Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of Joe Biden and healing the nation


Recommended Posts

My favorite article this week, comes from the Washington Post:

Biden’s main political opponent — right-wing misinformation — remains unvanquished

BY PHILLIP BUMP

Donald Trump is president today because he managed to build a fervent core of support early in the 2016 Republican nominating contest. He and his supporters like to say that this fervency was a function of his forthrightness and honesty, but that’s not really the case. It was largely because Trump, unlike most other Republican elected officials, was willing to reiterate and amplify right-wing talking points and conspiracy theories. Most establishment Republicans tried to figure out how to keep one foot in reality and one foot in the world occupied by their base. Trump didn’t worry about reality.

That has been the case for years, beginning with his embrace of false claims about the birthplace of then-President Barack Obama. Perhaps Trump recognized that the universe of misinformation swirling around American politics created a large, untapped pool of support; perhaps he was simply a devout consumer of it. Either way, he emerged in June 2015 willing to disparage immigrants and attack Democrats in terms unusual for a Republican candidate. Within a month — after being nationally lambasted for his assertions — he led in the polls.

For more than four years, Trump continued on the same path. Whatever prompted the most fervent response from his base is what he touted, with right-wing figures on social media and Fox News hosts applauding each time. No group was consistently more loyal to Trump than Republicans who were fervent Fox News viewers.

Sure, the buck never stopped with Trump, but there was never any political cost paid for blaming everyone else. Until Nov. 3, of course, when Trump's ongoing failure to expand his base of support over the course of his presidency led to Joe Biden's election as the country's 46th president.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

My favorite article this week, comes from the Washington Post:

Biden’s main political opponent — right-wing misinformation — remains unvanquished

BY PHILLIP BUMP

Donald Trump is president today because he managed to build a fervent core of support early in the 2016 Republican nominating contest. He and his supporters like to say that this fervency was a function of his forthrightness and honesty, but that’s not really the case. It was largely because Trump, unlike most other Republican elected officials, was willing to reiterate and amplify right-wing talking points and conspiracy theories. Most establishment Republicans tried to figure out how to keep one foot in reality and one foot in the world occupied by their base. Trump didn’t worry about reality.

That has been the case for years, beginning with his embrace of false claims about the birthplace of then-President Barack Obama. Perhaps Trump recognized that the universe of misinformation swirling around American politics created a large, untapped pool of support; perhaps he was simply a devout consumer of it. Either way, he emerged in June 2015 willing to disparage immigrants and attack Democrats in terms unusual for a Republican candidate. Within a month — after being nationally lambasted for his assertions — he led in the polls.

For more than four years, Trump continued on the same path. Whatever prompted the most fervent response from his base is what he touted, with right-wing figures on social media and Fox News hosts applauding each time. No group was consistently more loyal to Trump than Republicans who were fervent Fox News viewers.

Sure, the buck never stopped with Trump, but there was never any political cost paid for blaming everyone else. Until Nov. 3, of course, when Trump's ongoing failure to expand his base of support over the course of his presidency led to Joe Biden's election as the country's 46th president.

TopBilled:  Pulling out two statements. 

"Donald Trump is president today because he managed to build a fervent core of support early in the 2016 Republican nominating contest." 

"Sure, the buck never stopped with Trump, but there was never any political cost paid for blaming everyone else. Until Nov. 3, of course, when Trump's ongoing failure to expand his base of support over the course of his presidency led to Joe Biden's election as the country's 46th president."

 

While he did build a fervent core of support early in the 2016 nominating process, he also secured the support of a variety of Republican leaning voters and organizations to win the nomination and the election.

As for the second statement, not to sure his base really shrank that much.  After all he got over 70 Million votes, 2nd highest of any presidential candidate in history and came within a couple of states of winning again.  What did happen is that the Dems managed to outperform the GOPers in getting people to vote.  Also, there were many, many thousands who were so offended by Trump's low behavior and character that they could not vote for him again.  Some actually voted against him.

