Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of Joe Biden and healing the nation

From the Washington Post

‘What a moment in history’: As TV anchors declare Biden the winner over Trump, emotions flow

Jeremy Barr  2 hrs ago

Across broadcast and cable news networks on Saturday morning, the industry-wide announcement that Joe Biden had clinched the presidency set off a wave of emotional commentary about the enormousness of the moment and the controversies of the Trump presidency.

CNN commentator Van Jones, who was an Obama White House staffer, teared up. “Well, it’s easier to be a parent this morning,” he said. “It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids that character matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.” He continued: “And it’s easier for a whole lot of people. If you’re Muslim in this country, you don’t have to worry about if the president doesn’t want you here.”

“Quite frankly, the Democrats could not have picked a more perfect candidate to meet the moment,” said Mika Brzezinski on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“I’m thinking of the 32-year quest for presidency of this man — his resilience in the face of failed attempts in the past,” said NBC News chief foreign correspondent Andrea Mitchell. “To see the first woman vice president, the first woman of color, it is overwhelming in a way to think of the barriers that have been broken.”

Donna Brazile, a Democratic contributor on Fox News, was overcome with emotion when asked by Baier about the significance of Sen. Kamala D. Harris becoming the first woman and person of color to serve as vice president. “It’s been a long time coming,” she said. “To be the last to get voting rights. To be those who just waited and waited for our turn. It’s been a long time coming. . . . I’m so grateful that this moment has come. . . . Sorry for the tears. I don’t cry often. But the cry is because there’s so many women out there who made this happen.”
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I thought I would try to post positive news articles, at least one a day from now until the end of Biden's term.

How does that sound?

As long as it is one or two posts, that is good.  Also, an explanation of the news article helps, rather than just posting a link or video clip.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ElCid said:

As long as it is one or two posts, that is good.  Also, an explanation of the news article helps, rather than just posting a link or video clip.

I agree. I am admittedly not a news junkie but I thought this little "project" would help me keep up on things. With an emphasis on the positive.

If an article references Fox News I will not post it or else I will cut those paragraphs out. My reason for doing this is because I feel Fox News tries to brainwash people and promote ignorance and unenlightened views. I also feel this way about radical leftist news sources, so this is not necessarily an anti-conservative bias on my part. Per se.

When I taught middle school children I always encouraged critical thinking, for individuals to think for themselves. But also to try and look at things as positively as possible.

I am interested in positive news and how Biden's election can help reshape the country.

• Like 1

For today's positive news article, I am choosing a piece from Reuters. It discusses Biden's commitment to dealing with the Coronavirus crisis.

During the campaign, Biden became associated with the image of wearing a mask. I can't help but wonder if that gained a lot of voters for him and the Dems.

With cases soaring, Biden to announce COVID-19 task force

WILMINGTON, Del. (Reuters) - Making the resurgent coronavirus his immediate priority, U.S. President-elect Joe Biden on Monday will announce a 12-member task force to deal with the pandemic.

Biden spent much of his election campaign criticizing President Donald Trump’s handling of the pandemic, which has now caused the deaths of 237,000 people in America. The United States saw a record number of new infections last week, with the total number of cases nearing 10 million.

After four days of uncertainty as votes were counted in key states, Biden's victory on Saturday in Pennsylvania put him over the threshold of 270 Electoral College votes he needed to clinch the presidency. Trump has not conceded and has vowed to challenge the outcome in court.

The coronavirus task force will be charged with developing a blueprint for containing the disease once Biden takes office in January. It will be headed by three co-chairs, former surgeon general Vivek Murthy, former Food and Drug Administration commissioner David Kessler, and Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith of Yale University, according to two people familiar with the matter.

"I will spare no effort - or commitment - to turn this pandemic around," Biden said in his victory speech on Saturday in Wilmington.

The task force announcement will kick off a busy week that will see Biden and Vice President-elect, Kamala Harris, moving forward with the presidential transition on a number of fronts, with Biden turning in earnest to the task of building his administration ahead of his Jan. 20 inauguration.

