Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I disagree.  To me you're the one that is mixed-up.   Today,  the inverted racism rarely comes from whites,  but instead people in one of the other sub-groups.  In the case of Tiger Woods and Obama that was the African-American community.    These sub-groups desire (if not demand),   famous people to self-identify as their PRIMARY group their sub-group.     They will ask lame questions like "are you ashamed of being XYZ,,,, well,  if not,,, why don't you say your that instead of mixed-raced?,,".    I.e.  they use guilt to try to get one to self-declare their sub-group as being the PRIMARY sub-group.  

My mom still does this:  why don't you tell people you're Japanese????    Uh,  mom,  because I'm mixed-race.    Oh, I don't believe you,,, it is because of Pearl Harbor!

I do agree with your last line about primitive tribalism,  but since you're white,  you view this from that perspective, instead of the perspective of a mixed-raced person.

PS:  you used the term "they".   The "they" being discussed here is the media,  it appears the "they" you are discussing is the GOP \ American conservatives as it relates to Harris.

I didn't say that whites or blacks exclusively were the perpetrators of the racism, just that it existed. Maybe racism is too strong a word for what we are discussing, anyway. Yes, members of one's own group can expect others in the group to conform to stereotypes. That even comes down to issues related to the way one speaks. 

On the "biology" front, I know people who've had DNA tests which inform them that they have strands of certain ethnic or racial groups that they had no idea about. Such people (at least the ones I know) take pride in the new knowledge, and proclaim their newly discovered genes as part of their heritage.

I had my first Covid vaccine earlier this week. I had to fill out a form which included questions about my racial group. Then, there was a question asking if I was Hispanic. I suspect a person with one Hispanic parent (or even one Hispanic grandparent) would respond affirmatively to that. After all, particularly in a science/medical based document, one's group may inform one's susceptibilities related to diseases and vaccines/medications. That's why people who are Black or even have Black heritage may receive different medications for high blood pressure. 

51 minutes ago, Swithin said:

On the "biology" front, I know people who've had DNA tests which inform them that they have strands of certain ethnic or racial groups that they had no idea about. Such people (at least the ones I know) take pride in the new knowledge, and proclaim their newly discovered genes as part of their heritage.

We have a common understanding;  I would say that with most people racism is too strong a term.   Instead with most people I have encounter,  I view "this" as ethnic \ racial \ cultural pride gone overboard.    

Funny but most of the people I know when informed they have strands of certain ethnic or so-called-racial groups say the the test-must-be-flawed.

E.g.  My wife's friends and relatives from Bari Italy:    Bari was invaded by Islamic countries \ empires and it was a large slave trading center.     When  I first met her godmother's family and doing research on the history of Bari,   I joked that they must have some Islamic background (based on their features).    I  stopped doing that because the godmother was offended. Well 25 years later the godmother's  niece gets for Christmas one of those DNA test.     The large extended family circle is sitting for their typical Sunday Italian-in-CA feast (one of the perks of getting married!),  and the niece says "hey,  Zizi (aunt in Italian),    the results say we have Islamic heritage.    The godmother says, No-way and goes into the kitchen.   My wife gave me the-look,  and I knew to keep my mouth shut!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

We have a common understanding;  I would say that with most people racism is too strong a term.   Instead with most people I have encounter,  I view "this" as ethnic \ racial \ cultural pride gone overboard.    

Funny but most of the people I know when informed they have strands of certain ethnic or so-called-racial groups say the the test-must-be-flawed.

E.g.  My wife's friends and relatives from Bari Italy:    Bari was invaded by Islamic countries \ empires and it was a large slave trading center.     When  I first met her godmother's family and doing research on the history of Bari,   I joked that they must have some Islamic background (based on their features).    I  stopped doing that because the godmother was offended. Well 25 years later the godmother's  niece gets for Christmas one of those DNA test.     The large extended family circle is sitting for their typical Sunday Italian-in-CA feast (one of the perks of getting married!),  and the niece says "hey,  Zizi (aunt in Italian),    the results say we have Islamic heritage.    The godmother says, No-way and goes into the kitchen.   My wife gave me the-look,  and I knew to keep my mouth shut!

