Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hard to find news about this expected from very biased right-wing networks.    E.g. I did a "search" at CNN's website for "Hunter Biden" and they didn't have one thing about the investigation etc...  Not one thing.

If Trump not conceding is news (for some,   not me),   isn't this Hunter Biden tax fraud investigation news?   (even if it is just a GOP witch hunt without merit).

It is news and is being reported.  As your search revealed there is not much reporting because nobody is saying anything.  So far, the only major comments are when Hunter Biden informed the media(?) that he was being investigated.  Then when Trump went all in on his attack of Hunter Biden and Bill Barr.  Other than that, nothing to report.  The DOJ is keeping wraps on the investigation as they do in these types of cases.  Can't report what is not there.

As for Trump not conceding the election, launching frivolous, merit less law suits with support of vast numbers of Republicans is news.  Simply because it is unprecedented and is a threat to undermine American Democracy.   It feeds the right wing terrorists groups and their adherents.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ElCid said:

It is news and is being reported.  As your search revealed there is not much reporting because nobody is saying anything.  So far, the only major comments are when Hunter Biden informed the media(?) that he was being investigated.  Then when Trump went all in on his attack of Hunter Biden and Bill Barr.  Other than that, nothing to report.  The DOJ is keeping wraps on the investigation as they do in these types of cases.  Can't report what is not there.

As for Trump not conceding the election, launching frivolous, merit less law suits with support of vast numbers of Republicans is news.  Simply because it is unprecedented and is a threat to undermine American Democracy.   It feeds the right wing terrorists groups and their adherents.

Who is paying for these frivolous lawsuits?

23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Who is paying for these frivolous lawsuits?

Trump's campaign pays for their end and the state already pays the state officials,  like Election officials,  the Secretary of State etc.. and Judges that are involved.

The same is true for any Federal case.   

PS:  It is the GOP,  for decades,  that try to pass laws to make the party pay for a lawsuit that fails.     The GOP has this stance to prevent less well off parties from suing richer parties (e.g. employee suing a corporation).        I only point this out because those thinking such a law would be great to reduce these type of Trump campaign lawsuits would end up hurting the everyday folks ability to pursue justice.  

• Thanks 1

Too bad we don't use the English Rule in this country (except for Alaska, and in limited cases, Texas) where the loser in court pays for the other party's legal costs.

The U.S. is just about the only western democracy in the world that doesn't use this rule.

2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Too bad we don't use the English Rule in this country (except for Alaska, and in limited cases, Texas) where the loser in court pays for the other party's legal costs.

The U.S. is just about the only western democracy in the world that doesn't use this rule.

This would really hurt the ability of lesser off folks to sue corporations and other "rich" parties.     This is why the Dem party has been against such a rule and why only conservative states (as a way to protect the corporations and rich) favor it.       One can NOT looks at such a legal rule change on a case-by-case basis.   I.e. it would have major ramifications and most of those would hurt those that need the most help from the US Justice system. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This would really hurt the ability of lesser off folks to sue corporations and other "rich" parties.     This is why the Dem party has been against such a rule and why only conservative states (as a way to protect the corporations and rich) favor it.       One can NOT looks at such a legal rule change on a case-by-case basis.   I.e. it would have major ramifications and most of those would hurt those that need the most help from the US Justice system. 

Can't judges decide that losers have to pay other parties' legal fees.  Or is this some TV stuff?

Just now, ElCid said:

Can't judges decide that losers have to pay other parties' legal fees.  Or is this some TV stuff?

States have different rules but most of those apply to civil suits.      In many states with civil suits a judge can dismiss the case as frivolous (without merit) after a review.   I.e. this doesn't cost either party too much.    E.g.  when a fat person tried to sue McDonald's claiming they were responsible for harming them.     Here in CA an attorney can be barred from filing lawsuits if a higher state court determines all they do is file such frivolous lawsuits.    Such an attorney can also be disbarred. 

All of these methods cost money but like I said above,   the lesser off in our society need to be able to file lawsuit even if the odds of them winning are low.    I.e. if there are too many checks (barriers),   only corporation and the rich would have the means to file lawsuits  (since they could afford to pay the other party if they lose).

22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The fundamental flaw in such thinking is that it assumes all Republicans are rich and all Democrats are poor.

Democrats like Biden and the Kennedys are quite well off financially. And as we know there are a lot of "red-neck" Republicans that, to borrow the stereotype, live in trailer courts.

Just ask Nipkow.

• Haha 1
Just now, TopBilled said:

The fundamental flaw in this is that it assumes all Republicans are rich and all Democrats are poor.

Democrats like Biden and the Kennedys are quite well off financially. And as we know there are a lot of "red-neck" Republicans that, to borrow the stereotype, live in trailer courts.

