Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shag, Women Make Movies

21 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ohmygawd, Lorna, that looks like so much fun !  I definitely want to watch this movie.

Oh God, I hope there’s no rights issues! (I know you Canadians miss out on a lot of things we get to see on TCM down here in the states)

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HOW THE HELL DO YOU SPELL RHYTHYM ANYHOW????????????

Thank God for spellcheck and googling words to find spelling.  Depresses me that I can't spell very well anymore - maybe never could.

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Thank God for spellcheck and googling words to find spelling.  Depresses me that I can't spell very well anymore - maybe never could.

I’ve genuinely gotten too lazy to google. Not just spelling, but sometimes dates and facts too. 

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ohmygawd, Lorna, that looks like so much fun !  I definitely want to watch this movie.

Notice that the boy is wearing penny loafers.  It was almost mandatory in the 60's that males and females both wore Bass Weejuns penny loafers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i WOULD CLASSIFY THIS AS SHAG/BEACH MUSIC- IN THAT THE REPETITIVE RYTHMS (RYTHMS? RHYTHYMS? ****) make it a great one to shag dance to.

GREAT SONG TOO!

Jackie Wilson  !  Yes !  Listen to Reet Petite and get up and shake it !  (Plus, he's so good-looking !)

• Like 1
22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh God, I hope there’s no rights issues! (I know you Canadians miss out on a lot of things we get to see on TCM down here in the states)

Actually, the sad emoji I put on your post was unwarranted. I checked the Canadian schedule,  and "Shag" is being aired in Canada too.  I really hope I can watch it  (nothing to do with "rights", more about other people in my home wanting to watch something else...)

edit:  sorry, I didn't realize CinemaInternationale had already mentioned about the Canadian schedule.

• Thanks 1

Ok, I know this isn't a music thread.  And I don't want to derail this fun thread. But I can't resist. Since Jackie Wilson has come up in this thread, I cant' resist posting this great tribute song to him by Van Morrison.  Van the Man:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, 

im from Wilmington, NC-  Some of you may know this but there is apparently a program known as “Sister Cities”- Which means that several US cities have foreign counterparts that are considered relatives of a sort. And periodically elected officials from each city will visit. Apparently Wilmington has a sister city somewhere in England.

Growing up it was my privilege to be very good friends with the daughter of OUR MAYOR in the early 1990s. The early 1990s, aka before the Austin Powers movies came out and before the Internet, i.e. a time when pretty much everyone who lived in Wilmington did not realize there was a second meaning for the word SHAG, and it’s not exactly a dance...

THE MAYOR and HIS WHOLE FAMILY went overseas for one such visit to the SISTER CITY IN THE UK. 

Now I really want to make it clear that these are absolutely upstanding people, like genuinely some of the finest people I’ve ever known in my life which makes the story even funnier.

Also if you would like, please picture my friend as Joan Fontaine in “Rebecca.” She didn’t really look exactly like that or necessarily had that exact personality, but just imagine her that way For the sake of the story. 

so

They got to the official reception at the town in England and some very thoughtful, diligent British person was playing beach music. And my friend quite loudly and in front of the entire delegation that came to greet them said, “ oh this is SHAG MUSIC!” At which point the welcoming community reacted like when the word “shrubbery“ is mentioned in Monty Python and the holy Grail.

And then my friend said, “no it’s music you shag to”. And again she got the “ shrubbery!!!”  reaction.
And then just for comedy sake let’s say she also said, “you know like SHAGGING- you know back-and-forth?“

None of them understood why everybody there look like somebody had just unleashed one hell of an egg f a r t. 

I’m not sure if they’re still our sister city anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TO BE FAIR, It's a REALLY HARD ONE TO SPELL!

(I'm a very literate person and I gave up trying years ago.)

[thank you]

As a fellow literate person, I agree that rhythm (took me three times to write that without the red wavy line appearing underneath. Where does the first 'h' go? Where does the "sometimes y vowel" go? ) is a very hard word to spell. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Lorna, looks like you got rhythm.

I don’t tho. 
I have certain talents in my life, but if I was ever able to have a wish granted it would be to have even ONE IOTA of musical talent.

I have NONE. Absolutely none at all. I’m not good at rhyming, I can’t play any instruments, I am literally tone deaf, I can’t dance, I have been asked on more than one occasion to stop singing and never try again (And I was *actually* trying at the time!)

but hey, I have other strong points.

• Like 1

I've loved reading the comments on this movie! Grew up in SC, learned to shag (the dance) though I never was that great at it, love beach music, look back very fondly at every summer as a kid spent at Cherry Grove and Ocean Drive beaches (now North Myrtle Beach)  with my family. And going to Calabash for seafood (yes, there really was - is, still? - a town called Calabash, hardly anything except seafood restaurants, all really good. And the Gay Dolphin, which by my time - late 60s/early 70s - was then about 3 floors tall, packed with the tackiest souvenirs in the world. 

