Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation

From Reuters--

Canada's Trudeau says he looks forward to working with Biden on climate change

LONDON (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday he looked forward to working with U.S. President-elect Joe Biden on climate change and other shared economic issues, but their immediate focus would be dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Trudeau told a conference hosted by the Financial Times that over the past four years Canada had been able to renew its free trade agreement with the United States “even with an American president who was - is - a little bit unpredictable and protectionistic”.

“I look forward to being able to talk with the new president about climate change, about some of our priorities but my job is to work with whomever Americans elect and we’ve been able to do it for the past four years, we will continue to do it for the coming years,” said Trudeau, adding he had confidence in the U.S. election process.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I would caution against people making McConnell a new "foe" or "villain." The country won't heal if we're too busy trying to stage the next boxing match.

One of the reasons I had been decidedly apolitical most of my adult life is because in college I realized the American political system is horrendously two-dimensional. There are more than two sides to things but people are so ingrained to think good-bad, black-white and Republican-Democrat in our country. And our media plays into it. I honestly think it's because a large percentage of Americans are not college-educated, so our political process has a high school mentality. And I find that an impediment to our progress as a whole.

Good sentiments, but the worst offenders are the college educated.  Most, if not all, elected officials are college graduates with some having advanced degrees.  

As for McConnell, he is not a new foe or villain.  He has been one since he became majority leader.  Just look at what he did starting day one of the Obama presidency and in particular his actions on federal judgeships.  His total, absolute hypocrisy on the Supreme Court appointments is proof that he is the villain and will continue to be one.

Would not surprise me if McConnell holds up all judicial appointments that Biden tries to make and delays other appointments as long as he can.  Fortunately Biden probably learned from Trump that he can make acting heads without going through McConnell.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, HIGHWAY said:

“Higher education in America should be a right for all, not a privilege for the few,” Sanders said. “If we are to succeed in a highly competitive global economy and have the best-educated workforce in the world, public colleges and universities must become tuition-free for working families and we must substantially reduce student debt.”

We need to concentrate on funding K-12 which is declining - or in some cases being defunded?  How in the world are  the more expensive colleges be funded if we can't provide adequate funding for K-12?

A college degree improves but doesn't guarantee a job.

Statistics August 11, 2020......Around 53% of recent college graduates are unemployed or underemployed. The unemployment rate for bachelor's degree holders in the US is 2.1%

55 minutes ago, hamradio said:

We need to concentrate on funding K-12 which is declining - or in some cases being defunded?  How in the world are  the more expensive colleges be funded if we can't provide adequate funding for K-12?

A college degree improves but doesn't guarantee a job.

Statistics August 11, 2020......Around 53% of recent college graduates are unemployed or underemployed. The unemployment rate for bachelor's degree holders in the US is 2.1%

America has become obsessed with the need for a college degree.  Every job does not require one which is why you have so many people with four year degrees working side by side with people with high school degrees.  I have known several recent college graduates who ended up doing this.

We need to focus on high schools preparing students for jobs that do not require a technical school, much less a four year college degree.

There is also the problem of who will pay for it.  Not to mention the fact that higher education costs have exploded way, way beyond anything that is reasonable.

The other problem is so many jobs requiring four year degrees that used to just require a high school diploma and a few weeks or months of OJT.  I am not saying technical education beyond HS is not a good thing either, but a four year degree?  Most "technical colleges" in S.C. offer more college transfer programs than they do actual skill training.  They have abandoned their purpose.

If college becomes "free," millions will see it as an opportunity to NOT get a job and just avoid working for four or more years.  There are many, many majors that do not relate to actual jobs upon graduation.

• Like 1

3 snapshots from a 1940's cartoon  short....how some things haven't changed.

Segment called "Broken Dreams"

ld1.png

Unemployment Office

ld2.png

Exit....Department of Sanitation worker.

ld3.png

Sorry for blurry images but you should get the message.

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

3 snapshots from a 1940's cartoon  short....how some things haven't changed.

Segment called "Broken Dreams"

ld1.png

Unemployment Office

ld2.png

Exit....Department of Sanitation worker.

ld3.png

Sorry for blurry images but you should get the message.

Have you got some illustrations for the high school dropout who ends up blowing himself up in a meth kitchen?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Have you got some illustrations for the high school dropout who ends up blowing himself up in a meth kitchen?

Thanks. 

I don't go along with these supposed statistics about college-educated people and employment. We ALL go through periods of heavy work and light work.

But having a degree means you took the time to study certain disciplines in life and you can think critically. People without degrees typically have to be told what to think (political media I am talking about you) and how to do things.

My degrees plural liberated me. Especially my first one, which was a Bachelor of Arts in Cinema-Television and Broadcast Journalism. 

My undergraduate studies and my Catholicism are the two things that define me most after my birthplace and family.