On Sunday, his transition team will launch a new website, BuildBackBetter.com, and a new social media handle, @transition46, to provide the public with information on the handover.

(Reporting by Trevor Hunnicutt; Writing by James Oliphant; Editing by Frances Kerry)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Also Biden said he's not going to spend time now criticizing Trump, serves no purpose.

It serves no purpose for Biden now because the campaign's over and he's won.

And now he has the gargantuan task of first reorganizing the Federal government that trump has tried to deconstruct in the last 4 years. Just the loss of personnel-- vital managerial veteran personnel--

will be a difficult hurdle for Biden to take on immediately-- before he can even get his teeth into the economic and health crisis in the country.

Biden has a lot on his plate, but he's going to know better than we do just how damaged the federal governmental structure is now-- in comparison to what he and Obama had 4 years ago.

I say he's right to leave it to the courts and the court of public opinion to have the last say on trump.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I just hope that Queen Kamala can remember that it is joe biden who will be president and not her.

You mean a "woman should know her place" and all that stuff?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
44 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

You really don't like her, do you?

I wonder why?:D

her personal arrogance is very reminiscent to me of Geraldine Ferraro.

her physical ethnicity of course is completely irrelevant.

but what I find offensive is her thinking there are hordes of white guys just seething with hatred because she is a VP-Elect.

it would behoove her to be much more humble and not filled with such bile.

like she says in her speech almost sounding like a threat that she would be the first of many women of color.

why did she find it necessary to lower herself like that?

joe biden is saying lets all be buddies.

fine I'm for that but first he oughta tell her to curb her hostility and put the chip on her shoulder away.

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

Maybe you're trying to find things wrong with her?

Interesting that you are being politically correct now. :) 

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

I think you're wrong about Kamala.

But I know you're wrong about Geraldine Ferraro.

I can tell you that I interviewed Geraldine Ferraro one on one. And there was nothing arrogant about her.

She was professional and up to speed on the issues.

I didn't have an appointment with her and she was in a hurry, but she took time to answer my questions and to be respectful toward me.

She was truly a pioneer and a trailblazer for women in national politics.

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Maybe you're trying to find things wrong with her?

Interesting that you are being politically correct now. :) 

no I think I'm trying to be fair to her but she does seem to have a chip on her shoulder for us white devils...and biden coulda picked a more exemplory person.

she was a prosecutor and like 99% of the politicians in washington is a lawyer so what are her special virtues?

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

no I think I'm trying to be fair to her but she does seem to have a chip on her shoulder for us white devils...and biden coulda picked a more exemplory person.

she was a prosecutor and like 99% of the politicians in washington is a lawyer so what are her special virtues?

and SHE was the one who first highlighted her ethnicity.

WHY?

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

Is this a tactic the right will be using-- implying that she's racist against white men?

And are you saying that a person should not have a background in law in order to be a politician?

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Is this a tactic the right will be using-- implying that she's racist against white men?

And are you saying that a person should not have a background in law in order to be a politician?

no I'm wondering just what biden found so special about her.

5 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

and SHE was the one who first highlighted her ethnicity.

WHY?

I think it has to do with her being a person from an immigrant family.

There's been a lot of talk by trump that immigrants are criminals and bums. And both her parents were immigrants from foreign countries. Yet they were both college-educated  and raised her to become what she is today.

The Immigrant story is really the American story and it keeps evolving to include more and more ethnicities.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I expect all the racial hostility to be coming from her but if she calms down that'll be nice too.

She told me she wouldn't do that if you did the same.

Do we have a deal?

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

but what I find offensive is her thinking there are hordes of white guys just seething with hatred because she is a VP-Elect.

it would behoove her to be much more humble and not filled with such bile.

like she says in her speech almost sounding like a threat that she would be the first of many women of color.

why did she find it necessary to lower herself like that?

joe biden is saying lets all be buddies.

fine I'm for that but first he oughta tell her to curb her hostility and put the chip on her shoulder away.

I didn't see anything about her platform or her policies. With women its always about appearance or attitude.

By the way, I don't remember you wanting Donald to be more humble 🙄

• Thanks 1