Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I should probably say while most people on here seem to have quickly embraced the new schedule and its starting of a new day with the passing of the midnight hour, I'm still starting my listing of new "days" around here the old school way, with the ending of the night-time theme, which is usually around 6 am ET. Just in case people think I don't know when a day starts.

I am hesitant to second-guess MCOH, whose knowledge is clearly vast, when he lists the primetime theme for January 3 as "Man Overboard", but since I don't remember anyone going overboard in I Love You Again, my guess for the theme is amnesia romances.

I Love You Again (William Powell, Myrna Loy) (MGM, 1940)
Overboard (Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell) (MGM, 1987)

Looks like the first movie for the Silent Sunday night lineup has yet to be announced, but second will be The Smiling Madame de Beudet, a French film from 1923

Then, it's TCM imports. It's a Pedro Almodovar double feature: Pepi, Luci, Bom and Other Girls Like Mom (1985) and Labyrinth of Passion (1982), 

17 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I should probably say while most people on here seem to have quickly embraced the new schedule and its starting of a new day with the passing of the midnight hour, I'm still starting my listing of new "days" around here the old school way, with the ending of the night-time theme, which is usually around 6 am ET. Just in case people think I don't know when a day starts.

I am hesitant to second-guess MCOH, whose knowledge is clearly vast, when he lists the primetime theme for January 3 as "Man Overboard", but since I don't remember anyone going overboard in I Love You Again, my guess for the theme is amnesia romances.

I also had a slight "issue" with the Man Overboard label since we technically have Woman Overboard in the Goldie Hawn flick. Amnesia romances seems more accurate.

But MovieCollector has done a brilliant job providing all this new schedule information for us! :) 

• Like 1

Should have listed the French film The Red Balloon (1956) among the previous day's TCM Imports, I guess. It's airing at 5:15 am ET.

Now on to the daytime movies for January 4. MCOH calls the theme "The Bachelor Life", and they do appear to all revolve around committed bachelors (these being romantic comedies, who wants to take odds on how many of these bachelors are married or engaged by film's end?). A couple of them are more about bachelorettes or spinsters, but okay.

No More Ladies (Joan Crawford, Robert Montgomery) (MGM, 1935)
Bachelor Mother (Ginger Rogers, David Niven) (RKO, 1939)
The Bachelor & the Bobby-Soxer (Cary Grant, Myrna Loy) (RKO, 1947)
Every Girl Should Be Married (Cary Grant, Betsy Drake) (RKO, 1948)
The Tender Trap (Frank Sinatra, Debbie Reynolds) (MGM, 1955)
Boys' Night Out (Kim Novak, James Garner) (MGM, 1962)
Honeymoon Hotel (Robert Goulet, Nancy Kwan) (MGM, 1964)
Dear Heart (Glenn Ford, Geraldine Page) (Warner Bros., 1964)

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Should have listed the French film The Red Balloon (1956) among the previous day's TCM Imports, I guess. It's airing at 5:15 am ET.

Now on to the daytime movies for January 4. MCOH calls the theme "The Bachelor Life", and they do appear to all revolve around committed bachelors (these being romantic comedies, who wants to take odds on how many of these bachelors are married or engaged by film's end?). A couple of them are more about bachelorettes or spinsters, but okay.

No More Ladies (Joan Crawford, Robert Montgomery) (MGM, 1935)
Bachelor Mother (Ginger Rogers, David Niven) (RKO, 1939)
The Bachelor & the Bobby-Soxer (Cary Grant, Myrna Loy) (RKO, 1947)
Every Girl Should Be Married (Cary Grant, Betsy Drake) (RKO, 1948)
The Tender Trap (Frank Sinatra, Debbie Reynolds) (MGM, 1955)
Boys' Night Out (Kim Novak, James Garner) (MGM, 1962)
Dear Heart (Glenn Ford, Geraldine Page) (Warner Bros., 1964)

Just to clarify so that people don't get the wrong impression, MCOH isn't making up the themes.  That comes directly from the TCM data files (which for some reason, in their new format, they decline to show us in their new schedule format).

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Just to clarify so that people don't get the wrong impression, MCOH isn't making up the themes.  That comes directly from the TCM data files (which for some reason, in their new format, they decline to show us in their new schedule format).

So TCM's programmers are calling the primetime theme for January 3 "Man Overboard" which includes the Goldie Hawn flick?

Sorry if I  misunderstood. I saw JamesJazzGuitar ask MCOH if he was going to fill in future themes later, which made me automatically assume he(?)'d filled in the ones already. I won't second-guess any more of them if they're official TCM source (though not easily accessible to the public, apparently).

'

January 4  primetime, films produced by Alexander Korda. There's a 2019 documentary called Churchill & the Movie Mogul airing twice during the night. I presume Korda is the movie mogul. These are all British films, but I'm going to list the American distributors below, since that's typically what I look for. Also, the years of their American releases. I can't find any information on imdb about an American release for Wedding Rehearsal. Maybe it didn't get one. So, I'm just listing its UK info.

