Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

January 27 Daytime 100th Birthday Tribute Donna Reed

Shadow of the Thin Man (William Powell, Myrna Loy) (MGM, 1941)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Hurd Hatfield, Angela Lansbury) (MGM, 1945)
Faithful in My Fashion (Donna Reed, Tom Drake) (MGM, 1946)
Green Dolphin Street (Lana Turner, Van Heflin) (MGM, 1947)
Trouble Along the Way (John Wayne, Donna Reed) (Warner Bros., 1953)
The Last Time I Saw Paris (Elizabeth Taylor, Van Johnson) (MGM, 1954)
Ransom! (Glenn Ford, Donna Reed) (MGM, 1956)

28 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

That would be great. I sort of feel like maybe the number of Fox films airing on TCM has maybe decreased slightly after the Disney takeover. But that's an opinion based on feel, not any actual data.

I don't know if I would make that leap yet since most (if not all?) of these Fox films have been shown on TCM before (and fairly recently if memory serves me).     I.e. this could just be another limited lease like the one that TCM had before for these films.

But yes,  we can hope! 

• Thanks 1

I continue to be disappointed that The Dead (1987), which takes place at an Epiphany dinner party in Dublin on January 6, 1904, has not been scheduled to be shown on January 6, 2020. Maybe next year.

eir7pz5.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

January 27 Primetime. The last night of Whodunit Wednesdays? I think tonight is all famous detectives from literature.  Green for Danger is a personal favorite of mine.

The Kennel Murder Case (William Powell, Mary Astor) (Warner Bros., 1933)
Case of the Lucky Legs (Warren William, Genevieve Tobin) (Warner Bros., 1935)
After the Thin Man (William Powell, Myrna Loy) (MGM, 1936)
Bulldog Drummond Escapes (Ray Milland, Guy Standing) (Paramount, 1937)
The Saint Strikes Back (George Sanders, Wendy Barrie) (RKO, 1939)
The Woman in Green (Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce) (Universal, 1945)
Green for  Danger (Alistair Sim, Sally Gray) (Dist. in the US by Eagle-Lion, 1947)

• Like 1

January 28 Daytime. First, Alan Ladd Westerns

The Iron Mistress (Alan Ladd, Virginia Mayo) (Warner Bros., 1952)
Drum Beat (Alan Ladd, Audrey Dalton) (Warner Bros., 1954)
The Badlanders (Alan Ladd, Ernest Borgnine) (MGM, 1958)
Guns of the Timberland (Alan Ladd, Jeanne Crain) (Warner Bros., 1960)

Followed by Randolph Scott Westerns (Everybody doff your hats and sing "Rannn-dolph Scottt!")

Badman's Territory (Randolph Scott, Ann Richards) (RKO, 1946)
Canadian Pacific (Randolph Scott, Jane Wyatt) (20th Century Fox, 1949)
Carson City (Randolph Scott, Lucille Norman) (Warner Bros., 1952)

A huge thanks to MovieCollectorOH and sewhite2000 for providing us with this sneak preview (including all themes!) of January, 2020.  Really needed that "fix." Love the January themes of Studio System and Whodunit Wednesday with a couple of What A Characters thrown in there, too.  SOTM Miriam Hopkins is a great pick.  (Bette Davis must be spinning in her grave.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully finish this today.

January 28 Primetime. The last night of Miriam Hopkins' Star of the Month run.

The Heiress (Olivia De Havilland, Montgomery Clift) (Paramount, 1949)
The Children's Hour (Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine) (United Artists, 1961)
The Chase (Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda) (Columbia, 1966)

And then we round out the night with a couple of movies about mail-order brides out in the West:

Mail Order Bride (Buddy Ebsen, Keir Dullea) (MGM, 1964)
Zandy's Bride (Gene Hackman, Liv Ullman) (Warner Bros, 1974)

• Like 2

Daytime January 29 Young Adventurers. The schedule is full of repeats. Captains Courageous already aired on Freddie Bartholomew day. Treasure Island aired, I think, the first Saturday morning of the month. Jungle Book also aired previously, though I forget when. They become the fifth, sixth and seventh non-Noir Alley movies to air twice in January.

That leaves us with:

Adventure Girl (Joan Lowell, Ula Holt) (RKO, 1934)
The Yearling (Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman) (MGM, 1946)
Bomba the Jungle Boy (Johnny Sheffield, Peggy Ann Garner) (Monogram, 1949)
Lord of the Flies (Dist. in the US by Continental, 1963)
Zebra in the Kitchen (Jay North, Martin Milner) (MGM, 1965)

Primetime January 29 Laurence Harvey. Apologies to the person on here who calls him He Who Must Not Be Named. I've forgotten who that was.