I feel sorry for people who did not go beyond 12th grade or did a semester in a junior college and dropped out. I am not being a snob, because I do appreciate workers who take on jobs as cashiers, cooks, day porters, etc. but I know they are often at a disadvantage intellectually and financially. I've seen it too many times to believe otherwise.

• Thanks 1

I too have multiple degrees, but I think it's unwise to paint with a broad brush.

True, having an education can afford one more opportunities, but it's not a guarantee.  Conversely, not having a college degree is not necessarily a bar to success in life (if one measures success by your job or income, which, IMO, is only one component of the definition of success in life).  There are creative, successful people without college degrees, and they aren't/weren't in low-paying jobs.

• Matt Mullenweg (founder of WordPress)
  • Mark Zuckerberg
  • David Karp (founder of Tumblr)
  • Pete Cashmore (founder of Mashable)
  • Daniel Ek (founder of Spotify)
  • Evan Williams (co-founder of Twitter)
  • Bill Gates
  • Richard Branson
  • Steve Jobs
  • Steve Wozniak
  • Henry Ford
  • Michael Dell
  • Walt Disney

You'll note many of these are in technical fields where you might expect some type of degree would be needed.

I'm not advocating that people shouldn't attend college or drop out (many of the above attended some college, but did not finish), if they have the desire and aptitude to get a degree.  But we shouldn't pigeon-hole those who don't, either. 

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I too have multiple degrees, but I think it's unwise to paint with a broad brush.

True, having an education can afford one more opportunities, but it's not a guarantee.  Conversely, not having a college degree is not necessarily a bar to success in life (if one measures success by your job or income, which, IMO, is only one component of the definition of success in life).  There are creative, successful people without college degrees, and they aren't/weren't in low-paying jobs.

• Matt Mullenweg (founder of WordPress)
  • Mark Zuckerberg
  • David Karp (founder of Tumblr)
  • Pete Cashmore (founder of Mashable)
  • Daniel Ek (founder of Spotify)
  • Evan Williams (co-founder of Twitter)
  • Bill Gates
  • Richard Branson
  • Steve Jobs
  • Steve Wozniak
  • Henry Ford
  • Michael Dell
  • Walt Disney

You'll note many of these are in technical fields where you might expect some type of degree would be needed.

I'm not advocating that people shouldn't attend college or drop out (many of the above attended some college, but did not finish), if they have the desire and aptitude to get a degree.  But we shouldn't pigeon-hole those who don't, either. 

Many of those on the list cornered the market on a particular niche (Bill Gates - computer software, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak - a computer system).  Not everyone with a degree(s) will become a billionaire or even a millionaire).

Personally long as I live comfortably  (no need for food, shelter, clothes), I'm content.  I don't covet the almighty dollar (it will never love you back).

Maybe a contributing reason I'm in reasonably good health, don't pop antacids, have high blood pressure from over working.

Here's one that amuses me:

Republicans begin to treat Biden like a president-elect amid Trump's refusal to concede

Ledyard King, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON – Prominent and powerful Republicans are signaling that Joe Biden should be treated as the next preident even as they continue to support President Donald Trump's refusal to concede as he mounts legal challenges in several states.

Without declaring him the winner, several GOP senators, including seven-term senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, now say they see no issue with Biden receiving the same daily intelligence briefings Trump is getting.

The briefings are provided to presidents and incoming president-elects so they can make decisions about ongoing national security issues as soon as they take office.

Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., went further Wednesday, saying he'll try to force Trump administration officials to share the information with the former vice president if they continue to deny him.

“If that’s not occurring by Friday, I will step in,” said Lankford, who sits on the Homeland Security panel.

On Thursday morning, Grassley said he had "no problem" letting Biden have access to the briefings. Several other GOP senators quickly followed suit, including some of the president's most ardent allies on Capitol Hill such as Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, who chairs the Homeland Security panel, Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley.

And Florida GOP Sen. Marco Rubio said he's not opposed to letting the Biden team have access to some governmental funding or recognition traditionally afforded an incoming administration.

"We need to have that contingency in place," Rubio told Bloomberg News  "I don't think allowing the (General Services Administration) to move forward on some of the transition work prejudices in any way any of the legal claims the president intends to make."

GOP senators' public declarations that Biden be at least allowed to participate in different aspects of the transition while Trump's challenges play out is a small but significant shift in tone from party officials who have been careful not to exhibit disloyalty to the president.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Here's one that amuses me:

Republicans begin to treat Biden like a president-elect amid Trump's refusal to concede

Ledyard King, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON – Prominent and powerful Republicans are signaling that Joe Biden should be treated as the next preident even as they continue to support President Donald Trump's refusal to concede as he mounts legal challenges in several states.

Without declaring him the winner, several GOP senators, including seven-term senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, now say they see no issue with Biden receiving the same daily intelligence briefings Trump is getting.