It's odd that they would say "Islamic heritage," because they don't account (as far as I know) for religion, unless it's an ethnic-based religion. For example, I did a DNA test (Y chromosome only) through the Genome Project several years ago. I'm Jewish, Ashkenazi, with Diaspora grandparents and great grandparents from Russia. But the DNA test picked up that my background was from the Northern Fertile Crescent, perhaps around Jericho.

It did say that my haplogroup was shared with various groups, and gave the percentages: Jews, Iranians, Italians, Spaniards, Greeks, Turks, Kurds, etc. The highest incidence is among the Ingush, a predominantly Sunni Moslem group in the Caucuses. 

I did like the fact that, for me, the test bore out the family tradition and gave me scientific evidence that my people did come from the "Holy Land," despite the fact that my name would not have given them a hint.

A Puerto Rican friend of mine did the same test and got that his people originated in Spain and France. Again, this is just Y chromosome stuff.

35 minutes ago, Swithin said:

It's odd that they would say "Islamic heritage," because they don't account (as far as I know) for religion, unless it's an ethnic-based religion. For example, I did a DNA test (Y chromosome only) through the Genome Project several years ago. I'm Jewish, Ashkenazi, with Diaspora grandparents and great grandparents from Russia. But the DNA test picked up that my background was from the Northern Fertile Crescent, perhaps around Jericho.

It did say that my haplogroup was shared with various groups, and gave the percentages: Jews, Iranians, Italians, Spaniards, Greeks, Turks, Kurds, etc. The highest incidence is among the Ingush, a predominantly Sunni Moslem group in the Caucuses. 

I did like the fact that, for me, the test bore out the family tradition and gave me scientific evidence that my people did come from the "Holy Land," despite the fact that my name would not have given them a hint.

A Puerto Rican friend of mine did the same test and got that his people originated in Spain and France. Again, this is just Y chromosome stuff.

Sorry,  I misspoke:   I used the term "Islamic heritage" since that is the term used on Wiki related to Bari's history.    I don't know what term the actual makers of the test used.    The niece used the term Muslim,   but I suspect she did that just to cause waves with her Catholic family (she was having a lot of fun with this).    My assumption is that the "test" provided a group like you said;  e.g.  Turks, and that since these people have a high percentage of Muslims,  the niece just used "Muslim".      Bari was invaded by the Turks often,  similar to Sicily,  and it wouldn't be uncommon for a southern Italian,  especially one on the east facing Italian coast,   to have Turkish ancestors.      

• Like 1
22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for the one-drop-rule;   the most classic current examples don't even need one-drop;   That would be Elizabeth Warren and the white woman that grew up in an African-American household that claimed to be African-American.    There wasn't even ONE drop in the case of these two!

The point being that today, there is positive creed,  by claiming to be mixed-raced.     

A nephew of mine once had a girlfriend whose family came here from Egypt when she was very little.  And as Egypt IS located on the African continent, she gets a kick out of claiming that SHE TOO, is African-American.  ;)   I guess one could make that hair spitting argument.

And as for the "claiming to be mixed race" thing.....  Mixed with WHAT?

HUMAN and  what other race?  :huh:

And THAT'S the ONLY race to which we ALL belong.  And when we start thinking in that  way all these tiring discussions of "race" , which is merely judging PEOPLE by their origins of ancestry  will thankfully be seen as the  pointless waste of time and effort they are and  properly cease.  

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

A nephew of mine once had a girlfriend whose family came here from Egypt when she was very little.  And as Egypt IS located on the African continent, she gets a kick out of claiming that SHE TOO, is African-American.  ;)   I guess one could make that hair spitting argument.

