30th anniversary. Possibly it was the first 3-D movie I ever saw in a theater. There was a brief revival of that technology at that time, although mostly for rated R movies, which I couldn't get into yet (some of them I would see later on HBO but without the 3-D). I did see Jaws 3-D. Not sure if that was before or after.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3-D or not HOUSE OF WAX is a hoot.  Yeah, much more scarier when I first saw it on TV in my youth ('bout '60 or so)  but later viewings when I reached my 20's and of course viewing them after some good quality South American smoking preparation gave it yet another dimension.  But regardless of which state(altered or not) the movie is a long time favorite and I'll never pass an opportunity to look in when it's on.  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

HOUSE OF WAX '53 works best when seen in 3D in a theater & audience. It generally would make the 'rounds this time of year. Not this year.

what if you only have monoscopic vision?

:P:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Carolyn Jones is so good in House of Wax that I was sorry the screenplay had her character meeting her end so soon.

It's hardly a scary film by moderns standards but it has slick handsome productions values, including some impressive studio sets and street scenes. Some of my favourite moments in the film are when Phyllis Kirk is being chased through the fog shrouded streets by the limping mad man in cape and slouch hat (shades of Jack the Ripper)..

Vincent-Price-and-Phyllis-Kirk-in-House-

Not to nit pick but why does the maniac limp in the film's earlier scenes but at the end of the film, when Price gets out of the wheelchair and starts to walk, there is no limp at all? I mean if he hadn't been doing that fake limp when chasing after the girl in the early scenes he might have caught her. Hey, here I am, catching myself pointing out the lack of logic in a horror film! Will I never learn? It's the movies!

Perhaps the film's best remembered scene  . . .

house-of-wax-1953-3-d-paddle-ball.jpg

. . . the magic of which Mel Brooks later failed to re-capture.

MatureImmaculateAmericanavocet-size_rest

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a few 3D movies over the years, but nothing prepared me for the most bizarre and unexpected ending ever, when I saw The Maze (directed by William Cameron Menzies) last year, in a 3D restoration at the Film Forum in NYC. It was part of a series programmed by Martin Scorsese and Jay Co_cks. 

Nothing prepared the audience for the climax of this film, to have the "monster" jump out into the audience, courtesy of 3D.  This gif doesn't do it justice. The Maze is a good, creepy movie, but when the "monster" jumped out at the end, in glorious 3D, it was met by the audience with a combination of shock and laughter.

But the fact is, you really feel sorry for him! 

007f58d8d1bf864ecdc6b4bcf5a7f388.gif

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I think I actually tune into House of Wax for the paddle guy...

House-of-Wax-1953-5.jpg

"Umphh trgh yv."

 

(Translation: "I thank you.").

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

I think I actually tune into House of Wax for the paddle guy...

OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, I CAN NAME HALF A DOZEN MOVIES THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN INFINITELY BETTER IF THEY HAD FEATURED "GUY WITH THE PADDLE BALL" FROM "HOUSE OF WAX.

GIGI, WAR AND PEACE, THE COBWEB, anything by CLIFFORD ODETS, THE BELLS OF ST MARYS, BLOW-UP, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY....

tumblr_inline_pgi46qFTgJ1r04m2r_500.png

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've mentioned this before, but I really enjoy HOUSE OF WAX a lot and have seen it AN AWFUL LOT. I recorded it a year ago off TCM and I will sometimes play it throughout the year.

I have a tendancey to fall asleep HARD AND HEAVY, then kind of come into a semi-conscious state during the final scene of a movie...and that line between dream and reality gets kind of blurred. 

i fell asleep during HOUSE OF WAX not too long ago and basically, i had a dream VINCENT PRICE was TRYING TO KILL ME, and frankly- it was a DELIGHT.

I have no idea when my time will come or how it will come, but truly- I can only hope it's half as fun as the time i was reasonably sure VINCENT PRICE was about to coat me in SCALDING HOT PEPTO BISMOL as that GREAT THEME MUSIC PLAYS.

I was into it.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 11:38 AM, Sepiatone said:

3-D or not HOUSE OF WAX is a hoot.  Yeah, much more scarier when I first saw it on TV in my youth ('bout '60 or so)  but later viewings when I reached my 20's and of course viewing them after some good quality South American smoking preparation gave it yet another dimension.  But regardless of which state(altered or not) the movie is a long time favorite and I'll never pass an opportunity to look in when it's on.  ;) 

Sepiatone

And I have to mention CAROLYN JONES as quite the prominent victim...! 