To me the biggest problem coming for the Dems is whether or not the often fractious and divided Democratic Party can pull together as the Republicans so often do.  There are many one issue people who vote for the Republicans because they support that issue, even if they disagree on many other issues.  The Dems cannot seem to do this very well any more.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Until you realize that some LGBTQ people do need to lobby for equal consideration, we will never be able to have a fair or comprehensive discussion here. 

As for the other groups, you say "if" as in IF they are being denied rights. Biden and others feel they have been denied rights and that is why they will push for broader inclusion. There is no  doubt, no "if" about it, as far as some people are concerned.

Still not reading and still taking things out of context, eh?

I DO know some LGBTQ  people need to lobby for equal consideration!  Did I or did I NOT state that as long as they( along with the Middle eastern and Northern African groups mentioned) are tax-paying AMERICAN CITIZENS, then they should already be afforded those rights?  

Cripes!  I could have SWORN I stated that MORE than once!!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Still not reading and still taking things out of context, eh?

I DO know some LGBTQ  people need to lobby for equal consideration!  Did I or did I NOT state that as long as they( along with the Middle eastern and Northern African groups mentioned) are tax-paying AMERICAN CITIZENS, then they should already be afforded those rights?  

Cripes!  I could have SWORN I stated that MORE than once!!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Your saying they should be afforded those rights doesn't mean they are. I just want to be clear about that. Also, adding in the tax-paying part seems a bit irrelevant. Some disenfranchised groups of people don't make enough to pay taxes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ElCid said:

TopBilled:  Pulling out two statements. 

"Donald Trump is president today because he managed to build a fervent core of support early in the 2016 Republican nominating contest." 

"Sure, the buck never stopped with Trump, but there was never any political cost paid for blaming everyone else. Until Nov. 3, of course, when Trump's ongoing failure to expand his base of support over the course of his presidency led to Joe Biden's election as the country's 46th president."

 

While he did build a fervent core of support early in the 2016 nominating process, he also secured the support of a variety of Republican leaning voters and organizations to win the nomination and the election.

As for the second statement, not to sure his base really shrank that much.  After all he got over 70 Million votes, 2nd highest of any presidential candidate in history and came within a couple of states of winning again.  What did happen is that the Dems managed to outperform the GOPers in getting people to vote.  Also, there were many, many thousands who were so offended by Trump's low behavior and character that they could not vote for him again.  Some actually voted against him.

To me the biggest problem coming for the Dems is whether or not the often fractious and divided Democratic Party can pull together as the Republicans so often do.  There are many one issue people who vote for the Republicans because they support that issue, even if they disagree on many other issues.  The Dems cannot seem to do this very well any more.

You stated all of that well. I am not sure I agree with it all, but you gave us something to think about here! :) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Washington Post:

How a Biden presidency could advance transgender rights — and lead to backlash

In the weeks leading up to the election, the calls to Julian Harris’s office kept coming in, and the waitlist kept growing.

There was an urgency to the phone calls. Harris, a licensed independent clinical social worker in Silver Spring, Md., who caters to the LGBTQ community, said many of the callers were transgender people seeking counseling services, fearing another four years of a Trump administration that has repeatedly attacked the rights of their community.

Other clients were rushing to get legal name changes or surgeries scheduled before the election, worrying it could become more difficult in a second Trump term. At Whitman-Walker, an LGBTQ-focused community health center in D.C., the director of gender-affirming services estimated a 75 percent increase in the number of requests from transgender people seeking referrals for surgery in the weeks before the election.

But on Nov. 7, when major news outlets called the election for Joe Biden, the transgender community watched as the president-elect specifically mentioned them in his victory speech, the first U.S. president-elect in history to do so.

“All of a sudden, they slept well that night,” Harris, who is a transgender man, said his clients told him. “A weight had been lifted that they didn’t even realize was so heavy.”

