Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation

4 minutes ago, hamradio said:

We need to get back to the old fashion Greek democracy, let's vote on everything - the majority rule.  For the minorities, tough. :wacko:

True.  IF US went strictly by democracy rules, probably half of  the African-Americans in state legislatures and US House would be out of office.  Their districts were intentionally drawn so that an African-American would be elected.  Under a true democracy, districts would be determined based strictly on population in a geographically cohesive area.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ElCid said:

This is a republic, not a democracy to be precise.

As I understand it, the voters in the United Kingdom do not elect the Prime Minister.  They elect the majority party and the "leader" of that party chosen by that parties members becomes the Prime Minister. 

The spirit of our Republic is  Democracy and that is how we as Americans generally view it.

I have a degree in political science, so I don't think you need to remind me how government works.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

The spirit of our Republic is  Democracy and that is how we as Americans generally view it.

I have a degree in political science, so I don't think you need to remind me how government works.

Congratulations, my BA is in American History with a minor in political science.  Actually majored in PS for two years until I figured out it was too much BS and very little science.  In graduate schools I took political science courses as electives.

12 minutes ago, hamradio said:

We need to get back to the old fashion Greek democracy, let's vote on everything - the majority rule.  For the minorities, tough. :wacko:

Now ham. WHY would you now offer such a blantantly extreme and obviously unworkable in a modern country filled with millions of times more people than the ancient Greek city states "alternative suggestion" here???

(...and besides the fact that you're once again erroreously attempting to say that the election of a President by popular vote somehow would equal "the tyranny of the majority over the minority"...there is absolutely NO correlation which can be reasonably or logically drawn between the two...PERIOD!)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Congratulations, my BA is in American History with a minor in political science.  Actually majored in PS for two years until I figured out it was too much BS and very little science.  In graduate schools I took political science courses as electives.

I had enough time as an undergraduate to also get a degree in French-- the French have a most interesting government because they combine both the American system of the presidency with the Parliamentary system you find in the UK thanks to De Gaulle.

And in graduate school I decided to look for a profession, so I studied journalism.

But I imagine, your main profession has been the military and you must have some kind of educational degree in military science or that sort of thing.

40 minutes ago, ElCid said:

This is a republic, not a democracy to be precise.

As I understand it, the voters in the United Kingdom do not elect the Prime Minister.  They elect the majority party and the "leader" of that party chosen by that parties members becomes the Prime Minister. 

Yes, the British Prime Minister is chosen by the victorious political party who among those superfluous 'u' spellers over there they find to be the most "favourable" to them.

(...and then of course you have their now mostly ceremonial Her Majesty the Queen, who I understand is a pretty nice girl but she doesn't have a lot to say and changes from day to day...well, according to a couple of lads from over there, anyway)

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

When we ignore the popular presidential vote in the United States, we ignore

--not just the will of the majority--

but also our fundamental belief in Democracy.

Exactly. That's why I said in another thread they are becoming anarchists and they are now fundamentally un-American.

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes, the British Prime Minister is chosen by the victorious political party who among those superfluous 'u' spellers over there they find to be the most "favourable" to them.

(...and then of course you have their now mostly ceremonial Her Majesty the Queen, who I understand is a pretty nice girl but she doesn't have a lot to say and changes from day to day...well, according to a couple of lads from over there, anyway)

The "Royal" family has no power.  Their JOB again?

A job? What's a job?

5f2ad0c524381701bd5b6f78?width=1100&form

;)

2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Who is "they?"

I think you know who They are. They sit behind Them and Those Other Ones. And the only idea They will come up with on their own is to try to get Their Clown to run for election again in 4 years.

They will say if Grover Cleveland could do it then so can our Orange Haired Bozo. Yes They. They will say This. 

It is They from the No Longer United States of Amerika.

I think my style as a writer is now one third Dr. Seuss, one third Maya Angelou and one third Gore Vidal.

You have to write like Dr. Seuss with a lot of repetition to get through to the lunkheads. You have to write like Maya Angelou if you are going to capture the heart of the people. And you have to write like Gore Vidal if you are going to make any intelligent sense.

And then you have to write your grocery list like you normally would write any old boring thing.

3 minutes ago, hamradio said:

A job? What's a job?

;)

That job is looking good.

And this is an old photo, but we can rest assured that they look a lot better today --

Since the very pretty Princess Diana gave them some of her DNA and her youngest son Prince Harry Married a beautiful American actress.

All those recessive traits from Queen Victoria and her children just sometimes don't go together so well together or have good results. LOL

14 minutes ago, hamradio said:

A job? What's a job?