Butterfield 8 (Elizabeth Taylor, Laurence Harvey) (MGM, 1960)
The Manchurian Candidate (Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey) (United Artists, 1962)
Of Human Bondage (Kim Novak, Laurence Harvey) (MGM, 1964)

TCM Underground

When a Stranger Calls (Carol Kane, Charles Durning) (Columbia, 1979)
The Caller (Malcolm McDowell, Madolyn Smith) (Empire, 1987)

Then it's all short films until the next day's programming.

Daytime January 30

One more Saturday. Sorry I didn't list any of the shorts this month. They seem to be of particular interest to a lot of people on these boards, but I rarely watch them. Anyway, there are comedy shorts, travel shorts and musical shorts and another chapter of a Tarzan serial. Here are the features that are airing:

Captain Blood (Errol Flynn, Olivia De Havilland) (Warner Bros., 1935)
A Shot in the Dark (William Lundigan, Nan Wynn) (Warner Bros, 1941)
Knockout (Arthur Kennedy, Olympe Bradna) (Warner Bros., 1941)
Knights of the Round Table (Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner) (MGM, 1953)
On the Waterfront (Marlon Brando, Eva Marie Saint) (Columbia, 1954)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tony Randall, Eddie Hodges) (MGM, 1960)
Oh, God! (John Denver, George Burns) (Warner Bros., 1977)

Primetime January 30 Small Town Musicals Double Feature

Small Town Girl (Jane Powell, Farley Granger) (MGM, 1953)
The Music Man (Robert Preston, Shirley Jones) (Warner Bros., 1962)

Noir Alley. Wow, the '64 version, with Ronald Reagan, I believe in his final movie role.

The Killers (Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson) (Universal, 1964)

Not sure if the overnight films have some connecting theme, other than they're both '70s thrillers.

The Carey Treatment (James Coburn, Jennifer O'Neill) (MGM, 1972)
The Late Show (Art Carney, Lily Tomlin) (Warner Bros., 1977)

Daytime January 31

No-theme Sunday

Gabriel over the White House (Walter Huston, Karen Morley) (MGM, 1933)
Hold Back the Dawn (Charles Boyer, Olivia De Havilland) (Paramount, 1941)

Then a repeat of the previous night's Noir Alley.

Then:

I Married a Witch (Frederic March, Veronica Lake) (United Artists, 1942)
The Red Badge of Courage (Audie Murphy, Bill Maudlin) (MGM, 1951)
From Here to Eternity (Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift) (Columbia, 1953)
My Fair Lady (Rex Harrison, Audrrey Hepburn) (Warner Bros., 1964)

Primetime January 31 Cicely Tyson Double Feature

A Man Called Adam (Sammy Davis, Jr., Louis Armstrong) (Embassy, 1966)
Sounder (Cicely Tyson, Paul Winfield) (20th Century Fox, 1972)

Silent Sundays:

The Battleship Potemkin (Alexsandr Antonov, Vladimir Barskly)  (Dist. in the US by Amkino Corp., 1926)

TCM Imports

Two more Almodovar films: Live Flesh (1997) and All about My Mother (1999)

• Thanks 1
On 11/10/2020 at 1:12 PM, sewhite2000 said:

January 25 Primetime Yvonne DeCarlo

I think TopBilled already went over these, but for the sake of being complete:

Criss Cross (Burt Lancaster, Yvonne DeCarlo) (Universal, 1949)
Tonight's the Night (David Niven, Yvonne DeCarlo) (Dist. in the US by Allied Artists, 1954)
Death of a Scoundrel (George Sanders, Yvonne DeCarlo) (RKO, 1956)
Band of Angels (Clark Gable, Yvonne DeCarlo) (Warner Bros., 1957)
Munster, Go Home! (Fred Gwynne, Yvonne DeCarlo) (Universal, 1966)

Thanks for mentioning TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT. Since I forgot to mention that one earlier.

It's a very nicely made Irish comedy-drama, in Technicolor, by Allied Artists of all studios. Yvonne is paired with David Niven and Barry Fitzgerald. There are some good Irish actors in supporting roles. It looks and feels like something John Ford would have done. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Okay, here is my very unofficial count of releases by studios. Most of the old majors are pretty well represented this month. The Studio System monthly theme probably boosted the numbers of the less frequently seen studios a bit. I only hope that TCM didn't blow its whole budget for out of library films this month, forcing 31 Days of Oscar to come 90% from the usual MGM/WB/RKO/UA fare. But I remain hopeful.