The briefings are provided to presidents and incoming president-elects so they can make decisions about ongoing national security issues as soon as they take office.

Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., went further Wednesday, saying he'll try to force Trump administration officials to share the information with the former vice president if they continue to deny him.

“If that’s not occurring by Friday, I will step in,” said Lankford, who sits on the Homeland Security panel.

On Thursday morning, Grassley said he had "no problem" letting Biden have access to the briefings. Several other GOP senators quickly followed suit, including some of the president's most ardent allies on Capitol Hill such as Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, who chairs the Homeland Security panel, Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley.

And Florida GOP Sen. Marco Rubio said he's not opposed to letting the Biden team have access to some governmental funding or recognition traditionally afforded an incoming administration.

"We need to have that contingency in place," Rubio told Bloomberg News  "I don't think allowing the (General Services Administration) to move forward on some of the transition work prejudices in any way any of the legal claims the president intends to make."

GOP senators' public declarations that Biden be at least allowed to participate in different aspects of the transition while Trump's challenges play out is a small but significant shift in tone from party officials who have been careful not to exhibit disloyalty to the president.

Now if they will do something about the GSA administrator's refusal to provide funding and space for the transition.

• Thanks 1

An interesting article posted this morning on npg.org:

Biden Wants Census to See 'Invisible' Groups: LGBTQ, Middle Eastern, North African

As the incoming Biden administration prepares for office, the Census Bureau is already looking ahead to changes for the 2030 count.

While Biden's transition team has not announced any specific policies yet for the next once-a-decade tally of the country's residents, the president-elect's campaign has previewed what could end up on the new administration's agenda. They include ideas that gained steam during the Obama administration but stalled after President Trump took office.

Biden will direct federal agencies to "improve their collection efforts, including enhancing demographic information around race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability status," Jamal Brown, the national press secretary for the Biden-Harris campaign, told NPR in a statement before the election.

Here are two specific policy proposals that could change how LGBTQ people and people with roots in the Middle East or North Africa can identify themselves for the next census and future federal surveys, and could give policymakers and researchers better insight into the U.S. population.

Census questions about sexual orientation and gender identity

One proposal by the Biden campaign would require the Census Bureau to gather voluntary information about people's sexual orientation and gender identity through its census forms and survey questionnaires — a policy that Vice President-elect Kamala Harris supported as a senator.

There are currently no reliable national-level data about how many LGBTQ people live in the U.S., and that, many public policy experts say, makes it difficult to know whether the government is fully meeting the needs of LGBTQ groups. A change on this year's census form is expected to generate the most comprehensive demographic information to date about same-sex couples who live together in the U.S., but other LGBTQ groups, including transgender and non-binary people, will be left out.

I'm afraid I don't really understand all this "needs of LGBTQ groups" thing.  If they're already tax paying American citizens, then they should already be given the same constitutional rights and considerations that all other tax paying American citizens are afforded.  Any representatives in any state or federal capacity that works to deny them those rights should be considered performing acts of sedition and removed from office.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'm afraid I don't really understand all this "needs of LGBTQ groups" thing.  If they're already tax paying American citizens, then they should already be given the same constitutional rights and considerations that all other tax paying American citizens are afforded.  Any representatives in any state or federal capacity that works to deny them those rights should be considered performing acts of sedition and removed from office.

Sepiatone

I see it as broadening inclusion.

Is there a reason you are singling out the LGBTQ groups in your question, instead of making your question about Middle Eastern groups and North African groups?

Btw, and regarding this whole "healing the nation" thing that Biden is now saddled with.

Sorry folks, but this isn't going to happen, and ya know WHY?

Well, it's because there are SO damn many dyed-in-the-wool Trump supporters in this country who are SO freakin' clueless that they're using the excuse that "Biden doesn't deserve it because he, the Democratic party AND the mainstream media 'hated' him SO much that they didn't allow him to do his job."

MAN, can you freakin' BELIEVE these damn people and the "logic" they're using and how THEY can't seem to get it through THEIR damn heads that it was DONALD freakin' TRUMP, a man who PERSONIFIED  the very word "hate" and aggressively introduced it at an accelerated rate into the political realm, AND who because from day one didn't show ANY damn signs of civility, being able to listen to others and THEIR points-of-view and a whole host of OTHER other negative behaviors which he exhibited while in office, IS the very damn reason why HE doesn't and never did "deserve" any respect...PERIOD!!!!

(...I swear to God...the lack of understanding, and ESPECIALLY the lack of understanding the concept of LOGICAL & CRITICAL THINKING, sure seems like it's dwindling as fast in this country as is the coming day when we thankfully will no longer be hearing of and reading of Donald Trump sending HIS DISRESPECTFUL damn little tweets from the Oval Office SO often filled with hateful language)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TopBilled changed the title to The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation