Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which actor gave the best performance as President of the U.S.

Hello,

While we bite our nails, I thought this topic would be appropriate.

My top 3:

Daniel Day Lewis - Lincoln (2012)

Charlton Heston - The Buccaneers (1958)

Bruce Greenwood - 13 Days ( 2000)

I'm sure that Anthony Hopkins (Nixon) and the film W and Nixon/Frost were good, I just did not care to go to see them.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

The wonderful JOHN ADAMS miniseries -- obviously Paul Giamatti is incredible in the title role, as is future president Jefferson who also shows up, but I still can't believe the guy playing George Washington-- he looks like the dang painting come to life! :o

John-Adams-George-Washington-john-adams-

Although my favorite John Adams is still Anthony Daniels from 1776 :)

tenor.gif?itemid=5389964

A fictional president I love, even though it's a dumb movie, is Morgan Freeman in DEEP IMPACT -- I would vote for this character in five seconds!

deep_impact_president_speech_morgan_free

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

I'm sure that Anthony Hopkins (Nixon) and the film W and Nixon/Frost were good, I just did not care to go to see them.

Just wanted to share a clip of FROST/NIXON for you to see what a great job Frank Langella does (you'll see it instantly, no need to watch the whole movie) :)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

It was a caricature, but I liked Donald Moffatt as LBJ in The Right Stuff. Also, Woody Guthrie was good in a more sympathetic, serious portrayal in Rob Reiner's  LBJ.

Darn, I clicked on the thread to mention Moffatt.  😖   (Although that was Woody Harrelson in the Reiner film, as this land was made for you and me.)

And Robert Beer briefly in The Right Stuff as a convincing Dwight Eisenhower.

Did Gerald R. Ford ever get his onscreen due?  Er, yes, actually:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

And the question of who was the better JFK:
William Devane in "The Missiles of October", or Bruce Greenwood in Thirteen Days (2000)

(I'm more with Devane, IMO, but...)

Devane nailed it.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

although a liberal movie...

Fredric March as Jordan Lyman.

Seven Days in May (1964) - Photo Gallery - IMDb

Some of the best think pieces are movies made by liberals.

March is also good in INHERIT THE WIND where he is poking fun at those who espouse creationism instead of evolution, by giving an over the top performance of a "believer."

• Like 1

I  enjoyed  the  tv  mini  series  Abraham  Lincoln in  1988.  Sam Waterston  gave  a  good  performance  as  Lincoln.  Mary Tyler Moore  played his  wife Mary Todd  Lincoln  and  Robert  Mulligan  role  was  William  Seward.

• Like 1

Some Canadians who have played U.S. Presidents ...

Raymond Massey, Walter Huston, Alexander Knox, Bruce Greenwood, Gordon Pinsent, William Shatner, Glenn Ford, Christopher Plummer and Leslie Nielsen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Some Canadians who have played U.S. Presidents ...

Raymond Massey, Walter Huston, Alexander Knox, Bruce Greenwood, Gordon Pinsent, William Shatner, Glenn Ford, Christopher Plummer and Leslie Nielsen.

And they were ALL more Presidential than you-know-who.

Ralph Bellamy gained my respect as a really good actor when I saw him in the aforementioned SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO '60. Until then, I thought he was just a fluff actor.

Langella is another fave actor, he always gives 100% and is wholly believable & riveting no matter how loathsome or badly costumed the charactor he's portraying.

• Like 2