MGM 106
Warner Bros. 57
United Artists 38
RKO 35
Columbia 27
Paramount 23
Universal 22
20th Century Fox 12
Embassy/Allied Artists/Orion 3 each
Tri-Star/National General/Monogram 2 each
ABC/Seven Arts/Selznick International/New Line/ABC/AIP 1 each
At least 22 other films from other studios or films I couldn't find any production info for

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, here is my very unofficial count of releases by studios. Most of the old majors are pretty well represented this month. The Studio System monthly theme probably boosted the numbers of the less frequently seen studios a bit. I only hope that TCM didn't blow its whole budget for out of library films this month, forcing 31 Days of Oscar to come 90% from the usual MGM/WB/RKO/UA fare. But I remain hopeful.

MGM 106
Warner Bros. 57
United Artists 38
RKO 35
Columbia 27
Paramount 23
Universal 22
20th Century Fox 12
Embassy/Allied Artists/Orion 3 each
Tri-Star/National General/Monogram 2 each
ABC/Seven Arts/Selznick International/New Line/ABC/AIP 1 each
At least 22 other films from other studios or films I couldn't find any production info for

What time period of TCM programming is this for?   E.g. the year of 2020 to date?     

31 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Oh, sorry. That's my count for the January films.

Ok,  that makes sense.     I ball parked calculated that TCM shows around 300 plus films in a month.   (around 10 per  day).

I'm surprise that 1\3 or so are from MGM.    Star of the Month must be an MGM contract actor,  but still almost twice WB (my favorite studio)

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Star of the Month must be an MGM contract actor

This speculation got me curious, so I went back and checked, and in fact none of the Miriam Hopkins movies being shown were made at MGM! By my count, five each from Paramount and United Artists, four from Warner Bros., two from RKO and one from Columbia.

But every theme of the month is pretty heavily saturated with MGM films. And the themeless Saturdays and Sundays are also pretty heavy with them. There are also a couple of very late nights between the end of one night's theme and the next morning's theme that are filled in with MGM product. And MGM is getting twice as lengthy a block for the Studio Systems theme than any other studio.

29 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

This speculation got me curious, so I went back and checked, and in fact none of the Miriam Hopkins movies being shown were made at MGM! By my count, five each from Paramount and United Artists, four from Warner Bros., two from RKO and one from Columbia.

But every theme of the month is pretty heavily saturated with MGM films. And the themeless Saturdays and Sundays are also pretty heavy with them. There are also a couple of very late nights between the end of one night's theme and the next morning's theme that are filled in with MGM product. And MGM is getting twice as lengthy a block for the Studio Systems theme than any other studio.

Also worth noting is the fact that they are not showing Republic films for the Studio theme, and Republic Pictures made almost 1000 features (including serials) from 1935 to 1959 with many top name stars, directors and producers.

To be honest, when I look at the monthly themes, I usually marvel at how they've come up with yet another way to recycle the MGM/WB/RKO films in the Turner Library.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I clearly forgot that  waring about assuming (ha ha ).    Yea,  I forgot that Hopkins was the January SOTM.     Looks like an MGM dominated month (well 1\3 or so).

I'll have to see what Eddie is showing for Noir Alley;   MGM only has a handful of solid noirs (especially when compared to RKO,  Fox,  and WB).   If Eddie is showing a few MGM noirs,  I'm saying the fix is in!

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If Eddie is showing a few MGM noirs,  I'm saying the fix is in!

I've got nothing else to do, so I looked it up. Here's the Noir Alley lineup for January. No MGMs! Actually, three out of five are "out of library". I'm happy they give Eddie that luxury.

The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald) (Universal, 1945)

The Glass Key (Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake) (Paramount, 1942)

Witness to Murder (Barbara Stanwyck, George Sanders) (United Artists, 1954)

Born to Kill (Claire Trevor, Lawrence Tierney) (RKO, 1947)

The Killers (Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson) (Universal, 1964)

• Thanks 1

Another very unofficial count, but here is the breakdown of movies airing by decade of release in January:

1910s 1

1920s 7

1930s 90

`1940s 91

1950s 55

1960s 75

1970s 23

1980s 16

1990s 8

No movies from this millennium. Looks the '50s are a little underrepresented this month and maybe the '60s a little overrepresented, compared to most months.