Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The History of Blood in Film

so, I was watching THE VAMPIRE BAT (1933) last night, and there is a brief shot of a large jar filling up with blood that the MAD SCIENTIST is siphoning from his victim, and it led me to think:

HOW MANY INSTANCES ARE THERE WHERE WE ACTUALLY SEE BLOOD IN MOVIES, [American or otherwise] FROM 1929 (OR EARLIER) UP UNTIL THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)- WHICH, FOR ME, IS THE FIRST INSTANCE OF REALLY GRAPHIC BLOODLETTING ON SCREEN WHEN THE MONSTER'S EYE IS SHOT OUT??

36 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY BLOOD SEEN ONSCREEN IN ANY of the other universal horrors though- from FRANKENSTEIN on through ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET...

In The Mummy (1932) there is a graphic scene where some slaves are killed with spears, we  see the spear run through and quite a bit of blood.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AND i DON'T RECALL (oops, caps lock) seeing blood in any GANGSTER MOVIES EITHER- SCARFACE, LITTLE CASAR, etc...

although I often remember incorrrectly.

:D  Yeah, amazing how bullet proof those camel hair trench coats seemed to be, eh?  ;)  Shot with a Tommy gun and no bullet holes.  OR blood!  :o

No even-------

Sepiatone

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  Yeah, amazing how bullet proof those camel hair trench coats seemed to be, eh?  ;)  Shot with a Tommy gun and no bullet holes.  OR blood!  :o

No even-------

and to me, that is very irresponsible. children watching would legit think you just BANG BANG and someone hits the ground, no blood. like playing a game almost.

39 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't think there's any blood in Shane, but I think there's a scene where Jack Palance shoots a guy, and he flies back about a foot, one of the first indications in a Western of the impact of gun violence on an individual.

For me this is one of the most famous western shooting scenes of all time:

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Re: "Why Is Chocolate the Best Fake Blood?"

The PSYCHO chocolate syrup ran for years at Universal Studios.

image.jpeg.4c35978d7da82e77fd44e87bedfb94b3.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't think there's any blood in Shane, but I think there's a scene where Jack Palance shoots a guy, and he flies back about a foot, one of the first indications in a Western of the impact of gun violence on an individual.

If Palance's gun actually had that much kick to it, he should have flown back the same distance in the opposite direction.

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

If Palance's gun actually had that much kick to it, he should have flown back the same distance in the opposite direction.

So true.

"He (Stevens) had the two principal shooting victims—Palance and Elisha Cook Jr.—rigged with hidden wires that jerked them violently backward when shot. These innovations, according to film historian Jay Hyams, marked the beginning of graphic violence in Western movies. He quotes Sam Peckinpah: "When Jack Palance shot Elisha Cook Jr. in Shane, things started to change.".

• Thanks 1

Didn't Shane get into a hellacious fistfight that left him bleeding from the mouth? I also think Jean

Arthur attended to his injuries. If I recall it correctly, Joe Buck, mad at all the robocalls he was

getting, ground the telephone into John McIver's mouth so hard that it drew blood. 

• Thanks 2

D.W. Griffith's "Intolerance" had some pretty shocking violence for the era during the scenes where the Persians are attacking Babylon.  A guy gets his head lopped off, and I seem to remember instances of people getting skewered by spears.

Here's some obscure trivia for you: 1950s Polish film "A Generation" is believed to be the first film to use squibs to simulate gunshots.

• Thanks 2
23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

and to me, that is very irresponsible. children watching would legit think you just BANG BANG and someone hits the ground, no blood. like playing a game almost.

Well, based on what me and most of my friends back then thought of it all, I'd say nobody really thought there'd be no blood or real pain if shot by a real gun with real bullets.   But subsequent generations somehow needed television disclaimers to tell them the stuff the three stooges did on film might really hurt someone if they tried it for real.  :rolleyes:  

Sepiatone

• Like 1