Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

a theft from the people

3 minutes ago, ElCid said:

But they represent each state, not the 50 states as a whole.  What about having the whole nation vote on the senators for each state?

I think that could solve a lot of problems. No more southern senators blocking legislation....

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

The Republican Party can cheat and connive and connive and  cheat and gerrymander their way for only so long.

Their day is over--

the demographics don't favor them and

they don't favor the demographics.;)

I wouldn't say their day is over.  They will have control of the US Senate and the Supreme Court.  They control more state governments and will determine the districts for next 10 years in those states.  As for gerrymandering, both parties have done it in the past and will continue to do so.

It is still 50 states plus territories and DC.  There is also the issue of getting people out to vote.  Dems were fairly successful this time, but their core supporters tend to not vote in non-presidential election years.  Whereas, the GOPers get their people to vote.

4 minutes ago, ElCid said:

But, there was no prohibition in the Constitution to having a black president.  The EC is firmly established in the Constitution and would require an amendment to the Constitution.

Well the Constitution has been amended quite a few times....

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think that could solve a lot of problems. No more southern senators blocking legislation....

Of course the two senators per state would have to come from those states, so they still might block legislation.  Northern, Western, Eastern and whatever senators have also done well at blocking legislation.

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Maybe some. I would say there are more Dem voters in favor of abolishing it.

Not enough.

12 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Will Pennsylvania make Joe Biden President-elect of the United States, possibly as early as today?

Say tuned . . .

trump-cry.jpg

"Somebody get me a lawyer!"

ROFL! Looking forward to NOT seeing this ugly face on tv every day!

Yeah, time to get rid of the undemocratic EC. Another advantage would be one wouldn't have to have one's

eyes glaze over by someone looking every ten minutes at the same counties in two or three swing states for

days on end. Zzzzzzzz.

• Thanks 1

I live in a state that holds 10% of the U.S. population. Do you really want to give us that much influence on presidential elections ?

There's a battleship parked about 6 blocks from my home. In 2016, Bernie was there giving a speech and raising money because this is a union town. trump was also there weeks later to raise money because there are wealthy people up on the hill above me.

Change the system and it will be a parade of wannabe contenders pandering for votes. Let them stay in Iowa and those other places. I like that we're one big 55 vote monolith.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I live in a state that holds 10% of the U.S. population. Do you really want to give us that much influence on presidential elections ?

There's a battleship parked about 6 blocks from my home. In 2016, Bernie was there giving a speech and raising money because this is a union town. trump was also there weeks later to raise money because there are wealthy people up on the hill above me.

Change the system and it will be a parade of wannabe contenders pandering for votes. Let them stay in Iowa and those other places. I like that we're one big 55 vote monolith.

That is the problem.  Others have pointed out in the past that eliminating the Electoral College would mean the presidential contenders would focus on 5or 6 states and ignore the rest.  That may be a stretch since the big states could go 50/50 or similar in their votes, but not likely.  The EC keeps it a national election.

I found it ironic that WI has only 10 votes as I always think of it as much more populated.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Will Pennsylvania make Joe Biden President-elect of the United States, possibly as early as today?

Say tuned . . .

trump-cry.jpg

"Somebody get me a lawyer!"...watching the news out of philly this ,orning some woman said a lot of votes won't even be counted until friday. :angry:

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

I wouldn't say their day is over.  They will have control of the US Senate and the Supreme Court.  They control more state governments and will determine the districts for next 10 years in those states.  As for gerrymandering, both parties have done it in the past and will continue to do so.

It is still 50 states plus territories and DC.  There is also the issue of getting people out to vote.  Dems were fairly successful this time, but their core supporters tend to not vote in non-presidential election years.  Whereas, the GOPers get their people to vote.

It will take some time, but I see it happening. Young people are not drawn to the GOP. It's an old white man's party. Eventually their power base will die out.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, time to get rid of the undemocratic EC. Another advantage would be one wouldn't have to have one's

eyes glaze over by someone looking every ten minutes at the same counties in two or three swing states for

days on end. Zzzzzzzz.