The Private Life of Henry VIII (Charles Laughton, Robert Donat) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1933)
Wedding Rehearsal (Roland Young, George Grossmith) (Ideal Films, UK, 1933)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1935)
The Conquest of the Air (Frederick Culley, Laurence Olivier) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1940)
The Lion Has Wings (Merle Oberon, Ralph Richardson) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1940)
That Hamilton Woman (Vivien Leigh, Laurence Olivier) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1941)

29 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sorry if I  misunderstood. I saw JamesJazzGuitar ask MCOH if he was going to fill in future themes later, which made me automatically assume he(?)'d filled in the ones already. I won't second-guess any more of them if they're official TCM source (though not easily accessible to the public, apparently).

'

He did say he'd fill them in as TCM adds them.  Here's what he said earlier in the thread:

It's all there to begin with though, I'm just going the last mile and dumping it to a user-friendly web page.  I thought some semblance of normalcy might be good.

--and--

Whatever they plug into it will show up soon afterwards or maybe later in the day.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Looks like the first movie for the Silent Sunday night lineup has yet to be announced, but second will be The Smiling Madame de Beudet, a French film from 1923

Then, it's TCM imports. It's a Pedro Almodovar double feature: Pepi, Luci, Bom and Other Girls Like Mom (1985) and Labyrinth of Passion (1982), 

Haven't seen I Love You Again, but this is from a user review on IMDb; maybe it will jog your memory...

William Powell & Myrna Loy team up in a non-Thin Man romantic comedy involving amnesia & oil schemes set in a Pennsylvania town. Powell, returning from a holiday cruise, tries to rescue a drunk who's fallen overboard & finds he's lost his memory after someone conks him over the noggin w/an oar. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

William Powell & Myrna Loy team up in a non-Thin Man romantic comedy involving amnesia & oil schemes set in a Pennsylvania town. Powell, returning from a holiday cruise, tries to rescue a drunk who's fallen overboard & finds he's lost his memory after someone conks him over the noggin w/an oar. 

I've seen it, but I guess I forgot that part.

4 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I've seen it, but I guess I forgot that part. Maybe someone hit me with an oar!

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I also had a slight "issue" with the Man Overboard label since we technically have Woman Overboard in the Goldie Hawn flick. Amnesia romances seems more accurate.

But MovieCollector has done a brilliant job providing all this new schedule information for us! :) 

Top, i don't quite get it about the still sexy at age 75 yr old GOLDIOE'S 1987 fun, but not great comedy OVERBOARD (**1/2)???

1 minute ago, spence said:

Top, i don't quite get it about the still sexy at age 75 yr old GOLDIE'S 1987 fun, but not great comedy OVERBOARD (**1/2)???

& on the topic of GOLDIE (most people4 are taken back when first meeting her due top her height as being 5'8 same goes for MEG RYAN)

January 5 The Studio System

Possibly this is a theme for every Tuesday in January? I'm too lazy to look ahead. Looks like they're devoting a block of time to a single Hollywood studio. I certainly hope in future installments there will be time blocks set aside for Paramount, Universal and 20th Century Fox, but we'll see. Anyway, for this particular day:

Daytime COLUMBIA

I don't guess I need to say "Columbia" after each film below, so I wont':

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur) (1936)
His Girl Friday (Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell) (1940)
Gilda (Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford) (1946)
It Should Happen to You (Judy Holliday, Jack Lemmon) (1953)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (William Holden, Alec Guiness) (1957)

Primetime WARNER BROS.

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn, Olivia De Havilland) (1938)
Dark Victory (Bette Davis, George Brent) (1939)
The Maltese Falcon (Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor) (1941)
The Sea Wolf (Edward G. Robinson, John Garfield) (1941)
White Heat (James Cagney, Edmond O'Brien) (1949)

January 6 Daytime Freddie Bartholomew

Anna Karenina (Greta Garbo, Frederic March) (MGM, 1935)
David Copperfield (Freddie Bartholomew, W.C. Fields) (MGM, 1935)
The Devil is a Sissy (Freddie Bartholomew, Jackie Cooper) (MGM, 1936)
Little Lord Fauntleroy (Freddie Bartholomew, C. Aubrey Smith) (MGM, 1936)
Captains Courageous (Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew) (MGM, 1937)
Lord Jeff (Freddie Bartholomew, Mickey Rooney) (MGM, 1938)
Listen, Darling (Judy Garland, Freddie Bartholomew) (MGM, 1938)
A Yank at Eaton (Mickey Rooney, Freddie Bartholomew) (MGM, 1942)

31 minutes ago, spence said:

Top, i don't quite get it about the still sexy at age 75 yr old GOLDIOE'S 1987 fun, but not great comedy OVERBOARD (**1/2)???

What don't you get, Spence?

