Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sean Connery (1930 - 2020)

On 11/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, sewhite2000 said:

His Oscar-winning performance in The Untouchables, he also played an Irishman.

I never really pd that much attention-(though like him as A #1 BOND) until THE UNTOUCHABLES

& the way the AMPAS ALMOST IGNORED THIS GRANDLY ENTERTAINING CRIME-DRAMA WAS A DISGRACE, THOUGH I KNEW THETY WOULD BACK THEMN

IT'S onY NODS WERE FOR HIM, SCORE-(Morricone)-( & DESE5RVED TO WIN), cOSTUMES & ART DIRECTION THAT WAS THE YR OF *THE LAST EMPEROR THOUGH GOING 9 FOR 9  THE UNTOUACHABLES  $76M &  DE NIRO WASAN0THER SNUB AS AL CAPONE-(BEST YET ON THE SCREEN) THE LATE BOB HOSKINS WAS GONNA PLAY CAPONE, UNTUIL THEY GOT BOBBY DE FOR IT

(My Alternate Oscars for '87)> Best Film: The Untouchables-(barely over Full Metal Jacket), Actor: (tie) Michael Douglas in Wall Street* & Jack Nicholson in Ironweed  Actress: (tie) Holly Hunter in Broadcast News & Meryl Streep in Ironweed  S. Actor: *Connery, The Untouchables, S. Actress: *0lympia Dukakis in Moonstruck  & Best Director: Stanley Kubrick for Full Metal Jacket)

This is something others may agree & or enjoy with  We went to THE UNTOUCHABLES (June of 1987)

& typically there were several punks in the audience & w3ere disgustingly outrageously obnoxious during the show, until my mother got up & BELLOWED TO THEM IN WORDS I CAN'T WRITE HERE

& of course they yelled disgusting things right back at my mum, she got them thrown out-(ABOUT 7 TO 8 OF THESE SCUM WERE ALL & IMMEDIATELY THROWN 0UT OF THIS THEATRE, WE WERE FRIENDS W/IT'S MGR AS WELL   I CAN EVEN NAME THE EXACT SCENE IN WHICH THIS HAPPENED & EVERYTIME I'VE REWATCHED THIOS GREAT DE PALMA EPIC I IMMEDIATRELY REMIND HER OF THIS OCCASION  IT'S THE SCEWNE WHERE MALONE (CONNERY had a huge fistfight with his old cop pal in an alley)

After this great motion picture ended she asked me if we should go out the back way & where these punks were earlier thrown out, i reminded her NOP WAY!  Given i'm pretty much still a gangster down here in exile from New Jersey

Did anyone else yet post ESSENTIAL SEAN CONNERY MOTION PICTURES?

Anyhow my own are-(4 limited in Essentials same as Osborne used to do with his marvelous GP's Guest Programmers)>

1.  THE UNTOUCHABLES (l987) (& grossed $76 million domestically)

2. THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (l975) (deserved a l;ot more Oscar Love than it got & don't ever forget DANNY ^& PEACHY)

3. FROM RUSSUIA WITH LOVE (l963)-(obviously my own fav Bond flick & fellow Irishman Robert Shaw was among the Bond Best Villians)

& 4th  THE HILL (he was robbed of a leading actor nom for this B & W epic, matter of fact Danny Peary in the book Altnate Oscars v0ted for him as deserving to win)

And WORST CONNERY FILM: THE AVENGERS (l998)

(HONORABLE MENTION) (CONNERY was pt of this heavyweight war-epic THE LONGEST DAY)

On 11/7/2020 at 6:32 PM, spence said:

Did anyone else yet post ESSENTIAL SEAN CONNERY MOTION PICTURES?

My Top Five

1. Goldfinger (1964) The best James Bond actor in the best James Bond film. Connery tosses off a great wisecrack, has a great scene with his Aston Martin and has to battle a near indestructible henchman in Oddjob. One of my favorite action movies.

2. The Untouchables (1987) Connery is excellent as the beat cop given a chance to redeem himself from corruption and goes after Al Capone with Eliot Ness. My favorite film of the 1980s.

3. Dr No (1962) The first 007 film and Connery at his toughest and most ruthless. His first scene is iconic.

4. From Russia With Love (1963) Connery again is deadly serious as Bond, he slaps Russian agent Daniela Bianchi, fights with brutal assassin Robert Shaw and has to avoid the poison tip shoes of Lotte Lenya.

5. The Man Who Would Be King (1975) A rousing adventure film and one of Connery's most challenging roles. As a British soldier in India who is thought to be a god, he starts to believe it himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Thunderball and You Only Live Twice are the only James Bond movies I saw in a theater.

After adolescence I quickly lost interest in James Bond. Sorry 007. I will watch them both

tonight because it's been such a long time and it will almost be like seeing them for the first

time. I bought a chocolate fudge cake for Thanksgiving dessert, but I think I will start on

it tonight during the Bonds flicks. Neither shaken or stirred. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Hibi said:

Bumped to remind people that his tribute is TONIGHT! I plan on watching the first 3 films.

Which are?  Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and Marnie.

It will be  a long night unless you record them.

I recall holding off on the James Bond craze as a kid, finally succumbing for the first time to seeing You Only Live Twice on the big screen. I loved it, and found myself going to see the four previous Connery Bond films when they played as double bills in a second run Toronto theatre. Unfortunately it was at the Rio Theatre, which had a reputation as being a place where street people and a few drunks liked to go to stay out of the cold or sleep it off. There were odours peculiar to the Rio that I never smelled in any other theatre and, believe me, it wasn't the smell of freshly made popcorn. Once when my shoes landed in something sticky on the floor there they kept squeaking and partially sticking to the floor with each subsequent step that I took.

Well, I enjoyed the four Bond films I saw there, with Goldfinger making a particularly big impression upon me. But it didn't make as much of an impression as that certain something that kept biting me under my clothes and causing me to scratch a lot. Upon my arrival home I did what I always did after going to the Rio - took a steaming hot shower.  I found that the biting and itching always stopped then.

a5f7efcd1400a861f472b9b0ba753f2c.jpg

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to itch."

• Haha 4
On 11/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, ElCid said:

Which are?  Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and Marnie.

It will be  a long night unless you record them.

It Was a long night, but I watched them!

• Like 1