TELL ME!!! I've had a lifetime exposure to Steve Kornacki. He looks like he shops at K Mart for clothes.

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

It will take some time, but I see it happening. Young people are not drawn to the GOP. It's an old white man's party. Eventually their power base will die out.

yeah but the problem is it isn't just the GOP's old white men who wanna stick with the EC.

the state house in california is chock full of liberal democrat idiots who want to hang on to it.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

TELL ME!!! I've had a lifetime exposure to Steve Kornacki. He looks like he shops at K Mart for clothes.

Good one. They've got to sell to someone to keep from going bankrupt. I usually watch John King on CNN. He

wears suits, but nothing that would get him into GQ. I put the TV on around 2 pm and it was the same electoral

vote totals from last night. I like John King. He keeps things on an even keel with the necessary caveats about

jumping too far ahead of the actual numbers. He even gets a good joke off every once in a while. I don't watch

Anderson Cooper that often, but he seems to be prone to be tongue tied fairly often.

I'm hesitant to count out either political party, because they've been declared on the way out after they suffer

a really bad electoral defeat. The GOP probably has a more fraught future, but they may find a way to change

things around the edges and they still have a solid base, at least for the next few years. But the demographics

are gradually turning bad for them. Ain't that a damn shame?

24 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Good one. They've got to sell to someone to keep from going bankrupt. I usually watch John King on CNN. He

wears suits, but nothing that would get him into GQ. I put the TV on around 2 pm and it was the same electoral

vote totals from last night. I like John King. He keeps things on an even keel with the necessary caveats about

jumping too far ahead of the actual numbers. He even gets a good joke off every once in a while. I don't watch

Anderson Cooper that often, but he seems to be prone to be tongue tied fairly often.

I'm hesitant to count out either political party, because they've been declared on the way out after they suffer

a really bad electoral defeat. The GOP probably has a more fraught future, but they may find a way to change

things around the edges and they still have a solid base, at least for the next few years. But the demographics

are gradually turning bad for them. Ain't that a damn shame?

Yeah, a damn shame. Agree John King is more professional, but I'm burned out on all the tallying whoever is doing it.

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

So they go to another state to pander. What difference does it make? Even with the college, they still concentrate on the same dozen states every year.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, a damn shame. Agree John King is more professional, but I'm burned out on all the tallying whoever is doing it.

Especially when things move so slowly, which may be nobody's particular fault, but it's darn frustrating. 

I was just over to yahoo and they've given Arizona to Biden. Donny's path is getting very narrow. It'll be

fun to watch that big bloated fool twisting slowly in the wind, as they used to say during Watergate. Then

going ballistic when it finally dawns on him that he's lost. 

7 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

If the Republicans had put a man in the White House who was qualified to be in the White House in the first place and who wasn't an  "all out in your face" racist and " a self identified " sexist molester--

then maybe he would have had a good chance of being re-elected.

The Republicans put a man like that in the Oval Office because they promote their own self-interest over those of the American people--

Showing that they have no respect for a majority of the American people who happen NOT to be white males.

I don't see a point in insulting or bashing Trump (though he has done that to others).

Financially I benefited during his presidency and I cannot deny or overlook that. 2019 was my best money year since 2013. And I've already earned more money this year than last year and 2020 is not over. There are still another 7 weeks of earning.

I live in Arizona (I live in Phoenix) and a lot of the hispanics I know voted Democrat yesterday...but four years ago they voted for Trump. I think somewhere along the way Trump went from being the ideal of the American dream to being a person that minorities started to hate.

The Republican party needs someone who is not so divisive. The party won't survive otherwise.

Incidentally I am a Caucasian male (Irish/German/Slovanian ancestry) but I find it interesting that our only choices for president this year are white men. We do not have diverse choices.

Re the whole Electoral College thing here. Folks, you gotta watch this funny video about it done in an old classroom aud/vid film style and which was broadcast on Colbert's show last night...

• Thanks 1