Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hangover Square on tonight Sept. 1st.

RainingViolets101

Please watch this at 8'o'clock if only for Laird Cregar's final performance. He never got

to see this film because he died right after at the young age of 28. This is the story of a

composer who has a trauma brought on by sharp noise. With Cregar is Linda Darnell

in all her 21 year old lovliness as Netta who becomes the object of Cregars affection.

Matching them every step of the way is George Sanders and the brilliant Bernard Herrmann

score...make some popcorn and ENJOY!

P.S. the films opening shot is a doozy thanks to cinematographer Joseph LeShalle

I've only seen it once, a very long time ago - and it was very entertaining. I second your recommendation. I love watching Cregar freak out. Hard to believe he was so young when he died - he always looked much older, probably because of the weight.

My DVR is fired up and ready.

rainingviolets - I made sure to watch this also, having seen *The Lodger* last week. There have been Laird Cregar discussions in the past, however, I was not familiar with him. Now I am. Characters like his in *Hangover Square* always seem to have unfortunate names - "George Harvey Bone". I couldn't believe how big his eyes got when he was having one of his spells. I will be looking for more of his films.

I finally had the chance to watch this - got to watch the Fox DVD, even though I also recorded it off TCM. It's a very good performance by Cregar, of course, though I personally found him even more impressive in The Lodger. But they're both very good performances. I guess it's also a bit disorienting to notice Cregar's weight loss, which reportedly was one of the factors in his premature death.

That cute kitty in Hangover Square also stole my heart! :x

For those of you who might have the opportunity to check out the movie on DVD, don't miss the little mini-feature with biographical information about Cregar, it's very touching and really moving, because it's hard to understand what motivated him to want to move away from "bad guy" parts until you hear it from those who know more about what he went through during his short-lived Hollywood career.

> That cute kitty in Hangover Square also stole my heart!

To borrow from the "Favorite Line From a Movie" thread, when I saw Cregar's eyes go wide looking at the cat hiding under the piano, I immediately said out loud, "Oh George, not the livestock" (Tim Blake Nelson - "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?")