Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Missing Hitchcock Movie: Notorious

For about a year I have been trying to find out why TCM refuses to air Hitchcock’s Notorious with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant.  I don’t think it has been aired in several years.  Any previous attempt to get a reply from TCM has not worked.  Is there some politically correct reason why the movie has been off the schedule?  With a full day of Hitchcock films set for Thanksgiving, it would have been a perfect time to resume airing it.  Does anyone know anything about the fate of Notorious?

I believe Notorious (1946) was last shown on TCM in July of 2017 as part of a '50 Years of Hitchcock' Spotlight theme, so it has been a while.  For whatever reason, Notorious does not seem to get as many repeat showings on TCM when compared to some of the other Hitchcock classics, and I agree that the upcoming Hitchcock marathon session in November would have been a good time to include it.  Maybe next year...

21 hours ago, Kleb said:

For about a year I have been trying to find out why TCM refuses to air Hitchcock’s Notorious with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant.  I don’t think it has been aired in several years.  Any previous attempt to get a reply from TCM has not worked.  Is there some politically correct reason why the movie has been off the schedule?  With a full day of Hitchcock films set for Thanksgiving, it would have been a perfect time to resume airing it.  Does anyone know anything about the fate of Notorious?

The film puts Macguffins in a bad light.   That is the PC reason TCM doesn't show it.

PS:  Last time TCM showed the film  was in 2017.  Before that 4x in 2014, 6x in 2013, and fairly consistently all the way back to 2002;

So yea,  it has been over 3 years.     This is a very good film and one of my favorite Hitchcock films so hopefully TCM will show it soon.

I know that not everyone wants to purchase movies, but in case you do, Criterion recently updated their previous version of NOTORIOUS with a newly released DVD and blu-ray.   (The Barnes & Noble 50% off sale for Criterion movies is presumably coming up soon!)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, BingFan said:

I know that not everyone wants to purchase movies, but in case you do, Criterion recently updated their previous version of NOTORIOUS with a newly released DVD and blu-ray.   (The Barnes & Noble 50% off sale for Criterion movies is presumably coming up soon!)

I had wondered if the introduction of the Criterion blu-ray version at the beginning of 2019 might have been a reason for TCM to stop showing Notorious, but the withdrawal seems to have started  in 2015 (it has been shown only once in the last 6 years).  I also checked the Criterion Channel streaming service, and it appears that Notorious is not currently available to watch there either.

The Criterion blu-ray would be the absolute best way to view the film at home, so catching it on sale would be nice.

Unless TCM vice president of programming Charles Tabesh or someone in his department suddenly starts participating online, we may never know what is going on with their choices.

You never know what expensive "package" NOTORIOUS may be bundled with. I think only movie theaters can rent just ONE movie, broadcast stations have to rent bundled packages, often containing unrelated titles.

The other titles may be stinkers TCM just doesn't want to show. I know CASABLANCA is like that, part of a very expensive package, which is why it's not shown very often.

This is the whole reason TCM has Saturday serials and Friday night UNDERGROUND-a place to put all those unrelated titles in the bundle.

• Like 2

reelgood.com is a website that canvasses services that stream, rent or sell movies online, and it gives a title a "streamability" score from 0 to 100 (100 being best).

Notorious currently has a score of 0.  It says it's not available for streaming (either a subscription service, like Netflix or TV everywhere service, like Watch TCM), rental or purchase (although you'll still be able to get inventory of physical media). 

The four Selznick-Hitchcock pictures (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case) all were last seen on TCM in July 2017 according to MovieCollectorOH's list, and there was a gap of several years prior to that for each of these.   

Most of these four have been shown 30 to 40 times (Notorious being the exception with 53 showings), so for the first 15 years or so of TCM , these were shown with regularity on the network.  This likely points to either a change in rights ownership, rights expiration, or as TikiSoo pointed out,  a change in pricing/packaging.

• Like 1

I'm glad I caught those films when they were available. You just never know with TCM. I swear there was a run where TCM didn't show My Fair Lady for like six years during the '10s after it used to seem to be on practically every weekend for about 10 years.  I don't guess I'll ever know the story behind that, although it seems to have returned with some regularity in the last couple of years.  And of course something happened with Angels with Dirty Faces, which used to a staple but hasn't aired for more than a decade, I think.

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm glad I caught those films when they were available. You just never know with TCM. I swear there was a run where TCM didn't show My Fair Lady for like six years during the '10s after it used to seem to be on practically every weekend for about 10 years.  I don't guess I'll ever know the story behind that, although it seems to have returned with some regularity in the last couple of years.  And of course something happened with Angels with Dirty Faces, which used to a staple but hasn't aired for more than a decade, I think.

I know you know-the-score but a lot of  newbies don't;    comments like "You just never know with TCM",  imply that the reason TCM isn't showing certain  films is some type of intentional action by TCM.    I.e. something fully in TCM's control.      

I'm only pointing this out because the OP's very loaded question;  are there PC reasons TCM isn't showing this film.

Various conspiracy theories are always being floated for why TCM showed a  "cut" version,  showed a film in the USA but not Canada,     didn't show this film since YYYY,  etc...

Of course we would all like to know the actual reason for "why",  but based on my experience at this forum,  when we do,  TCM had little to no control over the outcome.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The four Selznick-Hitchcock pictures (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case) all were last seen on TCM in July 2017 according to MovieCollectorOH's list, and there was a gap of several years prior to that for each of these.  

An interesting wrinkle to this is that the Criterion Collection renewed their Blu-ray /DVD licensing agreements foe Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious a few years back and has released upgraded editions of Rebecca and Notorious thus far. Spellbound should be released sometime in the next year or so, but definitely before the contract ends.

This lends credence to your theory related to pricing. The rightsholders may not have changed, but their pricing has increased. 

I am guessing that The Paradine Case is also part of the negotiated package, but that the Criterion Collection just picked the best 3 movies representative of their mission. In addition, it satisfies their goal of upgrading DVD titles that have long since become out of print. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sort of related to this topic: very few of the Selznick pictures made during the 1940's are currently seen on TCM. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE, DUEL IN THE SUN, THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE, as well as the Hitchcock films, have all  disappeared from the airwaves. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I did note that The Third Man is airing in January as part of the Korda spotlight. It was, I think, kind of a Korda-Selznick co-production? So, TCM is still showing it, at least. But its circumstances may be completely different than the ones listed above.