Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Ghost Film?

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

HA!  Fine lot of classic film"fans" y'all are!

Charming!  It is worth pointing out that the OP requested "spooky" and GHOST AND MRS MUIR isn't spooky (got the score and the film on VHS and DVD). 

Now GHOST STORY has it's moments (I saw it new in a theater).  If you like 'em with color and great special effects, it fits the bill. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

GHOST STORY is great. It stars John Houseman, Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Melvin Douglas. I highly recommend it.

It deviates considerably from Peter Straub's book concept that a demon was taking the form of an old buried ghost (and has a draggy middle act), but it makes up for it with creepy melancholic atmosphere.

You want "serious" haunting?  Scariest snowstorm ever:  😱
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIKny0ORX-0

Spooky weather and John Houseman's ghost-storytelling also briefly liven up John Carpenter's original The Fog (1980), whose homage to classic seacoast ghost stories confused audiences expecting another straight slasher after "Halloween".

THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES with Abbott & Costello. A genuinely spooky show with a seance scene that gave me nightmares as a kid and still packs a wallop with me 60 years later! Gale Sondergaard - need I say more?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, EricJ said:

You want "serious" haunting?  Scariest snowstorm ever:  😱

Hee hee the music accompanying that clip sounded more like a kid's comedy.

But yeah, BLITHE SPIRIT, GHOST & MRS MUIR are favorites, but as I understood the OP was asking for scary ghost stories. Too bad once you've seen a classic a couple of times, it definitely becomes less & less scary.

THE HAUNTING (1963) gets my nomination as probably the scariest ghost film I've seen. I have, however, not seen a few of the film suggestions on this thread, in particular any of the Japanese films. I appreciate the fact that director Robert Wise, using amplified sound effects and one creepy effect (a door seeming to pulsate as something is pushing against it from the other side) primarily leaves the horror to the audience's imagination.

thehaunting.png

MV5BODEzNmQ1MGUtNDFlOS00ZWY4LTg4NDQtYzM1

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Charming!  It is worth pointing out that the OP requested "spooky" and GHOST AND MRS MUIR isn't spooky (got the score and the film on VHS and DVD). 

I thought GEORGE SANDERS showing up in it was pretty scary.  ;) 

And y'know, since none of the "supernatural" things that happen in HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL weren't really supernatural, but staged to disguise homicides, I don't think it fits the bill here either.  But it does typically get early mention in these type of threads. 

But even though it's still two days until Halloween, I'm already past being weary of this genre already.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

And y'know, since none of the "supernatural" things that happen in HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL weren't really supernatural, but staged to disguise homicides, I don't think it fits the bill here either.  But it does typically get early mention in these type of threads. 

Though I have long owned that on VHS, revisiting HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL about 35 years ago, I was disappointed and think that film is ridiculous (though I like CAROL OHMART).   Generally speaking, it's just plain bad. 

• Like 1

How about Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein?  Maltin writes:  "All-time great horror-comedy still works beautifully, mainly because the monster's play it straight."  😱

On Halloween, we're watching the director's cut of The Exorcist with 11 additional minutes that add something creepy-crawly to the film. 👹

Neither is really a ghost story, but beggars can't be choosers on Halloween 2020 (or something like that!).  😷

wise made a mistake building most of the film around an annoying neurotic who has the audience rooting that the ghosts get her...and I thought russ tamblyn was rather annoying too as the scoffing young heir to the place.

thehaunting.png

• Haha 1
On 10/28/2020 at 2:52 PM, Hoganman1 said:

GHOST STORY is great. It stars John Houseman, Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Melvin Douglas. I highly recommend it.

I too give a shout out to Ghost Story (1981). It is unfairly forgotten in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

wise made a mistake building most of the film around an annoying neurotic who has the audience rooting that the ghosts get her...and I thought russ tamblyn was rather annoying too as the scoffing young heir to the place.

thehaunting.png

It's a great movie.  I'm tired of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES with Abbott & Costello. A genuinely spooky show with a seance scene that gave me nightmares as a kid and still packs a wallop with me 60 years later! Gale Sondergaard - need I say more?

It's a kiddy comedy--Bud & Lou were starting to break up, and Lou couldn't resist a story that let him finally give Bud invisible kicks in the pants 😁 --but, yes, that seance comes out of nowhere.

There's an even spookier seance in Curse/Night of the Demon, but that's a minor plot point and it's not a ghost story.

12 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

But even though it's still two days until Halloween, I'm already past being weary of this genre already.  :rolleyes:

I'm not one of the fanboys who spends all month on it, and I never get around to the "traditional" viewing of Charlie Brown, Mel Brooks, Ray Bradbury and 3-D Jack Skellington until the last few days...

However, I had the "unfortunate" timing to buy Shout Factory's reissued Vincent Price Vol. 1 boxset of Roger Corman's Edgar Allan Poe movies, and that ended taking up the entire month.  I have only Masque of the Red Death to finish before giving The Abominable Dr. Phibes (for which traditional October viewing I had bought the set for) one more spin for the holiday.

