Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation

On 11/30/2020 at 9:43 AM, hamradio said:

Title now has some irony, Biden will spend the first few months of his administration healing himself.  

Well there are different types of healing...right? :) 

From Reuters 49 minutes ago:

Biden picks former Obama officials Zients, Murthy to lead COVID-19 fight

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President-elect Joe Biden has selected two former Obama administration officials for senior roles to help fight COVID-19, including the appointment of Jeff Zients as White House coronavirus coordinator on Thursday.

Biden adviser Vivek Murthy will return to his role as Surgeon General but with a broader portfolio as the pandemic rages through the country.

Dealing with the virus that has killed more than 274,000 Americans as well as the economic fallout from the crisis is one of Biden’s top priorities once he takes office on Jan. 20.

Also Marcella Nunez-Smith, a co-chair of Biden’s COVID-19 advisory board, will play a key role in the incoming administration’s pandemic response, focused on disparities.

Current White House coronavirus task force member Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. government infectious diseases expert, was scheduled to have his first substantive talks with the new administration on Thursday.

Fauci told media he expected to have a comprehensive discussion with members of Biden’s team working to establish priorities and ensure a smooth transition on Inauguration Day.

• Like 2

From The Associated Press:

That's a lot of candles: Biden turns 78, will be oldest U.S. president

Ronald Reagan was 77 when he left the White House after serving two terms.

WASHINGTON — President-elect Joe Biden turned 78 on Friday. In two months, he’ll take the reins of a politically fractured nation facing the worst public health crisis in a century, high unemployment and a reckoning on racial injustice.

As he wrestles with those issues, Biden will be attempting to accomplish another feat: demonstrate to Americans that age is but a number and he’s up to the job.

Biden will be sworn in as the oldest president in the nation’s history, displacing Ronald Reagan, who left the White House in 1989 when he was 77 years and 349 days old.

The age and health of both Biden and President Donald Trump -- less than four years Biden’s junior — loomed throughout a race that was decided by a younger and more diverse electorate and at a moment when the nation is facing no shortage of issues of consequence.

Out of the gate, Biden will be keen to demonstrate he’s got the vigor to serve.

“It’s crucial that he and his staff put himself in the position early in his presidency where he can express what he wants with a crispness that’s not always been his strength,” said Ross Baker, a political scientist at Rutgers University who has advised legislators from both parties. “He has got to build up credibility with the American people that he’s physically and mentally up to the job.”

Throughout the campaign, Trump, 74, didn’t miss a chance to highlight Biden’s gaffes and argue that the Democrat lacked the mental acuity to lead the nation. Both critics and some backers of Biden worried that he was sending the wrong message about his stamina by keeping a relatively light public schedule while Trump barnstormed battleground states. Biden attributed his light schedule to being cautious during the coronavirus pandemic.

Some of Biden’s rivals in the Democratic primary also made a case on age -- while skipping Trump’s vitriol -- by raising the question of whether someone of Biden’s and Trump’s generation was the right person to lead a nation dealing with issues like climate change and racial inequality.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

so why does the msm make a big deal about biden asking everyone to keep wearing masks for another 100 days?

do they think he's made some kinda medical breakthrough?

:lol:

Because he is actually treating the virus like something to be fought rather than having a packed calendar of Christmas parties and telling everybody to embrace the virus not fear it, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From Reuters:

Biden says he'll publicly get a COVID-19 vaccine, keep Fauci

WILMINGTON, Del. (Reuters) - U.S. President-elect Joe Biden said he would publicly take a coronavirus vaccine to demonstrate its safety to the public and pledged to retain the nation’s top adviser on the pandemic, Anthony Fauci, when he takes office next month.

“People have lost faith in the ability of the vaccine to work,” Biden told CNN in an interview that aired on Thursday.

Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a member of President Donald Trump’s coronavirus task force, met with Biden’s advisers on the pandemic earlier in the day. In the interview, Biden said he asked Fauci to stay on as a chief medical adviser.

In the interview alongside Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris, Biden called for Congress to pass the $908 billion bill proposed by moderates in the U.S. Senate, but said that it should be viewed as a “start” to providing relief during the pandemic.

“People are really hurting,” he said. “They’re scared to death.”

From CNN:

Joe Biden's already more popular than Trump's ever been

A new Gallup poll finds that President-elect Joe Biden has a 55% favorable rating and a 41% unfavorable rating.

The 2020 election was, like almost every election involving an incumbent, mostly about voters' feelings toward said incumbent. Not enough attention, however, has been paid to the fact that the challenger was a fairly popular guy. He did not allow Trump to make this election a choice of the lesser of two evils.

Indeed, Biden is more popular than Trump has been at any point since he started running for president in June 2015.

A look across all the polling shows Trump's favorable rating has usually been in the 30s or 40s, like in the Gallup poll. In a network exit poll, it was 46%.

The highest favorable rating in any live interview poll for Trump was after he won the 2016 election. His favorable rating stood at 50% in a Bloomberg News poll conducted by Selzer and Company. Trump never got above 50% in any live interview poll.

Biden, by comparison, has done it multiple times.

• Thanks 1

Today, we remember those we lost at Pearl Harbor 79 years ago —
and we salute those who answered duty’s call with strength and courage.
Our nation owes an incredible debt to those who have served and must ensure they and their families receive the care they’ve earned.
  • Thanks 2

Dr. Fauci isn't just one of our foremost experts on combating viruses—he is a good man and a tireless public servant.

He has served six presidents and led us through some of our toughest challenges.

Our administration, and our country, will be stronger because of his guidance.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Dr. Fauci isn't just one of our foremost experts on combating viruses—he is a good man and a tireless public servant.

He has served six presidents and led us through some of our toughest challenges.

Our administration, and our country, will be stronger because of his guidance.

Well said.

Thank you for posting these.

• Like 1

Today, I'm announcing key COVID-19 priorities for the first 100 days of my administration:

- Everyone wears a mask
- 100 million vaccinations
- Reopen the majority of schools

With these steps, we can change the course of the disease and change life in America for the better.
14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Today, I'm announcing key COVID-19 priorities for the first 100 days of my administration:

- Everyone wears a mask
- 100 million vaccinations
- Reopen the majority of schools

With these steps, we can change the course of the disease and change life in America for the better.

I agree and wish him luck on all three.  Way too many people opposed to 1 and 2, making 3 more dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So....

Ask anyone who's ever been on one of those ventilators if they're less uncomfortable than wearing a mask.  

To me, at age 78 Joe Biden shows more vigor than I do at age 69!  :huh:   But too, I keep recalling Ronald Reagan's reply to a debate question about if age is a factor in his bid for reelection.  He replied...

"No, I don't think age should be a factor, and I won't keep mentioning the youth and inexperience of my opponent."  :D   Hell.  Even WALTER MONDALE couldn't help but laugh.

Sepiatone

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

So....

Ask anyone who's ever been on one of those ventilators if they're less uncomfortable than wearing a mask.  

To me, at age 78 Joe Biden shows more vigor than I do at age 69!  :huh:   But too, I keep recalling Ronald Reagan's reply to a debate question about if age is a factor in his bid for reelection.  He replied...

"No, I don't think age should be a factor, and I won't keep mentioning the youth and inexperience of my opponent."  :D   Hell.  Even WALTER MONDALE couldn't help but laugh.

Sepiatone

I would much rather have an older person who cares about people, has experience and most importantly hires the right people to actually do the work that needs to be done.  As well as being able to make the right decisions when the times come.  Trump failed miserably in all of these areas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TopBilled changed the title to The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation