Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sean Connery (1930 - 2020)

Just now, Lori Ann said:

They showed a stack of James Bond movies (I think) last year.  Eon anniversary?  I forgot the reason.  They showed "Dr. No" to one of the Pierce Brosnan ones, maybe "Tomorrow Never Dies".

Lori

Yes TCM showed those films but as Tom noted that was likely a limited leasing agreement as part of a promotional agreement.     (I don't recall if TCM promoted DVD of these films or not).           

In 2019 this was the schedule:

Secret agent 007 is being feted in a big way. TCM will present James Bond movies on Thursdays in September.

The first 19 of the 24 Bond films made by Eon Productions will screen. The schedule spills into the following Fridays.

Here’s how the TCM schedule breaks down with the various Bonds: six with Sean Connery, the one with George Lazenby, the seven with Roger Moore, the two with Timothy Dalton and three with Pierce Brosnan. The fourth Brosnan film, “Die Another Day,” is not part of the schedule.

Here’s the Bond schedule:

• Sept. 5: “Dr. No” at 8 p.m., “From Russia With Love” at 10 p.m., “Goldfinger” at 12:15 a.m., “Thunderball” at 2:15 a.m., “You Only Live Twice” at 4:45 a.m.
  • Sept. 12: “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” at 8 p.m., “Diamonds Are Forever” at 10:30 p.m., “Live and Let Die” at 12:45 a.m., “The Man With the Golden Gun” at 3 a.m.
  • Sept. 19: “The Spy Who Loved Me” at 8 p.m., “Moonraker” at 10:15 p.m., “For Your Eyes Only” at 12:30 a.m., “Octopussy” at 3 a.m., “A View to a Kill” at 5:15 a.m.
  • Sept. 26: “The Living Daylights” at 8 p.m., “Licence to Kill” at 10:30 p.m., “Goldeneye” at 1 a.m., “Tomorrow Never Dies” at 3:30 a.m., “The World Is Not Enough” at 5:30 a.m.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I only watched one night of the Bond month. It must have been baseball season. It was a Roger Moore night. I watched The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker. I don't recall hawking of the DVDs on that night.

Those are good ones!  I know all the James Bond movies.  Some are better than others.  I didn't like "Quantum of Solace".  But during the TCM day, I was watching most of them.  I got to see "Octopussy" for the first time during that.  I liked it.

Lori

27 minutes ago, hawaiiansurf1 said:

Secret agent 007 is being feted in a big way. TCM will present James Bond movies on Thursdays in September.

The first 19 of the 24 Bond films made by Eon Productions will screen. The schedule spills into the following Fridays.

Here’s how the TCM schedule breaks down with the various Bonds: six with Sean Connery, the one with George Lazenby, the seven with Roger Moore, the two with Timothy Dalton and three with Pierce Brosnan. The fourth Brosnan film, “Die Another Day,” is not part of the schedule.

• Sept. 5: “Dr. No” at 8 p.m., “From Russia With Love” at 10 p.m., “Goldfinger” at 12:15 a.m., “Thunderball” at 2:15 a.m., “You Only Live Twice” at 4:45 a.m.
  • Sept. 12: “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” at 8 p.m., “Diamonds Are Forever” at 10:30 p.m., “Live and Let Die” at 12:45 a.m., “The Man With the Golden Gun” at 3 a.m.
  • Sept. 19: “The Spy Who Loved Me” at 8 p.m., “Moonraker” at 10:15 p.m., “For Your Eyes Only” at 12:30 a.m., “Octopussy” at 3 a.m., “A View to a Kill” at 5:15 a.m.
  • Sept. 26: “The Living Daylights” at 8 p.m., “Licence to Kill” at 10:30 p.m., “Goldeneye” at 1 a.m., “Tomorrow Never Dies” at 3:30 a.m., “The World Is Not Enough” at 5:30 a.m.

Thanks for finding that!!!

Lori

I watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade last night by way of paying tribute to Sean Connery. I hadn't seen the film in a few years. It's a better than average action film, with some cute bits of humour, but Connery doesn't enter the film until about 45 minutes in. I was struck by how much he added to a film that, until then, had had a creeping feeling of deja vu after having seen the first two films in the series. Connery and Harrison Ford had great chemistry as they often banter with one another and I love the fact that Sean plays Indy's archeologist Dad as a being bit naive and staid, and certainly never having had the action lifestyle of his son.

When Indy and his father are confronted by some German soldiers Indy reacts, much to the shock of his father, by immediately blowing them all away with a machine gun. As father and son then start to run from the room, Connery looks down at the bodies and says, incredulously, "Look what you just did." I loved that touch, almost as if to say, "Where did you learn to do this kind of thing?"

There's later a rather typical action scene, for this series, in which Indy is driving a motorycle with his father in the passenger seat beside him as they try to escape Germans pursuing them. There's a spectacular stunt in which Indy drives the Germans off the road then looks with a smile of satisfaction on his face for an approving smile from his father. Connery responds with an "I'm not impressed" dirty look, which wipes the smile off Indy's face. He just can't please Pop. I laughed out loud.

Connery is wonderful in this film, his performance a real highlight in the production for me.

Indiana-Jones-Sean-Connery1200.jpg

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade last night by way of paying tribute to Sean Connery. I hadn't seen the film in a few years. It's a better than average action film, with some cute bits of humour, but Connery doesn't enter the film until about 45 minutes in. I was struck by how much he added to a film that, until then, had had a creeping feeling of deja vu after having seen the first two films in the series. Connery and Harrison Ford had great chemistry as they often banter with one another and I love the fact that Sean plays Indy's archeologist Dad as a being bit naive and staid, and certainly never having had the action lifestyle of his son.