I myself prefer the 1933 original MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM which is a little naughty... and in two strip color! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

And I have to mention CAROLYN JONES as quite the prominent victim...! 

I myself prefer the 1933 original MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM which is a little naughty... and in two strip color! 

Well, that goes without saying...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Other posters have called it a paddle ball. That sounds better than my use of Ping-Pong which isn't quite right. I defer.

I think ping pong requires a partner. 
paddleball is ping pong for loners. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For fans of Reggie Rymal (the paddle ball guy in House of Wax) here is an appearance he made on The Spike Jones Show, demonstrating his paddle ball dexterity by playing musical bars with it, as well as dismantling a clarinet being played. Reggie comes into the video at 2:34. What a guy!

By the way, Reggie also appeared as a guy playing with yo yos in Vincent Price's The Mad Magician (1954).

Reggie's odd niche in show biz was recognized by Variety when they printed a 2002 obit for him:

Reggie Rymal, comedian and paddle-ball expert who was featured in the Warner Bros. 3D pic “House Of Wax” died Dec. 25 of a heart attack in La Habra Ca.. He was 81 years old.

Rymal was an entertainer and comedian in the early 1950s and was well known for his paddle-ball skills. He performed standup comedy and paddle-ball at hotels around the country. He appeared on many television shows during the early days of TV, including “The Eddie Cantor Show,” “You Asked For It,””Ladies Choice,” and “The Steve Allen Show”.

But he is best remembered for his paddle-ball act in “House Of Wax.” In the 3D pic, Rymal’s paddle-balls seem to jump off the screen

He is survived by his son Royal A. Rymal, three Grandchildren and his brother Murray Westgate.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

 

 

He is survived by his son Royal A. Rymal, three Grandchildren and his brother Murray Westgate.

Gee, I wonder if son Royal A. Rymal got wacked on HIS butt with those same damn paddles when HE misbehaved and like I did when I was a young kid?

(...NOT that it happened all the time, mind you...I mean, I wasn't THAT bad a kid, ya know!!!)  ;)

LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, that's it!

That's Spike Jones or someone from his rag-tag band though, playing a set of concert chimes off-camera.  Rymal isn't hitting the right notes, and at times isn't even hitting them. 😁   Part of their gag was discreetly playing along with their comedians, so they could look like they were playing something too.

Also of note here is Billy Barty, dressed up as the little chicken.  Based on interviews I have seen, his association with Spike Jones was easily the highlight of his career.  He was also dressed up as the "mischievous baby" in Gold Diggers of 1933, among other roles.

Love the telephone gag too.  These guys were crazy.  What you see here is a very scaled down version of their show, whatever they could fit into a TV studio.  It had been a traveling circus at one point.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Yep, that's it!

That's Spike Jones or someone from his rag-tag band though, playing a set of concert chimes off-camera.  Rymal isn't hitting the right notes, and at times isn't even hitting them. 😁   Part of their gag was discreetly playing along with their comedians, so they could look like they were playing something too.

Also of note here is Billy Barty, dressed up as the little chicken.  Based on interviews I have seen, his association with Spike Jones was easily the highlight of his career.  He was also dressed up as the "mischievous baby" in Gold Diggers of 1933, among other roles.

Love the telephone gag too.  These guys were crazy.  What you see here is a very scaled down version of their show, whatever they could fit into a TV studio.  It had been a traveling circus at one point.

I was going to add about Billy Barty here MCOH that you failed to mentioned his kids show he hosted back in the mid-'60s and which primarily featured Three Stooges shorts instead of cartoons.

But after just now checking Billy's wiki page, it appears it was only a local Los Angeles (my old stompin' grounds) program and was never syndicated for distribution in other parts of the country.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I was going to add about Billy Barty here MCOH that you failed to mentioned his kids show he hosted back in the mid-'60s and which primarily featured Three Stooges shorts instead of cartoons.

But after just now checking Billy's wiki page, it appears it was only a local Los Angeles (my old stompin' grounds) program and was never syndicated for distribution in other parts of the country.

Everyone else's loss I'm sure.

I was just typing things from memory there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...