And as for the "claiming to be mixed race" thing.....  Mixed with WHAT?

HUMAN and  what other race?  :huh:

And THAT'S the ONLY race to which we ALL belong.  And when we start thinking in that  way all these tiring discussions of "race" , which is merely judging PEOPLE by their origins of ancestry  will thankfully be seen as the  pointless waste of time and effort they are and  properly cease.  

Sepiatone

Race exists as a social and political construct.        Now I wish this construct  of "race" didn't exist,   but  it does.    Until O.J. I was in the color-blind camp;   I.e. I just wouldn't recognize the concept.     But O.J.  changed all that since my white friends all became "white" the  day O.J.  drove down the 405 and they "required" I take a stand (I.e. acknowledge I was a member of their group).    This faded after a while,  but Obama caused my friends to kick up the concept again,  and Trump sealed the deal.   

16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:(

And there is another "legacy" that Trump has left us.  The length of time it will take to reverse what he did.  And it is not just in the areas mentioned, but transportation, education, agriculture and every other agency.

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, ElCid said:

And there is another "legacy" that Trump has left us.  The length of time it will take to reverse what he did.  And it is not just in the areas mentioned, but transportation, education, agriculture and every other agency.

Yes,  years to reverse these poor decisions and decades more the damage they did to the environment.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

A nephew of mine once had a girlfriend whose family came here from Egypt when she was very little.  And as Egypt IS located on the African continent, she gets a kick out of claiming that SHE TOO, is African-American. 

When I lived in West Hollywood, my neighbors were a very nice black couple. I would have dinner with them and hang out on movie sets with them, since they were both working actors.

He had grown up in the ghetto of Oakland, California. And she was the daughter of a tribal leader in Ethiopia. They were a beautiful couple and I have never forgotten them.

She was an African-American and he was an an American-African. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

When I lived in West Hollywood, my neighbors were a very nice black couple. I would have dinner with them and hang out on movie sets with them, since they were both working actors.

He had grown up in the ghetto of Oakland, California. And she was the daughter of a tribal leader in Ethiopia. They were a beautiful couple and I have never forgotten them.

She was an African-American and he was an an American-African. 

And here in the United States they both are just Americans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Odd, since you use the African-American term more than anyone else on this forum.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I believe she still retained her Ethiopian citizenship. 

Some people enjoy dual citizenship so they are Americans as well as subjects of other nations.

My point was that the expression "African American" is usually applied incorrectly. A black person born and raised in the U.S. would technically be an American African. Just like I am American Scots-Irish.

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I believe she still retained her Ethiopian citizenship. 

Some people enjoy dual citizenship so they are Americans as well as subjects of other nations.

My point was that the expression "African American" is usually applied incorrectly. A black person born and raised in the U.S. would technically be an American African. Just like I am American Scots-Irish.

Guess that makes me English-American or American-English.

Either that or the info is only mentioned on obscure news sources that most people ignore anyway.  After all, not everybody is on faceBook and Twitter.  OR seek out "Live from Mom's basement" news shows.  ;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

So how do you import tweets? I've never done that before.

Pointers would be most appreciated.

You just past the link to the tweet, and the board software will embed the tweet content.  For instance, for the tweet attached to your question, the URL is https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1356805766129278979

If you just paste the link in, the default action is to embed the tweet.  Otherwise, you can select to display the URL text instead (which is what I did here).

22 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

You just past the link to the tweet, and the board software will embed the tweet content.  For instance, for the tweet attached to your question, the URL is https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1356805766129278979

If you just paste the link in, the default action is to embed the tweet.  Otherwise, you can select to display the URL text instead (which is what I did here).

Thanks so much.

I will try one now, to see if I succeed:

https://twitter.com/ialhusseini/status/1358870517395034112?s=20

Okay, I don't think I did it correctly. 

Why is it only posting the link and not the tweet/photo I wanted to show (which was Biden with one of his dogs)...?

What am I doing wrong?