It was only one word, but the mention of the transgender community in Biden’s acceptance speech was a symbolic shift from a presidential administration that has spent the past four years repeatedly erasing protections for transgender people — in health care, federal employment, federal prisons, homeless shelters and other housing services receiving federal funds.

The Trump administration has banned transgender members of the military and rescinded Obama-era guidance that offered protections for transgender students. It has declared that the federal Title IX rules require schools to ban transgender students from participating in school sports corresponding to their gender identity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Your saying they should be afforded those rights doesn't mean they are. I just want to be clear about that. Also, adding in the tax-paying part seems a bit irrelevant. Some disenfranchised groups of people don't make enough to pay taxes!

Yeah.  I KNOW that! :rolleyes:  As far as the "tax paying" part,  Notice it's followed by "American citizens", which should be enough to get the point across, but as you point out,  it doesn't always.  But, you gotta start somewhere.  That argument is usually meant to be aimed at those who have no problem with  entitled constitutional rights being denied certain people because they're the kind that they either don't like or otherwise disapprove of.   But then IMHO, I don't think any of those groups deserve any special considerations beyond the rights they're already presumably entitled to.  

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HIGHWAY said:

 

 If you're a trump supporter-- And watching this video gives me that impression --

Then IMO you should have the guts to get with the rest of the trump supporters,

And show them some solidarity--

rather than hiding behind these stupid videos with this has-been Who Never Was much of a stand-up comedian. 

Speak for yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HIGHWAY said:

Princess, all of my love to you. I think it looks like I'm a Trump supporter but in reality I'm just left of you politically. And definitely left of other posters on this forum. And left of Biden who want's more military spending and supports the war machine, and is against Medicare For All.
It's a little disheartening to see you join the group here who degrade Jimmy Dore but don't give specific arguments of a particular substance in his videos that they believe is wrong.  

With regards to Dore:  no one here wishes to challenge Dore at this forum since Dore is not a member of this forum.     This is why you have been asked over and over again to post your own POV:   E.g.  make the case why Medicare for All or the New Green Deal,    etc....    are sound polices (or that Biden and Dem establishment are frauds etc...).   

I.e. YOU make specific arguments of  particular substance and I'm sure people at this forum will discuss them with you.     Of course you can get your talking-point from Dore.   No one would care about that.

What doesn't make sense is you acting like Jimmy's mommy with an overbearing need to defend the guy.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's article is from ABC News:

Biden approaches 80 million votes in historic victory

President-elect Joe Biden's winning tally is approaching a record 80 million votes as Democratic bastions continue to count ballots and the 2020 election cracks turnout records.

Biden has already set a record for the highest number of votes for a winning presidential candidate, and President Trump has also notched a high-water mark of the most votes for a losing candidate. With more than 155 million votes counted and California and New York still counting, turnout stands at 65% of all eligible voters, the highest since 1908, according to data from The Associated Press and the U.S. Elections Project.

The rising Biden tally and his popular vote lead — nearly 6 million votes — come as Trump has escalated his false insistence that he actually won the election, and his campaign and supporters intensify their uphill legal fight to stop or delay results from being certified, potentially nullify the votes of Americans.

“It's just a lot of noise going on, because Donald Trump is a bull who carries his own china shop with him,” said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian at Rice University. “Once the noise recedes, it's going to be clear that Biden won a very convincing victory.”

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Today's article is from ABC News:

Biden approaches 80 million votes in historic victory

President-elect Joe Biden's winning tally is approaching a record 80 million votes as Democratic bastions continue to count ballots and the 2020 election cracks turnout records.

Biden has already set a record for the highest number of votes for a winning presidential candidate, and President Trump has also notched a high-water mark of the most votes for a losing candidate. With more than 155 million votes counted and California and New York still counting, turnout stands at 65% of all eligible voters, the highest since 1908, according to data from The Associated Press and the U.S. Elections Project.

The rising Biden tally and his popular vote lead — nearly 6 million votes — come as Trump has escalated his false insistence that he actually won the election, and his campaign and supporters intensify their uphill legal fight to stop or delay results from being certified, potentially nullify the votes of Americans.

