Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lots of them thar faces in Them! (1954).

Also Sandy Descher, the young girl who was in a bunch of movies around that same time, like The Space Children, The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit, The Opposite Sex and The Prodigal. For a brief time it seemed like she was everywhere, then she mostly went to TV. Her scene in Them! is my favorite, as the unresponsive child who was rescued after the first attack on the trailer. She was being loaded into the ambulance when that creepy sound started. The two guys were distracted and didn't notice that as soon as the noise started she sat up with a look of horror on her face, then slowly lay back as the sound faded. It was a moment worthy of Hitchcock; the guys never even noticed but the audience sure did. 

4570-19250.jpg

• Like 2

One of my favorite movies.  

In 1953, Packard Motor Car Co. had a contest to: Give Joan Weldon, Young Hollywood Star, a New Name.  Prize was a 1953 Packard Caribbean convertible plus a trip to Hollywood.  A very expensive car at the time.  As may be obvious, Weldon never changed her name.  Them! was her biggest role, but she appeared in other movies and on TV shows.  She was a singer before making movies and returned to that profession in 1958.

1953 Packard Caribbean | Carolina Muscle Cars Inc.

• Thanks 4
3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

HEH!  My Grandfather might have helped build that car.  He worked for Packard from '32 to closing!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Probably best looking car Packard ever made.  Too bad it got suckered by Studebaker into a merger and then disappeared.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, ElCid said:

One of my favorite movies.  

In 1953, Packard Motor Car Co. had a contest to: Give Joan Weldon, Young Hollywood Star, a New Name.  Prize was a 1953 Packard Caribbean convertible plus a trip to Hollywood.  A very expensive car at the time.  As may be obvious, Weldon never changed her name.  Them! was her biggest role, but she appeared in other movies and on TV shows.  She was a singer before making movies and returned to that profession in 1958.

1953 Packard Caribbean | Carolina Muscle Cars Inc.

I'll take one!

That thing looks like it lives in a climate-controlled warehouse,  the only mileage to get loaded up into a big trailer and then off and into display position at car shows.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I never thought Packard made a bad looking car....

Sepiatone

Go to the "elephant" at about 22 mins on the video.  I have this video on DVD and one other on Packard in the 1950's.

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Too bad that merger with Studebaker fizzled.  Not even THIS gem could save it-----

Sepiatone

Actually the Avanti would never save Studebaker by itself, but it was a halo car that would have brought attention to the make and more importantly customers to the showrooms to buy Larks or maybe Grand Turismos.  By the time they got the Avanti in production though, the hand writing was on the wall for Studebaker.

Too bad that merger with Studebaker fizzled.  Not even THIS gem could save it-----

Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Interesting video.  I believe the platform for the Avanti was actually the Studebaker Lark, but with larger engines.  The video refers to "polyester," but we call it fiberglass here.  It had to be done in fiberglass because of the way Loewy designed it, which created lots of problems in production - and more than just paint.

Anyway, interesting video.  And we sure got a long way from Them!

19 hours ago, ElCid said:

Interesting video.  I believe the platform for the Avanti was actually the Studebaker Lark, but with larger engines.  The video refers to "polyester," but we call it fiberglass here.  It had to be done in fiberglass because of the way Loewy designed it, which created lots of problems in production - and more than just paint.

Anyway, interesting video.  And we sure got a long way from Them!

We call it fiberglass 'round here too.  I assume polyester was a corporate decision in name choice.  Back then, polyester wasn't a well known material, so maybe people might think it was sturdier than fiberglass?  ;)   But then.....   Imagine if JOHN TRAVOLTA'S suit was made of FIBERGLASS instead!   :D  

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

We call it fiberglass 'round here too.  I assume polyester was a corporate decision in name choice.  Back then, polyester wasn't a well known material, so maybe people might think it was sturdier than fiberglass?  ;)   But then.....   Imagine if JOHN TRAVOLTA'S suit was made of FIBERGLASS instead!   :D  

Sepiatone

I think it may have been a European or British term at the time.  The video seems to be somewhat aged.

21 hours ago, ElCid said:

I think it may have been a European or British term at the time.  The video seems to be somewhat aged.

I have no idea when that video was shot, but the narrator did use the term, "back in the day", which is not really all that "aged".  And as the car was assembled in South Bend, Indiana, I don't see why an American produced video about it would use European or British terms in reference to the materials used in it's assembly. But I'mdoubtful that the polyester used in the Avanti body was the same as used to make Travolta's suit.  ;)   Can't imagine a car made of cloth, just as THESE were once made from.....

Sepiatone

41 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I have no idea when that video was shot, but the narrator did use the term, "back in the day", which is not really all that "aged".  And as the car was assembled in South Bend, Indiana, I don't see why an American produced video about it would use European or British terms in reference to the materials used in it's assembly. But I'mdoubtful that the polyester used in the Avanti body was the same as used to make Travolta's suit.  ;)   Can't imagine a car made of cloth, just as THESE were once made from.....

Isn't fibreglass a resin impregnated fabric?  Can't you resin-impregnate polyester? 

• Like 1