Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where is TCM movie data base ?

Thanks to Topbilling I now can find short subjects  on a monthly schedule and the synopses for a day's film but I from time to time have used the TCMmdb for detailed synopses of various films. Only net page speaks of beta version early in 2020. Is it online anywhere , how to access it ? thanks Stephen

they even have a page for Hot Spell.

"you're nothing but a dumb shirt-tailed kid. you aren't as smart as me! you never will be as smart as me!"

Anthony Quinn als John Henry Duval in Hot Spell (1958) met in de  Hoofdrollen Shirley Booth, Anthony Quinn en Shirley Maclaine. | Anthony  quinn, Quinn, Anthony

HOT SPELL 1958 Shirley Booth, Anthony Quinn, Shirley Maclaine TRADE ADVERT  | eBay

the family that prays together stays together.

Shirley Booth in Hot Spell 1958, with: Anthony Quinn, Shirley MacLaine,  Clint Kimbrough, Earl Holliman | Best supporting actor, Anthony quinn, Old  movies

In the upper right hand corner of the TCM.com homepage, there is a magnifying glass.  Clicking on it will open a search bar.  You can then type in the movie title, or the name of a person.  It will present a menu of options to click on.  Choose the one that is your movie, or person, and it will take you to the TCMdatabase page for it/them.

• Thanks 1

I just compared the Wikipedia synopsis page with that on the TCM data base for The Greatest Show on Earth and the Wiki is better. Neither one points out that Buttons gives up his dog to a girl at the end., that's the kind of plot point that is essential for me. Have a sense that the new synopses are not up to the mark. If so a meaningful loss. I do like the way the channel is showing more lesser known titles. Seems to me the only times the station would roll out obscure pieceswas on on the star of the month times or occasional 30;s bland drawing room dramas and romances. SD

not to nit pick but I see a large amount of material under notes but not anything by the way of buttons under the picture. I like my classification as newbie, I'm about as new to film as Rip Van Winkle was to nap time. 

• Haha 1

Below is a screenshot of the TCM database page for The Greatest Show on Earth (1952):

Untitled.png

You will see under the picture the various links to different parts of the database page for the movie.  One of them is SYNOPSIS.  Click on it and you will get an exhaustive description of the plot.

1 hour ago, Stephen D said:

on my pc the choices are off to the rigt up and down .  Can't say if the new db has shortened synopses other than it looks that way

Just out of curiosity, why are having detailed synopses that important to you? Unless for some reason you want to know as much about a movie before you watch it? Or maybe you are using the synopses for research purposes? There are many other online and printed sources available to you for researching a movie's synopses. Personally I like the way the new TCM pages look. And there is quite a lot of info there available for anyone with a computer to find.

The placement of the "database" menu options (Overview, Synopsis, etc) will vary depending on the width of your browser window/tab.  If it's narrower, the options will run horizontally under the film's main photo.  If your window is wider it will run vertically to the side.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Just out of curiosity, why are having detailed synopses that important to you? Unless for some reason you want to know as much about a movie before you watch it? Or maybe you are using the synopses for research purposes? There are many other online and printed sources available to you for researching a movie's synopses. Personally I like the way the new TCM pages look. And there is quite a lot of info there available for anyone with a computer to find.

Since I made a web page to display all this stuff, I couldn't help but notice there is a disparity in size among different movies in the field AFI/TCM has internally labeled as the "storyline".  While most are limited to about 20 to 30 words and many are limited to about 40 to 100 words, there are some in the upcoming month and a half that far exceed this.

Come Next Spring (1956) has 1238 words.  Also that one drops out the lead characters in the listing.  Rather than list Ann Sheridan, Steve Cochran and Walter Brennan, as IMDB correctly lists, it has Roscoe Ates, Tony Bennett and Walter Brennan.

Ball Of Fire (1942) is 920 words long.  Gaslight (1944) is 1190 words long.  High Society (the Bing Crosby movie) is 1075 words long.  Indiscreet (1958) is 1410 words long.  Bell Book & Candle is 1033 words long.   The Day The Earth Stood Still is 1035 words long.  The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) is 1161 words long.

Now I don't recall if those were all there when I first made my first version of the "new feed" schedule, but looking at it now, it sticks out.  So I added in the "details" HTML tag, which initially only shows an arbitrary 350 characters or about the first 60 words, and then the whole description if you click on it.

My preference would be the short one or two sentence description, as I don't want to read the entire plot.  With it much longer, it is completely useless to me.  I might as well also include a link to IMDB, just so I can see a short 20 or 40 word description.

This sort of looks like two different fields thrown together, or in the process of one being changed out for the other. 

IMDB has two different fields for this.  Sometimes the larger field is just a duplicate of the smaller one, or sometimes the larger one is just blank, but there is usually something in the smaller field.  They definitely have two different fields to accomplish this though.

The detailed synopsis should  contain the information about an animal's death or what does happen . This is missing in The Greatest Show on Earth. I would record a film in which an animal has an important role.