Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation

• TopBilled changed the title to The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation
12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:)

Haven't seen it yet, but I hope it passes.  Depending upon what is in it, it will be close in both Houses.  Also, not sure they can actually require states to comply except in federal elections (president and US house and senate).  Of course, most states simply adopt the rules out of simplicity.

The previous Voting Rights Act only applied to a few states, primarily in the South, not the entire nation.  Might have been a few national things in it, but not much.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Haven't seen it yet, but I hope it passes.  Depending upon what is in it, it will be close in both Houses.  Also, not sure they can actually require states to comply except in federal elections (president and US house and senate).  Of course, most states simply adopt the rules out of simplicity.

The previous Voting Rights Act only applied to a few states, primarily in the South, not the entire nation.  Might have been a few national things in it, but not much.

If the Dems didn't work with the GOP to get this passed,   such legislation will just further convince reasonable conservative that what the nut-case conservative said was true: Now that the Dems have power they will make it impossible for conservatives to get elected,  using the power of the Federal government.

Oh,  well, as I said before,  elections have consequences and in many ways reasonable conservatives deserve what is coming since few were willing to counter the crazy Trumpers and far right GOPers.     But even for optics it would have been better if the Dems \ Biden worked with Romney,  Liz Cheney,  etc... on such a bill.     Same goes for Biden's immigration plans.    

It is going to be tough sledding for Biden to get his immigration policies approved in Congress. Obama had two full years of both the House of Representatives and the Senate under democratic control and he could not get his immigration goals/policies passed.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If the Dems didn't work with the GOP to get this passed,   such legislation will just further convince reasonable conservative that what the nut-case conservative said was true: Now that the Dems have power they will make it impossible for conservatives to get elected,  using the power of the Federal government.

Oh,  well, as I said before,  elections have consequences and in many ways reasonable conservatives deserve what is coming since few were willing to counter the crazy Trumpers and far right GOPers.     But even for optics it would have been better if the Dems \ Biden worked with Romney,  Liz Cheney,  etc... on such a bill.     Same goes for Biden's immigration plans.    

I am cautiously optimistic that Schumer and company will present the bill and then get with McConnell, Romney, Cheney, etc. to reach a compromise.

A look inside Biden’s Oval Office

President Donald Trump’s light gold drapes have been replaced with a different, darker shade of gold that hung in President Bill Clinton’s Oval Office. The dark blue rug was also in the office during the Clinton administration.

Gone are the flags of branches of the military that Trump displayed behind the Resolute Desk. Biden has installed an American flag and another with a presidential seal.

Also removed was the portrait of former President Andrew Jackson that Trump hung in his office. Trump and Jackson both ran as populists, and Jackson was the first president to be directly elected and he proposed ending the electoral college.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/nation/oval-office-joe-biden-redesign-20210120.html

• Thanks 1
On 1/19/2021 at 6:07 PM, NipkowDisc said:

does it mean from now on election nite is to be followed by 72 hours of mail-in vote counting?

:P:lol:

Aaah, what's the matter here, Nip?

Don't you think the more people who get involved in our election process the better? And, that it could better reflect what is called "The Will of The People" after election results have been tabulated, and regardless how many hours it might take to tabulate them?

Yep, I'm talking about all those people who usually don't involve themselves in this process and even though they always had a legal right to do so, but did so in this past election because they found it a little easier and more convenivent to participate in this past election's balloting and thanks primarily to more localities throughout this nation instituting the mail-in balloting process. And which btw, we've had in place here in the state of Arizona for many many years, and which has resulted in but a minuscule of cases which could even remotely be called "fraudulent" over those many many years.

(...oh...wait...that's right...you're one of those people, namely a Republican, who for obvious and pretty much bald-faced reasons think the more people like that who get involved in this sort'a thing is a bad idea, aren't you...never mind then)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Trump supporters rally at Michigan capitol on Wednesday,  According to reports, 4 people showed up.

A supporter of former President Donald J. Trump outside the Michigan Capitol in Lansing on Wednesday.

Hey! I think a little music might be in order here.

(...and so, would somebody now please cue up Bobby Vinton's "I'm Mr. Lonely") 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Biden says we must end this uncivil war!

I totally agree we must get back to old school when wars were civil.

JAG-Civil-War.jpg

:P

Hmmm...I dunno, ham.

Wasn't THIS an integral part of fat boy's "Make American Great Again" plan???

(...and of which the only thing it really ever succeeded in was getting that flag you see over there on the left side of this painting being waved inside the Capitol Building for the first time ever!)

LOL

4 hours ago, noah80 said:

A look inside Biden’s Oval Office

President Donald Trump’s light gold drapes have been replaced with a different, darker shade of gold that hung in President Bill Clinton’s Oval Office. The dark blue rug was also in the office during the Clinton administration.

Gone are the flags of branches of the military that Trump displayed behind the Resolute Desk. Biden has installed an American flag and another with a presidential seal.

Also removed was the portrait of former President Andrew Jackson that Trump hung in his office. Trump and Jackson both ran as populists, and Jackson was the first president to be directly elected and he proposed ending the electoral college.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/nation/oval-office-joe-biden-redesign-20210120.html

4 busts of American Heroes were called for by President Biden to be placed in the Oval Office--

Martin Luther King jr.,

Rosa Parks,

Bobby Kennedy and

Cesar Chavez.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, fxreyman said:

It is going to be tough sledding for Biden to get his immigration policies approved in Congress. Obama had two full years of both the House of Representatives and the Senate under democratic control and he could not get his immigration goals/policies passed.

Obama was not white.

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Obama was not white.

Obama was as white as he was black.    But of course you know that.     

Anyhow,  I assume you believe it should be easier to get other whites to vote for immigration reform by a white guy over a non-white guy.

Could be, who knows.   But Obama didn't pass immigration reform during his first term in office because he wanted to be re-elected.   Remember during his first term he deported more illegal immigrants than previous Presidents (by far),  and IMO had a sound moderate immigration policy.

It wasn't until Obama was a lame-duck that he changed course going too-far left on immigration (IMO).

As for Biden;   what he has proposed  (which I find too generous to illegal immigrants) will never get passed since moderate Dems in Congress will not support it.   But Biden is good at making deals so hopefully reasonable immigration reform will get passed.    

• Thanks 1