these three
woman chases man
virginia city

28th of january

the heiress
the children's hour
the chase

• Like 1

I like Miriam Hopkins but sometimes I have no patience to watch her because so many of her characters grate on my nerves ( a bit like our Nov  SOTM, Shelley Winters.) 😄

• TopBilled changed the title to Miriam Hopkins as SOTM January 2021
7 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I like Miriam Hopkins but sometimes I have no patience to watch her because so many of her characters grate on my nerves ( a bit like our Nov  SOTM, Shelley Winters.)

Of course she's very memorable in her films.

I wish THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE (1933) had been included.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 12.19.41 PM

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Of course she's very memorable in her films.

I wish THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE (1933) had been included.

I was hoping for BECKY SHARP (It's an RKO film, so...)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I like Miriam Hopkins but sometimes I have no patience to watch her because so many of her characters grate on my nerves ( a bit like our Nov  SOTM, Shelley Winters.) 😄

But aren't you saying you don't like the screenplay or maybe even the original source material (book,  play) and how they were directed?    

The characters these actresses are playing are part of the storyline ,  often a major part.    That character can't be removed from the storyline.    If another actress played the part that didn't 'grate on one's nerve'  would the movie \ scene be as good?    I say no.  I.e.  it would be flat.    It would be unsatisfying.     

My point being that Hopkins and Winters nail their roles and give us what the screenwriter \ director wanted;   making the character a pain, an irritant.     

Also,  with Winter,   most of the time her character will get bumped off.    One just has to have patience and one will be rewarded! (ha ha).

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

But aren't you saying you don't like the screenplay or maybe even the original source material (book,  play) and how they were directed?    

The characters these actresses are playing are part of the storyline ,  often a major part.    That character can't be removed from the storyline.    If another actress played the part that didn't 'grate on one's nerve'  would the movie \ scene be as good?    I say no.  I.e.  it would be flat.    It would be unsatisfying.     

My point being that Hopkins and Winters nail their roles and give us what the screenwriter \ director wanted;   making the character a pain, an irritant.     

Also,  with Winter,   most of the time her character will get bumped off.    One just has to have patience and one will be rewarded! (ha ha).

My intention was to write that I lose patience with Hopkins' and Winters' characters in their films, not with the actresses themselves. I just didn't choose the correct way to express that.

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

My intention was to write that I lose patience with Hopkins' and Winters' characters in their films, not with the actresses themselves. I just didn't choose the correct way to express that.

My point was that one is suppose to lose patience with the characters these actress often play,  just like Humbert,  Eastman,  Reverend Powell,  Hyde, etc... did.    

I would be concerned if one didn't.   

PS:   here is Bette Davis losing patience with Hopkins!

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone

I felt that 2021 should have a diversified group of actors for their SOM slots. They've already chose Miriam Hopkins for January, so here are some diverse picks for the rest of the year.

February - Denzel Washington - African American and I chose the films they should show since February is a short month.  I started with the Great Malcolm X, Cry Freedom,  and Mississippi Masala - the next 3 are films he directed, Antoine Fisher, The Great Debaters and then Philadelphia. The next 3 are GlMory, A Soldiers Story and the Bone Collector and the last 3 are, The Pelican Brief, For Queen and Country and Crimson Tide.

March - Jose Ferrer - Latino - I also chose him because he was in a host of Oscar Nominated films and they will fit into the 31 Day of Oscar, with the Oscar pushed back to April. The films I chose for him are, The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Caine Munity, Joan of Arc, the next 3 are The Great Man, Miss Sadie Thompson and I Accuse, the next 3, The Cockleshell Heroes, Cyrano De Bergerac, and the Shrike, which he directed and to top it off for Oscar time, Lawrence of Arabia, and Moulin Rogue.

April - Still with Oscar in mind, Audrey Hepburn, British - the first 2 Roman Holiday and My Fair Lady, the next 3 are Breakfast at Tiffany's and Charade, and Funny Face, all 3 directed by Stanley Donen and two scored by Henry Mancini. the next 3, Sabrina, Love in the Afternoon and the Children's Hour.

May - Glenn Ford  - Canadian and he was born on May 1, 1916 - Any of his fine films will do.

June - Joan Blondell from Good Old New York City - Nightmare Alley, all those Warner Brother films based in New York, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Blue Veil. I love her!

July - Yul Brynner - Russian - I know we will never get it but "The King and I" -but there's always Anastasia, The Magnificent 7, Solomon and Sheba, The Ten Commandments, The Buccaneers, and anything else you can find with him in it.

August - Summer Under the Stars

September -  Sophia Loren - Italy - Two Women, Boy on a Dolphin, El Cid, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Arabesque, 

October - Ernest Borgnine -Connecticut born - Marty, Bad Day at Black Rock, From Here to Eternity, The Poseidon Adventure, Jubal, 

November - Geraldine Fitzgerald - Irish born - 

December- Abbott and Costello - both from New Jersey

• 1 month later...

I've seen Design for LivingTrouble in Paradise, and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.  I've also seen The Story of Temple Drake which wasn't scheduled.  I loved Miriam in Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.  I found the 1931 version to be far superior to Spencer Tracy's 1942 adaptation.  I thought she was great in 'Temple Drake' even though the film was hard to watch at times. 

I didn't particularly like Miriam with Flynn in Virginia City.  I didn't think they had very good chemistry.  But I thought she was great in These Three and The Heiress. I also liked her in her two films with Bette Davis (The Old Maid and Old Acquaintance). 

Are there any of Miriam's other films that are worth checking out (scheduled or not scheduled) ?

Re: her later films, she's wonderful in CARRIE (1952) which is not scheduled. And she does a fine comic turn in THE MATING SEASON (1951) also not scheduled. On the schedule, however, is THE CHASE (1966), which was her penultimate big screen appearance. She plays Robert Redford's white trash mother. She has limited screen time, what basically amounts to an extended cameo...but she has a sensational scene near they end where her boy (Redford) is being hauled away. The Hopkins-Redford casting is inspired since they really do seem like they could be mother and son. And it was fun to imagine that this might have been Temple Drake years later whose son had problems with the law just like she had decades ago.

• Like 3
On 12/30/2020 at 4:29 AM, TopBilled said:

Re: her later films, she's wonderful in CARRIE (1952) which is not scheduled. And she does a fine comic turn in THE MATING SEASON (1951) also not scheduled. On the schedule, however, is THE CHASE (1966), which was her penultimate big screen appearance. She plays Robert Redford's white trash mother. She has limited screen time, what basically amounts to an extended cameo...but she has a sensational scene near they end where her boy (Redford) is being hauled away. The Hopkins-Redford casting is inspired since they really do seem like they could be mother and son. And it was fun to imagine that this might have been Temple Drake years later whose son had problems with the law just like she had decades ago.

I'm especially interested in The Chase.  I'm a big fan of Robert Redford and I'm curious to see Miriam as a white trash mother.  I'll definitely set this up to record.

Thanks!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm especially interested in The Chase.  I'm a big fan of Robert Redford and I'm curious to see Miriam as a white trash mother.  I'll definitely set this up to record.

Thanks!

Hopkins make an impact in The Chase getting the most out of her limited screen time.      She does white-trash-mom well.   It is Redford as Charlie "Bubber" Reeves that doesn't cut if for me.    Just too handsome of a man to play a "Bubber"!      

Also,  one needs to listen carefully anytime Brando speaks.   The combination of the accent and not fully opening his mouth makes him difficult to understand (ha ha).

The Chase - 1966 Poster.jpg

• Like 3

I consider Miriam Hopkins the quintessential Pre-Code actress.  Sexy, smart, and direct, Miriam could seduce you one moment (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) and break your heart (The Story of Temple Drake) in the next. I would have loved to have seen her in an all-out musical. Something like 42nd Street would have been a perfect vehicle. Great choice for SOTM.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ugh! Again!?! Hopkins is one of the worst actresses - or better, over-actresses. Totally unbelievable unless you’re a 12 year old. The only thing that she ever did that was watchable was Temple Drake. She should have stayed far away from acting with Bette - Ms Davis’ performances showed how truly amateurish Hopkins was.