“It's just a lot of noise going on, because Donald Trump is a bull who carries his own china shop with him,” said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian at Rice University. “Once the noise recedes, it's going to be clear that Biden won a very convincing victory.”

 

I believe that Trump has actually received the second highest number of votes for any candidate.  Of course, that is because so many more people voted this time.  Appears that the consensus is that vast number of voters either voted against Trump or for Trump.  As opposed to voting for Biden.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HIGHWAY said:
I would have a fun time here if I posted CIA talking points, example " Thomas Rid in The Washington Post: “We must treat the Hunter Biden leaks as if they were a foreign intelligence operation — even if they probably aren’t.”
 
Face it James your a corporate Democrat who now can go back to sleep, you don't live paycheck to paycheck and your not facing foreclosure or the impact of not having money to pay for prescriptions. Wars are a part of our daily life, nothing to complain about, after all it's over there.

I'm not a corporate Dem.    Grow up silly man,

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From CNN this morning:

Georgia recount confirms Joe Biden victory and finds no widespread fraud after statewide audit

Georgia has finished its statewide audit of the razor-thin presidential race, confirming that President-elect Joe Biden defeated President Donald Trump, according to a news release from the Secretary of State's office.

Biden beat Trump by 12,284 votes, according to the final results from the audit. This is a slight drop for Biden compared to the pre-audit results.

Officials have said repeatedly that the audit confirmed there was no widespread fraud or irregularities in the election.

Georgia is required under state law to certify its election results by Friday.

"Georgia's historic first statewide audit reaffirmed that the state's new secure paper ballot voting system accurately counted and reported results," Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a Republican, said in a statement.

"This is a credit to the hard work of our county and local elections officials who moved quickly to undertake and complete such a momentous task in a short period of time."

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HIGHWAY said:

 

 

So, Highway or TalkTalk or whatever your name is these days ...  How come you don't seem to have a problem with Mike Pompeo's military arms sale tour of the Middle East or Donald Trump's four years spent concentrating on the same?  The war in Yemen doesn't bother you?  Trump's inclination to attack Iran or Venezuela doesn't bother you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 7:15 AM, TopBilled said:

My favorite article this week, comes from the Washington Post:

Biden’s main political opponent — right-wing misinformation — remains unvanquished

BY PHILLIP BUMP

Donald Trump is president today because he managed to build a fervent core of support early in the 2016 Republican nominating contest. He and his supporters like to say that this fervency was a function of his forthrightness and honesty, but that’s not really the case. It was largely because Trump, unlike most other Republican elected officials, was willing to reiterate and amplify right-wing talking points and conspiracy theories. Most establishment Republicans tried to figure out how to keep one foot in reality and one foot in the world occupied by their base. Trump didn’t worry about reality.

That has been the case for years, beginning with his embrace of false claims about the birthplace of then-President Barack Obama. Perhaps Trump recognized that the universe of misinformation swirling around American politics created a large, untapped pool of support; perhaps he was simply a devout consumer of it. Either way, he emerged in June 2015 willing to disparage immigrants and attack Democrats in terms unusual for a Republican candidate. Within a month — after being nationally lambasted for his assertions — he led in the polls.

For more than four years, Trump continued on the same path. Whatever prompted the most fervent response from his base is what he touted, with right-wing figures on social media and Fox News hosts applauding each time. No group was consistently more loyal to Trump than Republicans who were fervent Fox News viewers.

Sure, the buck never stopped with Trump, but there was never any political cost paid for blaming everyone else. Until Nov. 3, of course, when Trump's ongoing failure to expand his base of support over the course of his presidency led to Joe Biden's election as the country's 46th president.

TB, why has not Barack Obama unsealed all his Harvard scholastic records....especially his speeches?

I doan know. do you?

he's such an academic pinwheel why wouldn't he want us to read his youthful academic brilliance?

maybe there's some alternative theories for the formation of the universe in them.

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...