When Indy and his father are confronted by some German soldiers Indy reacts, much to the shock of his father, by immediately blowing them all away with a machine gun. As father and son then start to run from the room, Connery looks down at the bodies and says, incredulously, "Look what you just did." I loved that touch, almost as if to say, "Where did you learn to do this kind of thing?"

There's later a rather typical action scene, for this series, in which Indy is driving a motorycle with his father in the passenger seat beside him as they try to escape Germans pursuing them. There's a spectacular stunt in which Indy drives the Germans off the road then looks with a smile of satisfaction on his face for an approving smile from his father. Connery responds with an "I'm not impressed" dirty look, which wipes the smile off Indy's face. He just can't please Pop. I laughed out loud.

Connery is wonderful in this film, his performance a real highlight in the production for me.

Indiana-Jones-Sean-Connery1200.jpg

My favorite Indiana Jones movie because of Connery.  Of course, the writers deserve some credit for writing a role that he could really do very well.  And they both got the girl.

1 hour ago, hawaiiansurf1 said:

One of the movie networks usually has a Bond Fest sometime during the year, but don't know which one.  While I like all of them except Pierce Brosnan ones, the ones on Sept. 5 are among the best, if not the best.

So sad.  He was a really wonderful actor and one of my very favorite Bonds also.  He played the role very well.  I’ve got two favorite Bonds.  Sir Sean Connery and Roger Moore.  But if I were to only pick one?  It would be Sir Sean Connery.  He’ll really be missed and I was thinking the night before last.  That you could probably call him a Bond treasure.  A friend of mine whose favorite movie was Walt Disney’s Darby O Gill And The Little People.  Which Lenoared Malton showed as part of Treasures From The Disney Vault of course.  That was one of my friends favorite movies of Sir Sean’s and he said that it was one of the first ones he ever made and Lenoared Malton said that he actually became Bond ten years later.  I remember when he was SOTM.  There will probably be a tribute to him during the memorial tributes next month right after the Holidays and Christmas right?  I’ll be watching and I’ve been trying to figure out.  How many movies had he done by the time he did Walt Disney’s Darby O Gill And The Little People?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Eon Productions Ltd. is a British film production company that primarily produces the James Bond film series. The company is based in London's Piccadilly and also operates from Pinewood Studios in the UK.

Honey, I've been to Piccadilly and Pinewood in England, so I know where they are. LOL

BTW-- I used the word Cinema, which is the general term for films in the world. I never mentioned Hollywood USA.

Get a grip and keep it.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Honey, I've been to Piccadilly and Pinewood in England, so I know where they are. LOL

BTW-- I used the word Cinema, which is the general term for films in the world. I never mentioned Hollywood USA.

Get a grip and keep it.

You're funny,  but I fail to see why you are getting so defensive:  Maybe you missed where I posted this:

There is no doubt that Connery deserves a tribute by TCM.   That was  never in question.    What was in question is would TCM do one.

I believe TCM will,  but it could be very limited,  as Hibi implies;  I.e. the films TCM already have a leasing agreement for.  

Tom make an excellent point about The Red Tent:   but I believe the rights to this film are held by a foreign company.

I have had a crush on Sir Sean since I saw him in Darby O"Gill and the Little People.  I watched it tow nights ago.  While not a dramatic piece of any mention, he was just so handsome!  Loved the magical Irish tale as a young 6 year old girl.  Was so happy to see him in Bond later when I was a little bit older.  Watched Russia House on Saturday.  I will watch what I can on my cable network.

image.jpeg.9ef6c028750ae9b5c28b16dc1f432512.jpeg    image.jpeg.11a740608c7c2a43a320495185420ffb.jpeg   image.jpeg.8a08d636294b7117e1da0870393f8286.jpeg  image.jpeg.c6e9e45a234fa0258e9a7ccceb9adbb7.jpeg

image.jpeg.6bd9c5fe9f5b375b672be98d4cf6a182.jpeg  Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959) – The Great Disney Movie Ride

On 11/3/2020 at 3:54 PM, hawaiiansurf1 said:

I have had a crush on Sir Sean since I saw him in Darby O"Gill and the Little People.  I watched it tow nights ago.  While not a dramatic piece of any mention, he was just so handsome!  Loved the magical Irish tale as a young 6 year old girl.  Was so happy to see him in Bond later when I was a little bit older.  Watched Russia House on Saturday.  I will watch what I can on my cable network.

image.jpeg.9ef6c028750ae9b5c28b16dc1f432512.jpeg    image.jpeg.11a740608c7c2a43a320495185420ffb.jpeg   image.jpeg.8a08d636294b7117e1da0870393f8286.jpeg  image.jpeg.c6e9e45a234fa0258e9a7ccceb9adbb7.jpeg

image.jpeg.6bd9c5fe9f5b375b672be98d4cf6a182.jpeg  Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959) – The Great Disney Movie Ride

sean connery a fine irish lad.

:lol:

On 11/3/2020 at 12:38 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "There is no doubt that Connery deserves a tribute by TCM.   That was  never in question.    What was in question is would TCM do one.

I believe TCM will,  but it could be very limited..."

The in memorium for Sean Connery seems rather subdued for the man who both established and cemented the silver screen character of James Bond: Couldn't the TCM crew have taken a bit more time to offer some more quintessential Connery/Bond images?

• Like 1

Just saw the cover of People magazine today. Connery had a big picture in the one corner but he didn't get the main cover to himself. If he couldn't, I doubt that many great movie stars will get that chance in the future. [For the record, the main part of the cover went to Michael J. Fox; at least a long established household name instead of a tabloid happy flavor of the month celebrity]