So you favor such a rule change? 

12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So you favor such a rule change? 

It's not about what I favor in this instance. Though I do think there is too much litigation in our society. Trump's failed lawsuits might prove to be a deterrent to some.

From the BBC:

Joe Biden says 'no time to waste' as climate team unveiled

US President-elect Joe Biden has introduced his climate and energy team, saying they will lead an "ambitious plan" to combat climate change.

Mr Biden has vowed to make the issue a top priority in an agenda that reverses many Trump administration policies.

He said there was "no time to waste".

If confirmed by the Senate, the team will include the first black man to run the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the first Native American cabinet member.

Mr Biden, who is set to be inaugurated on 20 January, has pledged to build a diverse administration that reflects the US.

"We're in a crisis," he said. "Just like we need to be a unified nation to respond to Covid-19, we need a unified national response to climate change."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

From the BBC:

US President-elect Joe Biden has introduced his climate and energy team, saying they will lead an "ambitious plan" to combat climate change.

Mr Biden has vowed to make the issue a top priority in an agenda that reverses many Trump administration policies.

If confirmed by the Senate, the team will include the first black man to run the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the first Native American cabinet member.

Mr Biden, who is set to be inaugurated on 20 January, has pledged to build a diverse administration that reflects the US.

"We're in a crisis," he said. "Just like we need to be a unified nation to respond to Covid-19, we need a unified national response to climate change."

And we do realize, right,  that those aren't the only issues in which being unified will help solve, right? 

On 12/18/2020 at 12:04 PM, txfilmfan said:

Having never brought a serious suit against anyone, all I can relate to is small claims court, where here in MI. it's usually the loser charged with covering the court cost.  And that's never that excessive.   In the four cases I took to small claims, I lost only one, and the court cost in that instance was $25.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ralfy said:

The U.S. promoted almost four decades of Reaganomics and warmongering, leading to incredible levels of debts for the U.S. and untold suffering for many countries, and Biden was in office throughout that time.

True.     But Biden didn't have much power during those decades.     He was only a single member of Congress and as V.P.   did next to nothing (especially since the USA just had a V.P. that mostly ran the Executive branch,  Cheney).   

Anyhow,  I don't see what you're trying to make.     If it is that Biden has been a corporate Dem that supports the US war making industry and massive unnecessary spending by the DOD,   well duh.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

True.     But Biden didn't have much power during those decades.     He was only a single member of Congress and as V.P.   did next to nothing (especially since the USA just had a V.P. that mostly ran the Executive branch,  Cheney).   

Anyhow,  I don't see what you're trying to make.     If it is that Biden has been a corporate Dem that supports the US war making industry and massive unnecessary spending by the DOD,   well duh.

My point is to show that he is a "corporate Dem that supports the U.S. war[-]making industry." Given that, I don't think "healing" will take place.

3 hours ago, ralfy said:

My point is to show that he is a "corporate Dem that supports the U.S. war[-]making industry." Given that, I don't think "healing" will take place.

You are saying that more war and destruction will take place?

6 hours ago, ralfy said:

I haven't been able to deduce most of ralfy's posts.

• Sad 1

I fear that Joe Biden's presidency is doomed from the start, but I hope I am wrong.  Trump and the GOPers have left the government in such a mess, it will take years to straighten it out, if the GOPers cooperated and they will NOT.  They will undermine him every step of the way.  Not to mention malcontents in the Dem. party.

As for his appointments, as one article noted they are being selected for diversity and comfort primarily.  What he and America needs are really good people who know what their departments/agencies are supposed to be doing.  Too many have little to no experience in the fields they are to oversee or the scope of the jobs.  For example, his selection as Sec. of Defense is too close to just having retired from the military.   There is a reason why it is supposed to be a civilian.  On top of which, his experience is in the Middle East and that is drawing to an end (let's hope) as a losing operation.  America's enemies are China, Russia, Iran, North Korea and several other non-Middle East bad actors.  Also a few "allies" that can't really be trusted.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:44 AM, TopBilled said:

From the BBC:

So he needs to convince the average American to give up the automobile.  Heavy industry, what heavy industry it's all in China.

Need to tell Mother Nature not to do anything rash. :wacko:

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

So he needs to convince the average American to give up the automobile.  Heavy industry, what heavy industry it's all in China.

Need to tell Mother Nature not to do anything rash. :wacko:

You start with public transportation.....

Increasing public transportation and taking away the stigma of public transportation--a stigma that you don't have in Europe and Asia.

If you've got a problem,

you don't have to approach it in an extreme manner.

But people who do approach problems in an extreme manner are not too serious about solving them.

• TopBilled changed the title to The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation