Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I don't have any specific opinions about Melania Trump. I guess because she doesn't offend me or annoy me like her husband does...so she gets a free pass from me!

I was too young to know much about Betty Ford, but learning more about her years later, I think she was definitely an interesting First Lady.

No birther gets a free pass with me.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Have you overlook the fact that Michelle Obama had the extra added burden of being the first black person lady?

Yes, of course, but some of the other women had burdens too. I just cannot excuse some of Michelle Obama's actions. 

I have friends like this, where one half of the couple I love, and the spouse/significant other sort of grates on my nerves. Of course you accept them as a "package deal." LOL

You can be sympathetic up to a point, but ultimately it is how the person projects their issues (or deflects them selflessly) that wins you over. Michelle Obama never won me over. I don't go out of my way to dislike her. But I am not a fan of hers, sorry to say.

Let's keep the democratic oligarchy we've always had. Of course Athenian democracy only allowed a

minority of residents to participate. What's the big deal about the British royals? Anyone can be a

parasite. Easiest job in the world. 

• Haha 1

From Simon Lewis at Reuters:

Biden urges safe Thanksgiving amid pandemic; Trump pardons ex-aide Flynn

WILMINGTON, Del. (Reuters) - President-elect Joe Biden pleaded with Americans on Wednesday to take steps to remain safe over the Thanksgiving holiday as COVID-19 cases soar, while President Donald Trump pardoned a former aide who twice pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI.

Biden gave a presidential-style speech acknowledging people’s fatigue with restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic, but urged them to exercise caution as caseloads surge.

“I know the country has grown weary of the fight. We need to remember - we’re at war with the virus, not with one another,” Biden said as he urged Americans to forgo the type of big family gatherings normally associated with Thursday’s holiday, wear protective masks and maintain social distancing.

The Democratic former vice president again said he would take immediate steps to address the coronavirus pandemic when he takes office on Jan. 20. During the campaign, Biden accused Trump, a Republican, of panicking and surrendering in the face of a public health crisis.

Shortly after Biden spoke, Trump pardoned his former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who had pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his contacts with the former Russian ambassador in Washington.

From NPR an hour ago:

Biden Gains Votes In Recount Of Milwaukee County Requested By Trump

President Trump's push to overturn the election results suffered another defeat in a series of defeats on Friday — this time in Wisconsin, where officials in the state's most populous county announced a recount had added to President-elect Joe Biden's lead. Albeit slightly: Out of the 460,000 ballots cast in Milwaukee County, Biden made a net gain of 132 votes on review.

The results offer unwelcome news for Trump, who lost to Biden in Wisconsin by about 20,000 votes and lost the national popular vote by more than 6 million.

The Trump campaign paid the Wisconsin Elections Commission a fee of $3 million to proceed with recounts in Milwaukee and Dane counties. The two counties, which together account for roughly a quarter of the state's population, swung heavily for Biden with 69% and 75% of the vote, respectively.

Dane County is expected to wrap up its own recount by the end of the weekend.

Trump and his allies have repeatedly and baselessly claimed that widespread fraud decided the election for his rival — not just in Wisconsin, but also in other battleground states such as Pennsylvania and Michigan. Those claims have not held up in court, however, and Trump's legal setbacks have mounted in recent weeks.

33 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Yup,.........a TRUE Moderate  ;)

Joe and Jill Biden set to bring new cat to the White House

The cat will join the Biden family's two German shepherds as the newest White House pets.

I found another article about this, which I am planning to post tomorrow morning.

But it's nice to have the story mentioned by you as well.

From The Guardian:

Dogs and cats living together: Joe Biden says feline will join White House pets

Uniting Democrats and Republicans is one thing, but Joe Biden will reportedly embrace a far more formidable challenge when he inherits the White House early next year: bridging the chasm between the nation’s cat people and dog lovers.

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 6.19.16 PM

The new first family is already set to include two german shepherds, Champ and Major, who will accompany the 46th US president and his wife Dr Jill Biden to Washington DC upon his 20 January inauguration.

Now, in what appears to be another stride towards attempting to unite a fractured nation, the Bidens have revealed they will be bringing a cat with them too, meaning the People's House will again become something of a pet’s house.

he news was teased in a tweet by CBS Sunday Morning ahead of a weekend episode in which the program says the Bidens will reveal more details. Dr Biden previously hinted at the possibility in September when a Washington TV presenter asked her if her husband had promised to get her anything if he won the election.

“Well, I’d love to get a cat,” she said. “I love having animals around the house.”

The most famous “first cat” in recent years was Socks, an adopted stray who lived with Bill and Hillary Clinton at the White House from 1993 to 2001, and whose growing popularity drew ire from one fiery Republican who questioned the spending of federal dollars on a “feline fan club”.

Clinton’s successor, George W Bush, had three dogs and a cat named India, while Barack Obama had two portuguese water dogs, Bo and Sunny.

Donald Trump, meanwhile, is reportedly the first US president since James Polk in 1849 not to have a pet while in office, claiming that he wouldn’t mind having a dog, but that he would have no time for one. “How would I look walking a dog on the White House lawn?” he said.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Only the naive would think otherwise.

The elite always eat at the same trough.

But that did not stop the mainstream media from criticizing the Vietnam War policy. Nor did it stop the Washington Post from exposing Watergate.

Elites are naturally going to come together in a capitalistic society-- basically run by oligarchs--

but American journalism at a high-level still comes through at times-- otherwise our system would be intolerable for the average person.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

The elite always eat at the same trough.

But that did not stop the mainstream media from criticizing the Vietnam War policy. Nor did it stop the Washington Post from exposing Watergate.

Elites are naturally going to come together in a capitalistic society-- basically run by oligarchs--

but American journalism at a high-level still comes through at times-- otherwise our system would be intolerable for the average person.

Yep. It's been going on for centuries. The MSM is not perfect, but some part of it usually gets the job done.

It's certainly more trustworthy than the nutjob conservative networks. And while both parties are much 

too beholden to corporations, there are still enough differences between them in other areas to see they

aren't the same.The Supreme Court is just one example. 

• Like 1

19 minutes of Jimmy is a bit too much for me. I just hope he didn't use the same hair dye as Rudy.

I don't watch Rachel Maddow so I don't know about her Russian shtick. Most people can figure

out that Putin is a nogoodnik on their own.

From Reuters:

Biden transition kicks into gear, as Trump acknowledges dwindling legal options

WILMINGTON, Del. (Reuters) - President-elect Joe Biden is expected to unveil his picks for several top economic positions as early as Monday when he will also finally receive his first classified intelligence briefing, an essential step towards taking control of national security.

While Biden’s transition to the White House appeared to be hitting its stride, the president-elect was hobbling after fracturing his foot while playing with his dog on Sunday.

The incoming administration has been hampered for weeks by President Donald Trump who has refused to concede claiming, without evidence, that Biden’s Nov. 3 electoral victory was due to fraud.

Biden was expected to name leading members of an economic team that will have to combat the crushing blows to U.S. workers and businesses from the coronavirus pandemic.

In contrast to Trump, who largely picked white men for key positions, Biden’s early appointments were shaping up to be highly diverse, including an all-women communications team unveiled on Sunday night.

Biden was expected to announce Janet Yellen, who was the first woman to chair the Federal Reserve, as his Treasury secretary, and Adewale Adeyemo, who would be the first Black deputy Treasury secretary.

Other members of his economics team are expected to be announced include Neera Tanden, chief executive of the progressive Center for American Progress think tank, as director of the White House Budget Office, who would be the first woman of color to lead that agency, Reuters and other media outlets reported. 

Brian Deese, who helped lead Obama’s efforts to bail out the automotive industry during the 2009 financial crisis, will head the National Economic Council, the New York Times reported on Sunday, sparking some criticism from progressives for his ties to Wall Street.

Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris were also set to receive their first classified presidential daily briefing on Monday, which the Trump administration had previously refused to provide. The briefing is the first step toward transfer of responsibility for the most sensitive intelligence to a new administration.

• TopBilled changed the title to The triumph of President Joe Biden and healing the nation