Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek (1940-2020)

33 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

This is so sad.  Alex Trebek was the host of Jeopardy for many years and an Icon.  I remember when he hosted TCM Spotlight On Africa.  He had been to several TCM Classic Film Festivals and on TCM Classic Cruises.  He and Robert Osbourne were really great friends.  They’re probably together in heaven right now.  He also surprised him at the TCM Classic Film Festival for the 20th Anniversary.  Remember and what else did he do here at TCM?  Was he a TCM Guest Programmer?  I think everything he did here at TCM should be included as part of a tribute to him this year after the Holidays and Christmas.  If they decide to pay tribute to him.  He will really be missed.  We all really loved him a whole lot.  Didn’t we?  RIP Alex.  We all really love you a whole lot and we’ll all really miss you a whole lot.

Alex was on the TCM Classic Cruise in 2013, as was I.  He was there among the numerous other celebrities, including Debbie Reynolds,  Norman Lloyd, Arlene Dahl, Sally Ann Howe, Mickey Rooney, and fellow Canadian Rich Little.   I have many fond memories of Alex and getting the chance to speak with him, if only briefly - Here are some photo highlights - He  was also on the 2016 cruise which, unfortunately, I had to miss - Farewell, Alex !  You were the GOAT !!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.soGNOWYzrlB67M064hHK8gHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1WELCOME TO HELL ~ by Glenn Walker: TCM Cruise 2014Sue Cameron: CARIBBEAN CRUISE ANTICS

Turner Classic Movies to set sail aboard newly-updated ...Trivia with Alex Trebek - TCM Classic Cruise 2016 - YouTubeTurner Classic Movies to set sail aboard newly-updated ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok.  Thanks for the info.  The other day I was actually thinking who could be the new host of Jeopardy and it’s alright if People disagree with me.  I think Drew Carey would be a great replacement and new host for Alex Trebek.  He could speak for him and pay tribute to him too and he hosted Power Of 10 and took over for Bob Barker and became the new host of The Price Is Right on CBS.  So I think he would be a great replacement for Alex Trebek and new host of Jeopardy too.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-alex-trebek-temporary-replacement-announced-003027109.html

Alex Trebek's short-term replacement announced by 'Jeopardy!'

Alex Trebek’s death Nov. 8 from pancreatic cancer left a gaping hole on Jeopardy!, the game show he been the heart, soul and face of since he began hosting it in 1984.

The show announced Monday that its come up with a short-term plan to move forward without him: “a series of interim guest hosts from the Jeopardy! family — starting with Ken Jennings.”

One of the most recognizable names in the Jeopardy! universe, Jennings holds the record for the longest winning streak on the show (74 games!). He also took first place in the Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time tournament in January.

Additional guest hosts will be announced later. No word if they will include Jennings’s fellow competitors on the GOAT tournament, Brad Rutter and James Holzhauer; fan favorite LeVar Burton; news man George Stephanopoulos; or any others who’ve been mentioned as potential replacements.

Mike Richards, the show’s executive producer noted that Trebek had always “wanted the show to go on after him.”

After the news broke, Jennings humbly commented, “There will only ever be one Alex Trebek, but I’m honored to be helping Jeopardy! out with this in January.”

Trebek taped enough shows to air through Dec. 25. However, Jeopardy! will air 10 of Trebek’s best shows during the weeks of Dec. 21 and Dec. 28, so the final ones he hosted will move to the week of Jan. 4. It’s unclear which date Jennings will first appear to deliver clues.

Jeopardy! isn’t the only game show Jennings will appear on in the early days of 2021. He’s set to appear alongside Rutter and Holzhauer — two other big fans of Trebek — on a new ABC game show, The Chase, when it premieres Jan. 7.

• Thanks 2

Sorry, DAVE......

Drew was a good replacement for Barker, and The Price Is Right is more suitable a game show for him to host.  But JEOPARDY?

I've always considered it to be MORE than just a mere "game show".  So any new host would need to be more than just a mere game show host( as was Alex).  

So far, using past big winners from the past seems like a good idea.

Sepiatone

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

This year's Jeopardy! Thanksgiving message from Alex Trebek (aired Nov 26th.)

Truly a class act to the very end.

(...as the old saying goes, and the very personification of)

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, David Guercio said:

If Alex Trebek is part of the memoriam at the end of the month after the Holidays and Christmas?  What do you think they’ll do?

I don't understand your question.  Alex is part of the TCM Remembers Trubute it's been airing all week on TCM. what is your question ? Who is they and do about what? Are you asking about a host for Jeopardy? Ken Jennings will be the host starting  January, 11 until they decide who will be the replacement for Alex. Not sure if that's what you're asking about.

12 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I don't understand your question.  Alex is part of the TCM Remembers Trubute it's been airing all week on TCM. what is your question ? Who is they and do about what? Are you asking about a host for Jeopardy? Ken Jennings will be the host starting  January, 11 until they decide who will be the replacement for Alex. Not sure if that's what you're asking about.

I took the question to mean if there's going to be anything about Alex Trebek on the day TCM sets aside in late December to show films of prominent stars who have passed away in that particular year.  With 81 people featured in this year's "TCM Remembers" year-end tribute, there's no way they could show films involving all these people in a 24 hour period.  So, in short, the answer would be "no", there probably will not be a feature or anything about Mr. Trebek on the Memoriam Day lineup.  I'd be shocked if there were.  As you said lavenderblue19, Alex was included in the 2020 edition of "TCM Remembers", and like most people here, I'm alright with his inclusion.  He was a big supporter of the station and served as a guest programmer on occasion.  People here were a lot more supportive of him being remembered than some of the comments I saw on YouTube.

I think it would have been awful if Alex hadn't  been included in the TCM Remembers tribute.  I guess those that had a negative comment on Youtube have nothing better to think about. ,Not only was  Alex involved in television for decades, he was a huge supporter of TCM. He was at TCM film festivals and TCM cruises and a friend of RO's. Alex loved classic films. Anyone complaining about his inclusion in the TCM Remembers tribute should have their head and heart examined, because there's a hole in both. Btw, Thanks for the explanation, Midwestern   :)

edited by me

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

The TCM Remembers Tribute was what I meant.  Will he be included as part of the TCM Remembers Tribute?  If so.  What will they do?

The 'TCM Remembers' tribute has been on the air since December 16th.  It lasts about 4:30 and comes on randomly in between airings of movies.  Alex Trebek's picture is shown toward the end of the memorial with a voiceover where he says, "There are a lot of fans out there who love classic films." (or something like that).  There is also a thread here where someone posted the entire video, or you can watch it on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 10:35 PM, Allhallowsday said:

I read that ALEX TREBEK's last filmed episode will air on Christmas Day. 

Obviously, ALEX's last episodes were postponed... TO THIS WEEK STARTING TONIGHT ... the final 5 episodes!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a wonderful comment about the power of kindness and pulling together in order for us all to get past this panademic which Alex gave after being introduced tonight.

Like I said earlier in this thing, the guy personified the concept of "Class".

(...although I STILL can't believe that middle contestant bet $11 Thousand on that Daily Double when he was ahead and then blew it...that cost him the game right there...would have won otherwise)

• 2 months later...