;)

I would say their "job" now days is primarily being a symbol of tradition AND being examples of the continuation of civility to their subjects.

(...in other words, concepts which Fat Boy Donny has never grasped nor never will)

On the subject of the Royals--

A woman I work with, named Laine, was born in Britain. She has dual citizenship and at this point has spent more years in the U.S. She's a cousin of Diana and the Spencers. She worked in programming for the Royal Air Force and that is how she met her husband, a U.S. military official. She came to the U.S. after they were wed and had two kids here. The marriage broke up but she stayed in Arizona.

Anyway, we had a lively discussion a few days ago because I told Laine that I read interesting things about two very different British women.

One. Joan Collins. She claims she is a monarchist and supports the royals.

Two. Tracey Ullman. Became a U.S. Citizen and complained about paying money in England for the Royals, just so they could act better than everyone else.

But when you think about it, in the U.S. we all pay for the White House and its occupants who sometimes act like they are better (Trump AND Michelle Obama come to mind). 

My coworker Laine got upset because she did not like the Tracey Ullman comment at all, since she's related to the Royals. She went on to tell me how much good William and Megan do on behalf of charities (which I think is true). And she also said Fergie gets slammed unfairly in the press on both sides of the pond but that Fergie is a good person. As Diana's cousin, she definitely had harsh words about Camilla. She said the British people put up with Camilla but they will never accept her, since Diana remains in their hearts (which I think is also true).

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

But when you think about it, in the U.S. we all pay for the White House and its occupants who sometimes act like they are better (Trump AND Michelle Obama come to mind). 

My coworker Laine got upset because she did not like the Tracey Ullman comment at all, since she's related to the Royals. She went on to tell me how much good William and Megan do on behalf of charities (which I think is true). And she also said Fergie gets slammed unfairly in the press on both sides of the pond but that Fergie is a good person. As Diana's cousin, she definitely had harsh words about Camilla. She said the British people put up with Camilla but they will never accept her, since Diana remains in their hearts (which I think is also true).

Well TB, I'll tell ya what I won't put up with.

When people put the NO class Donald Trump's name in the same sentence with that of the classy Michelle Obama's.  

(...and regardless if they both might "act better than the rest of us" at times, and considering that in Trump's case particularly, there is NO manner in which he is nor can be NOR ever exhibited he's "better than the rest of us" in any way, shape or form)

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think my style as a writer is now one third Dr. Seuss, one third Maya Angelou and one third Gore Vidal.

You have to write like Dr. Seuss with a lot of repetition to get through to the lunkheads. You have to write like Maya Angelou if you are going to capture the heart of the people. And you have to write like Gore Vidal if you are going to make any intelligent sense.

And then you have to write your grocery list like you normally would write any old boring thing.

Gore Vidal was my favorite writer in high school. Our high school library had every book that he had written.

"The City and the Pillar" was the first one I read and then "Washington DC" and others.

But most of all I loved to watch him debate William F Buckley on ABC-TV News.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well TB, I'll tell ya what I won't put up with.

When people put the NO class Donald Trump's name in the same sentence with that of the classy Michelle Obama's.  

(...and regardless if they both might "act better than the rest of us" at times, and considering that in Trump's case particularly, there is NO manner in which he is nor can be NOR ever exhibited he's "better than the rest of us")

NOTICE how I said they "sometimes" act better than others. I don't think Michelle Obama was entirely self-absorbed though she's had her moments. And occasionally Trump does act like a human being. NOTICE how I said "occasionally." :) 

Since we've mentioned Michelle Obama...let's talk about first ladies for a minute.

I think my favorite first lady (during my lifetime) has been Laura Bush. I'm not referring to politics but how this particular woman maintained balance, poise and seemed strong in her own right but supportive of her spouse.

I don't know anything about Biden's wife Jill Jacobs. I see that Biden's first wife died in 1972.

41 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

On the subject of the Royals--

A woman I work with, named Laine, was born in Britain. She has dual citizenship and at this point has spent more years in the U.S. She's a cousin of Diana and the Spencers. She worked in programming for the Royal Air Force and that is how she met her husband, a U.S. military official. She came to the U.S. after they were wed and had two kids here. The marriage broke up but she stayed in Arizona.

Anyway, we had a lively discussion a few days ago because I told Laine that I read interesting things about two very different British women.

One. Joan Collins. She claims she is a monarchist and supports the royals.

Two. Tracey Ullman. Became a U.S. Citizen and complained about paying money in England for the Royals, just so they could act better than everyone else.

First I've got to agree with Dargo about putting Michelle Obama any place near trump's name. LOL

I was in England actually London at the time of the engagement of Princess Diana to Prince Charles, so I watched the whole thing unfold.

For whatever reason, Prince William ,The Heir, is siding with the Queen and all they stand for, while Prince Harry is going the way of his mother and what she stood for.

It's interesting to see how all that developed over the years.

How the Queen and Buckingham Palace really did despise Princess Diana, yet all they have now and all they'll ever have in the future  what's given to them by Diana.

You have only to look at the difference in character between Diana's two sons and the Queen's Sons to see the difference.

My first strong memory of Prince Harry is him walking behind her casket and with that bouquet of flowers that he left for his mother on the casket.

I hope that Prince Harry finds the freedom from the royal family that Princess Diana was searching for.

10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

NOTICE how I said they "sometimes" act better than others. I don't think Michelle Obama was entirely self-absorbed though she's had her moments. And occasionally Trump does act like a human being. NOTICE how I said "occasionally." :) 

Yes, and notice my wordage used earlier when I said, "...and regardless if they both might 'act better than the rest of us' at times" if you will.

(...and thus signifying that, yes, I suppose I can agree that Mrs. Obama could/can occasionally come across as such)

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Yes, and notice my wordage used earlier when I said, "...and regardless if they both might "act better than the rest of us at times" if you will.

(...and thus signifying that, yes, I suppose I can agree that Mrs, Obama could/can occasionally come across as such)

In terms of former first ladies, I feel Michelle Obama's personality is closest to Nancy Reagan. Where there was this regal sometimes cold but still appealing persona. Eventually Nancy softened, especially after her Ronnie died, and by the end Nancy was very beloved.

Michelle Obama often seemed like she was struggling to hold on to her own identity during their years in the White House and that she was not ever able to fully conform to a more traditional view of what a first lady had historically been expected to do.

Of course Hilary was not a traditional first lady either.

It will be interesting to see how Biden's wife is received.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Since we've mentioned Michelle Obama...let's talk about first ladies for a minute.

I think my favorite first lady (during my lifetime) has been Laura Bush. I'm not referring to politics but how this particular woman maintained balance, poise and seemed strong in her own right but supportive of her spouse.

I don't know anything about Biden's wife Jill Jacobs. I see that Biden's first wife died in 1972.

I was fortunate enough to see exactly how difficult a position the First Lady is when I saw what happened on November 22nd and the succeeding days.

The power and the courage of Jacqueline Kennedy will always be the standard that will mark that unofficial office of First Lady. 

Also if you could have seen how Lady Bird Johnson conducted herself and the kind of pressure that was put on her and she did all that was required

-- you might start to realize that sometimes that unofficial job is one of the most important jobs in the United States. And that it's a lot more than ceremonial.

Currently we've seen a failure in this unofficial position along with a failure in the presidency.

But the hope for the future remains bright.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I was fortunate enough to see exactly how difficult a position the First Lady is when I saw what happened on November 22nd and the succeeding days.

The power and the courage of Jacqueline Kennedy will always be the standard that will mark that unofficial office of First Lady. 

Also if you could have seen how Lady Bird Johnson conducted herself and the kind of pressure that was put on her and she did all that was required

-- you might start to realize that sometimes that unofficial job is one of the most important jobs in the United States. And that it's a lot more than ceremonial.

Currently we've seen a failure in this unofficial position along with a failure in the presidency.

But the hope for the future remains bright.

I don't have any specific opinions about Melania Trump. I guess because she doesn't offend me or annoy me like her husband does...so she gets a free pass from me!

I was too young to know much about Betty Ford, but learning more about her years later, I think she was definitely an interesting First Lady.

22 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

,,,I hope that Prince Harry finds my freedom from the royal family that Princess Diana was searching for.

Yeah well, lets just hope Prince Harry remembers to always buckle up HIS seat belt when he's in a car.

(...suuure, maybe more than little "Oooooh my, REALLY?!" of a thought here, but accurate just the same, and so I'm stickin' with it!)

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

In terms of former first ladies, I feel Michelle Obama's personality is closest to Nancy Reagan. Where there was this regal sometimes cold but still appealing persona. Eventually Nancy softened, especially after her Ronnie died, and by the end Nancy was very beloved.

Michelle Obama often seemed like she was struggling to hold on to her own identity during their years in the White House and that she was not ever able to fully conform to a more traditional view of what a first lady had historically been expected to do.

Of course Hilary was not a traditional first lady either.

It will be interesting to see how Biden's wife is received.

Have you overlook the fact that Michelle Obama had the extra added burden of being the first black First Lady?

• TopBilled changed the title to The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation