Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE ESSENTIAL MOVIES ON CERTAIN SATARS, please choose your own?

(*-Indicates an Oscar winner)  

I wanted other marvelous TCM-ITES to vote & list your top 4 or 5 ESSENTIAL FILMS of any star you want?

(SEE WHAT I MEAN IN SOMEONE'S SEAN CONNERY POST)

EXAMPLE>

SPENCER TRACY (l900-1967) ^ (his top four best or favorite of mine motion pictures of his 74)>

1/, CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (l937) (M-G-M) (The Great Spencer Tracy won his 1st of 2 consecutive Best Actor Oscars here as Manuel Fedillo, upsetting Paul Muni as Zola that year & also from his diary he ranked this & Judgment at Nuremberg his best pictures)

2.  INHERIT THE WIND (l960) (UA) (filmed at Universal studios in Burbank, California this unforgettable true life account of the 1923 Scopes Trial. Remade for tv a couple of times with Jack Lemmon vs George C. Scott  in 1988 & before that for tv w/Kirk Douglas vs. Jason Robards  (P.S. Shirley MacLaine recently included this among her top movies in her own Desert Island picks)

3.  BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK (l955) (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) (MGM first wanted Alan Ladd as John J. McCreedy here. Nobody has yet tried to remake this perfect filming  &yet another of Tracy's all 9 leading actor nods. (P.S. Closest they have come to a remake was a tv episode of tv's Cannon starring William Conrad)

& 4th Essential Tracy choice by me  FATHER OF THE BRIDE (M-G-M) (most know this was remade in 1991 w/Steve Martin & it's sequel in '95)  & sequel to this peerless comedy was 1951's nice (***) FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND

& my candidate to the finest TRACY & HEPBURN film is-(out of 9 together) 1950's superb comedy ADAM'S RIB 

• Like 1

& my Essential NATALIE WOOD (l938-8l)  (Out of approx   46 theatrical ones & 4 for tv      Russian & was only 5'0)

1. The Searchers (l956) (WB's)

2. Miracle on 34th Street (l947) (20th Century Fox)

3. Rebel Without a Cause (l955) (Warner Bros.) (her 1st shot at an Oscar, but for s. actress?)

& 4th  Splendor in the Grass (l96l) (Natalie was robbed of the Best Actress Gold here as Deanie, not only her own favorite role, but the name of the yacht she tragically owned & died off of on Nov. 29th, 1981 was named after her role SPLENDOUR)

Close behind 1965's Inside Daisy Clover

& her AMPAS nominations & or wins>

1st Rebel without a Cause (see above)

2nd Splendor in the Grass

3rd Love With the Proper Stranger (l963) (opposite my boyhood idol Steve McQueen (l930-l980)

& almost a 4th shot w/Daisy Clover  matter of fact entire cast & crew were certain she'd not only earn another nod but would go onto win Best Actress)

18 minutes ago, spence said:

(*-Indicates an Oscar winner)  

I wanted other marvelous TCM-ITES to vote & list your top 4 or 5 ESSENTIAL FILMS of any star you want?

(SEE WHAT I MEAN IN SOMEONE'S SEAN CONNERY POST)

EXAMPLE>

SPENCER TRACY (l900-1967) ^ IRISH & was 5'10 & 1/2  (his top four best or favorite of mine motion pictures of his 74)>

1/, CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (l937) (M-G-M) (The Great Spencer Tracy won his 1st of 2 consecutive Best Actor Oscars here as Manuel Fedillo, upsetting Paul Muni as Zola that year & also from his diary he ranked this & Judgment at Nuremberg his best pictures)

2.  INHERIT THE WIND (l960) (UA) (filmed at Universal studios in Burbank, California this unforgettable true life account of the 1923 Scopes Trial. Remade for tv a couple of times with Jack Lemmon vs George C. Scott  in 1988 & before that for tv w/Kirk Douglas vs. Jason Robards  (P.S. Shirley MacLaine recently included this among her top movies in her own Desert Island picks)

3.  BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK (l955) (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) (MGM first wanted Alan Ladd as John J. McCreedy here. Nobody has yet tried to remake this perfect filming  &yet another of Tracy's all 9 leading actor nods. (P.S. Closest they have come to a remake was a tv episode of tv's Cannon starring William Conrad)

& 4th Essential Tracy choice by me  FATHER OF THE BRIDE (M-G-M) (most know this was remade in 1991 w/Steve Martin & it's sequel in '95)  & sequel to this peerless comedy was 1951's nice (***) FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND

& my candidate to the finest TRACY & HEPBURN film is-(out of 9 together) 1950's superb comedy ADAM'S RIB 

& FRANK SINATRA (l9l5-98) Sicilian & was 5'8 & 1/2 (& my choices as THE CHAIRMAN'S ESSENTIAL MOTION PICTURES)  (out of 58)>

1. SOME CAME RUNNING (l958) (M-G-M) (Many others like this as his best of his 58, including Martin Scorsese, who also lists this among his overall favourite's of all-time)

2. *FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (l953) (Columbia Pictures) (swept 8 GOLDEN BOYS' including his for s. actor as Maggio (TRIVIA: Originally Columbia Mogul Harry Cohn wanted Aldo Ray as Robert E. Lee Prewitt in Monty Clift's role & Eli Wallach as the famed Maggio)

& my top four of THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARDS

1st choice  SOME CAME RUNNING (for many yrs & until her Oscar sweeping 1983 *TERMS OF ENDEARMENT S. MacLaine choice her nommed role in this as her own fav.) probably not his best, just my own favorite

2.  FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (l953) (remade for tv in 1981 as a mini-series w/Natalie Wood, William Devane, Steve Railsback, Joe Pantaliano & Peter Boyle)

3.  THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (l962) (remade only fairly (**1/2) many yrs later w/Denzel Washington & Meryl Streep) ( '62 version is utterly  a superb thriller by John Frankenheimer)

and 4th Essential pick  THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (l955) (UA) (He snagged his 2nd & final nomination here & with another dynamite score by Elmer Bernstein  Frank always though tthis his finest hour of acting)

(HONORABLE MENTION) 1954's SUDDENLY (United Artists) (He was robbed of what woulda eventually be his 3rd nod) (Here he played an all out villian & his finest performance in mu humble opinion)

and his Academy Award noms & wins>

1953's FROM HERE TIO ETERNITY (won Best Supporting Actor Gold)

l955's MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (snagged his only 2nd & final shot at THE GOLDEN BOY for this terrific & heavy drama)

20 minutes ago, spence said:

1 minute ago, spence said:

& FRANK SINATRA (l9l5-98) Sicilian & was 5'8 & 1/2 (& my choices as THE CHAIRMAN'S ESSENTIAL MOTION PICTURES)  (out of 58)>

1. SOME CAME RUNNING (l958) (M-G-M) (Many others like this as his best of his 58, including Martin Scorsese, who also lists this among his overall favourite's of all-time)

2. *FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (l953) (Columbia Pictures) (swept 8 GOLDEN BOYS' including his for s. actor as Maggio (TRIVIA: Originally Columbia Mogul Harry Cohn wanted Aldo Ray as Robert E. Lee Prewitt in Monty Clift's role & Eli Wallach as the famed Maggio)

& my top four of THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARDS

1st choice  SOME CAME RUNNING (for many yrs & until her Oscar sweeping 1983 *TERMS OF ENDEARMENT S. MacLaine choice her nommed role in this as her own fav.) probably not his best, just my own favorite

2.  FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (l953) (remade for tv in 1981 as a mini-series w/Natalie Wood, William Devane, Steve Railsback, Joe Pantaliano & Peter Boyle)

3.  THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (l962) (remade only fairly (**1/2) many yrs later w/Denzel Washington & Meryl Streep) ( '62 version is utterly  a superb thriller by John Frankenheimer)

and 4th Essential pick  THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (l955) (UA) (He snagged his 2nd & final nomination here & with another dynamite score by Elmer Bernstein  Frank always though tthis his finest hour of acting)

(HONORABLE MENTION) 1954's SUDDENLY (United Artists) (He was robbed of what woulda eventually be his 3rd nod) (Here he played an all out villian & his finest performance in mu humble opinion)

and his Academy Award noms & wins>

1953's FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (won Best Supporting Actor Gold)

l955's MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (snagged his only 2nd & final shot at THE GOLDEN BOY for this terrific & heavy drama)

If Bing earned 3 noms & Frank only 2 & Francis was a better actor overall, he also shoulda snagged 3 as well=-(see above)

2 hours ago, LiamCasey said:

At the risk of derailing this topic, I read "SATARS" and first thought "SAYTRS?" Which would definitely put a different spin on things. 🤦‍♂️

Well, then we have to get into the definition of Fauns vs. Satyrs, and which Certain ones.

(And that's okay, you can derail them after their engines have gone 'round the bend...)

• Like 1