18 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

On Halloween, we're watching the director's cut of The Exorcist

That movie is chilling in parts. Unfortunately, I saw all the SNL parodies way before seeing the movie, which kind of ruined the impact. Instead of being horrified, I felt so sad for the little girl & her Mom.

I'll probably watch ROCKY HORROR since it's easy to interrupt for trick-or-treaters...hope they come! Then I'll look for GHOST STORY streaming. Thanks for the recommendations! 

11 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

It's a great movie.  I'm tired of it. 

That seems to be the case with many classic films, but especially horror. Once you know exactly what will happen your attention drifts, the "scare" loses impact. 

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

How about Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein?  Maltin writes:  "All-time great horror-comedy still works beautifully, mainly because the monster's play it straight."  

One of my favourite films but there aren't any ghosts in it.

17 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Re: Ghost Story - book is better than movie but movie was still good

I love The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and also liked the TV Show with Edward Mulhare (sp?) and Hope Lange

I remember and liked that show too.  And your spelling of Mulhare's name was OK.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The Ghost and Mrs Muir coulda been much better and they wasted the terrific chemistry between Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney. I doan like the BS of her simply forgetting him and thinking of it as a romantic fantasy....and I got pretty sick of him calling her Lucia. it's not an italian film.

I like the way the 1960s series took full advantage of the novelty of a mortal woman have a romantic relationship with a ghost.

Bravo to both Edward Mulhare and Hope Lange.

Hope Lange and Edward Mulhare in TV's "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" | Old tv shows,  Tv series, Great memories

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (1968)

• Like 1

As noted here, Margheriti's Nightmare Castle has terrific atmosphere. Tormented is a good ghost flick the MST people trashed because that's what they do. Richard Carlson's performance  was the glue that anchored the movie. Bava's Hatchet For the Honeymoon is a giallo that switches to a ghost story midway through the film.

16 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Wow thanks for that clip! I loved that show & did not realize faves Reta Shaw & Charles Nelson Reilly were part of it. Kids & other charactors certainly added to the story-especially since I was a kid & didn't really understand romance.  I did know the scene of the kids feeding ducks was a "foul" even as a 10 year old, since I raised Pekin Ducks & knew they don't live in salt water.

As an adult I just fell in love with the movie, though.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 9:09 AM, TomJH said:

THE HAUNTING (1963) gets my nomination as probably the scariest ghost film I've seen...(snip)...I appreciate the fact that director Robert Wise, using amplified sound effects and one creepy effect primarily leaves the horror to the audience's imagination.

It’s a movie that makes you scare yourself. Since so much is left unseen and unexplained or relies on the power of suggestion, it doesn’t work nearly as well with distracted viewing.

I’ve never read the novel - except for the memorable paragraph that describes Hill House and talks about larks and katydids dreaming - but apparently there’s a part, not included in the movie, where the women are walking outside when Theo cries out for Nell to run. She’s seen something behind them, something that chases them, but what that was is never revealed to the reader *shiver*.

(In the movie, apart from the ghostly voices & laughter and that door, I also find Mrs. Dudley’s smile and the second Mrs. Crane’s fall down the stairs to be very frightening. The angle of her head as she lies on the landing...one of the attic mannequins in the Geico commercial has its head bent back in a similar unnatural position. Freaks me out.)

I have read a few short pieces by Shirley Jackson: “The Lottery” (for English class); an author’s essay about readers who believed “The Lottery” was a true story (and this was almost as, if not more, frightening than the original story); and “The Summer People”. 

There is a scribbled note in “The Summer People” that haunts me because I’m not sure what it means - actually, I’m not sure what happens in the story, at all. But it reminds me of a (fictional) story I heard once on NPR - “Francis”/The Deepest Part of the Lake - it also has a scrawled note (by an unknown and maybe not ordinary hand) and ominously ambiguous ending.  A few years ago I found it was made into an animated short film.

P. S. I really like Blithe Spirit and The Ghost and Mrs . Muir (movie) I’ve never seen the tv show but have read the book.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 1:15 PM, NipkowDisc said:

wise made a mistake building most of the film around an annoying neurotic who has the audience rooting that the ghosts get her

Julie Harris is almost always a hard watch for me. Just my personal tastes.

On 10/27/2020 at 6:32 PM, TomJH said:

I've been in a mood for a spooky thrill lately but, outside of THE UNINVITED (1944), THE INNOCENTS (1961) and THE HAUNTING (1963) I can't really think of any to watch.

Any suggestions?

The Curse of the Cat People is sublime and silly fun. The Sleepy Hollow segment of The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad might also be up your alley, Tom.

17 minutes ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

The Curse of the Cat People is sublime and silly fun. The Sleepy Hollow segment of The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad might also be up your alley, Tom.

I enjoy both though I hardly find them scary. Curse of the Cat People is actually quite poignant when seen through the viewpoint of a sensitive, lonely little girl.

• Like 2