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

January 6 Daytime Freddie Bartholomew

Anna Karenina (Greta Garbo, Frederic March) (MGM, 1935)
David Copperfield (Freddie Bartholomew, W.C. Fields) (MGM, 1935)
The Devil is a Sissy (Freddie Bartholomew, Jackie Cooper) (MGM, 1936)
Little Lord Fauntleroy (Freddie Bartholomew, C. Aubrey Smith) (MGM, 1936)
Captains Courageous (Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew) (MGM, 1937)
Lord Jeff (Freddie Bartholomew, Mickey Rooney) (MGM, 1938)
Listen, Darling (Judy Garland, Freddie Bartholomew) (MGM, 1938)
A Yank at Eaton (Mickey Rooney, Freddie Bartholomew) (MGM, 1942)

I love this line-up. I've always been a fan of Freddie. He later became known as a producer of soap operas for Procter & Gamble. On YouTube, you can see he's credited on episodes of Search for Tomorrow as Executive Producer Fred Bartholomew.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

January 4  primetime, films produced by Alexander Korda. There's a 2019 documentary called Churchill & the Movie Mogul airing twice during the night. I presume Korda is the movie mogul. These are all British films, but I'm going to list the American distributors below, since that's typically what I look for. Also, the years of their American releases. I can't find any information on imdb about an American release for Wedding Rehearsal. Maybe it didn't get one. So, I'm just listing its UK info.

The Private Life of Henry VIII (Charles Laughton, Robert Donat) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1933)
Wedding Rehearsal (Roland Young, George Grossmith) (Ideal Films, UK, 1933)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1935)
The Conquest of the Air (Frederick Culley, Laurence Olivier) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1940)
The Lion Has Wings (Merle Oberon, Ralph Richardson) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1940)
That Hamilton Woman (Vivien Leigh, Laurence Olivier) (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1941)

WEDDING REHEARSAL is a fine rom-com with a stellar cast. A very young Merle Oberon is one of Roland Young's beautiful costars.

It was released on disc by the folks at Criterion a few years ago. I'm glad TCM has decided to broadcast it.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

He did say he'd fill them in as TCM adds them.  Here's what he said earlier in the thread:

It's all there to begin with though, I'm just going the last mile and dumping it to a user-friendly web page.  I thought some semblance of normalcy might be good.

--and--

Whatever they plug into it will show up soon afterwards or maybe later in the day.

Correct. 

To all - thanks but I have zero input on these schedules.  Nada.  Zilch.   I am not filling anything in.  Period.

When I decide to refresh my web page, all the new changes made since the last refresh will show up.  It is really a simple concept.  Unlike my database project which requires about an hour and a half of my time once a month for me to update, this schedule project will ultimately run in the background and update itself each day.

I'm glad to see the interest.

• Like 2

Primetime January 6 Whodunit Wednesdays?

I assume this is a recurring theme every Wednesday this month.

The Honey Pot (Rex Harrison, Susan Heyward) (United Artists, 1967)
The Last of Sheila
 (Richard Benjamin,  James Coburn) (Warner Bros., 1973)
Death on the Nile (Peter Ustinov, Mia Farrow) (Paramount, 1978)
Evil Under the Sun (Peter Ustinov, James Mason) (Universal, 1982)
Deathtrap (Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve) (Warner Bros., 1982)
Manhattan Murder Mystery (Woody Allen, Diane Keaton) (Tri-Star, 1993)

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

So TCM's programmers are calling the primetime theme for January 3 "Man Overboard" which includes the Goldie Hawn flick?

How about "thrown overboard"...by just taking the gender out of it? (not familiar with movies listed)

- and thanks for the heads up on WEDDING REHERSAL-that's what I look to these "___schedule is up" threads for- opinions of movies I know nothing about.

I'm a Yvonne DeCarlo fan & have all the ones listed except BAND OF ANGELS. Any opinions of that one? Most likely I'll record MUNSTER GO HOME & toss my  Svengoolie version. Also love, love, love Miriam Hopkins, she's so evil. I hope TCM shows something new (to me at least)

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

How about "thrown overboard"...by just taking the gender out of it? (not familiar with movies listed)

- and thanks for the heads up on WEDDING REHERSAL-that's what I look to these "___schedule is up" threads for- opinions of movies I know nothing about.

I'm a Yvonne DeCarlo fan & have all the ones listed except BAND OF ANGELS. Any opinions of that one? Most likely I'll record MUNSTER GO HOME & toss my  Svengoolie version. Also love, love, love Miriam Hopkins, she's so evil. I hope TCM shows something new (to me at least)

Yeah, thrown overboard or going overboard, both would sound better and be less gender specific.

You'll like WEDDING REHEARSAL. It's an enjoyable piece of fluff.

BAND OF ANGELS was offered to Yvonne De Carlo after her triumph in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. She was also offered a role in another big "A" film at the time but she took BAND OF ANGELS for the chance to work with Clark Gable. It succeeded at the box office but not with critics who unfavorably compared Gable's character in this one with Rhett Butler from 1939. Like GWTW, BAND OF ANGELS takes place on a southern plantation. But the story is more along the lines of RAINTREE COUNTY because like Liz Taylor's character in that one, Yvonne plays a "white" woman who learns she is really mixed heritage and has some "black" in her. Sidney Poitier costars.

Even if the plot is not your cup of tea, Yvonne never looked more gorgeous. And Warners spared no expense so the sets are quite lavish. It's worth watching at least once.