Why don’t we see someone like Lionel Barrymore or Thomas Mitchell as a SOTM - not that’s acting!

2 hours ago, TheNonna said:

Ugh! Again!?! Hopkins is one of the worst actresses - or better, over-actresses. Totally unbelievable unless you’re a 12 year old. The only thing that she ever did that was watchable was Temple Drake. She should have stayed far away from acting with Bette - Ms Davis’ performances showed how truly amateurish Hopkins was.

Why don’t we see someone like Lionel Barrymore or Thomas Mitchell as a SOTM - not that’s acting!

I am sure many are enjoying the Miriam Hopkins films.

• Like 2

It's taken until January 19th for me to realize it, but January has no TV promo, just like November (or maybe I am just continually missing it?) We had one for October and December, but not November and January. I wonder if it's only going to be every other month now that we get an on screen promo.

On 11/7/2020 at 3:41 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

My point was that one is suppose to lose patience with the characters these actress often play,  just like Humbert,  Eastman,  Reverend Powell,  Hyde, etc... did.    

I would be concerned if one didn't.   

PS:   here is Bette Davis losing patience with Hopkins!

Having just rewatched Old Acquaintance, I can't think of another actress who could have done the role as well. james and sagebrush are both right; she tries our patience because the role was written so that she should. Everyone in the movie lost patience with her, with the possible exception of her daughter. It takes a special kind of actress to play "unlikeable" admirably. Shelly Winters was mentioned, though I think  the spirited, intricate interplay with James Mason in Lolita, for example, put her in a realm beyond the reach of Miriam Hopkins. Given the sweetness of Angela Lansbury's basic personality it's an effort to remember how chillingly unlikeable she was for a time in her roles. I don't think it's untrue that Miriam was prone to "overacting".  She was one of those actresses, like Joan Crawford and Lana Turner, who was always "in the zone", primarily self-aware and so self-consciously involved in her own acting processes that she basically could have been on another sound stage and still gotten the job done. But that kind of facade (I'm thinking specifically of Old Acquaintance.) can work, especially in a comic context, which Old Acquaintance essentially was. When Joan Crawford tried something similar in Susan and God she wasn't nearly as successful; Miriam had a comic sensibility that I don't think Joan ever acquired. (Even in The Women; comedy is more than smart remarks.) I can easily see how Miriam Hopkins could be off-putting to some and you do definitely have to accept her on her own terms, but at her best she was like a live wire, electrifying her whole environment. 

• Like 3
On 12/31/2020 at 2:20 PM, speedracer5 said:

Thanks!

The Chase is not very good. Miriam has a very small part. And is almost unrecognizable from her younger days......

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

The Chase is not very good. Miriam has a very small part. And is almost unrecognizable from her younger days......

Maybe let them watch and decide for themselves. She's playing a white trash woman, she's not supposed to look glamorous. Scroll up and see the pic I posted from her last film in 1970, she's still very glamorous when the role calls for it. Her role in THE CHASE does not call for her to step out of a time machine from 1933.

On 11/7/2020 at 5:30 AM, sagebrush said:

Amen to that! I am actually glad to move to whoever is Star of the Month in February because Miriam Hopkins has become the most irritating actor to me in the over 300 movies I have watched on TCM over the last year.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:56 AM, Stallion said:

Amen to that! I am actually glad to move to whoever is Star of the Month in February because Miriam Hopkins has become the most irritating actor to me in the over 300 movies I have watched on TCM over the last year.

A shame you felt the need to be negative. A lot of people have enjoyed the Miriam Hopkins tribute.

Thank you, TCM programmers!

On 2/1/2021 at 7:54 AM, TopBilled said:

A shame you felt the need to be negative. A lot of people have enjoyed the Miriam Hopkins tribute.

Thank you, TCM programmers!

Negative, or honest opinion?