Just a few comments about the music:  I saw Shag soon after it first came out, and have noticed several differences in the songs whenever it's been in a different format, from the VHS to the pay cable version, to dvd version, etc. Looks like there may have been some problems with the song rights, at least according to the line-ups shown in Wikipedia. Also, I was really surprised at the version of Stagger Lee they had in the movie - it's so tamed down! Stagger Lee and Billy getting into a civilized discussion about one stealing the other's girlfriend? Hell no! That song is about a knife fight, and two men gambling in the dark. I know that it went through various changes through the years - amazingly, each sung by Lloyd Price, not just the usual switching to a bland white guy like Pat Boone - but that version was pretty lame. 

And Jackie Wilson, to me, is one of the essentials of beach music, along with the Tams & Billy Ward and the Dominoes.  So, here in all its glory, is one of my very favorite clips ever on YouTube: Jackie Wilson's Higher and Higher, as danced by Rita and Fred!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, essgee said:

I've loved reading the comments on this movie! Grew up in SC, learned to shag (the dance) though I never was that great at it, love beach music, look back very fondly at every summer as a kid spent at Cherry Grove and Ocean Drive beaches (now North Myrtle Beach)  with my family. And going to Calabash for seafood (yes, there really was - is, still? - a town called Calabash, hardly anything except seafood restaurants, all really good.

Yup, there is still a CALABASH, it sits on the water, nice little place.

No word on MRS. CALABASH....Wherever she is....

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don’t tho. 
I have certain talents in my life, but if I was ever able to have a wish granted it would be to have even ONE IOTA of musical talent.

I have NONE. Absolutely none at all. I’m not good at rhyming, I can’t play any instruments, I am literally tone deaf, I can’t dance, I have been asked on more than one occasion to stop singing and never try again (And I was *actually* trying at the time!)

but hey, I have other strong points.

Well, I just couldn't resist the pun or Gershwin allusion or whatever it was. 

Speaking of terrible singing, yours' couldn't be any worse than the poor deluded young woman in Nashville who thought she could sing and wanted to be the next big country music star,  but she was jaw-droppingly abysmal,  her singing was so bad it was kind of impressive,  in its own way.   There's a very sad scene in the film where she thinks she's going to get her big break,  she goes on the stage singing, she's phenomenally bad,  and the audience (almost all men), just get her to strip instead.

Anyway, Lorna, take heart...you may not be able to sing or dance, but you can write !

OK, so I did actually get to watch Shag last night.  And I was not disappointed, it was a fun, entertaining movie, just what I wanted --young women I could root for and relate to,  lots of young people with early '60s clothes and 'dos, dancing, drinking, and generally getting into trouble- But relatively harmless trouble. The most worrying scene is when Bridget Fonda's character has to fight off a near-rape with some goon she's driven off with  (not to victim-blame, but her character is no dummy, and one has to wonder why she put herself in that position, so to speak)  followed by the shellacking (for want of a better word)  the tough girls give her.  Is that whipped cream or shaving cream they douse her with?   However, humiliating and somewhat scary though that is, she's actually not physically harmed at all, and she's rescued by her friend soon after.

Anyway, blah blah....Shag was a lot of fun, it had all  the right ingredients:  a couple of cute love stories,  a wild party,  dancing, young  people misbehaving  (but as I said, not misbehaving too much) , and of course, great music.

I don't know why it isn't more well-known. I'd never heard of it before I saw it promoted on TCM a couple of days ago, and then saw this thread.  It deserves to be just as famous as a "period coming of age" film as American Graffiti and so many others.

I've always liked Bridget Fonda.  Anyone know why she retired from acting at the end of the last century?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BRIDGET FONDA was in a string of misfires- Including the infamous flop MONKEYBONE before quitting acting. Besides that there’s any number of reasons I can imagine why she would’ve wanted to step away from the business, and she doesn’t seem to miss it. It’s been about 18 years since her last appearance in anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just coming out of a 3 day power outage here and I haven't seen it yet...  Someone else recorded it and has passed it along.  With all the talk about "beach music", hopefully it at least has some good scenes, and they better be good.  😁

I think Big Wednesday (1978) was the last beach movie I saw.

A spectacular wind storm came through Sunday and just about cleared the rest of our leaves for us.  Power around here goes out if you just sneeze.  The stability of the grid is about what might be expected for a remote cottage community, except it's not.  Anyhow it is a familiar sight as I drive around during any number of outages to see power company trucks parked and sitting around, just waiting for a part they need to arrive, often from out of state.  "Just-In-Time" supply chain management anyone??  https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

22 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Actually, the sad emoji I put on your post was unwarranted. I checked the Canadian schedule,  and "Shag" is being aired in Canada too.  I really hope I can watch it  (nothing to do with "rights", more about other people in my home wanting to watch something else...)

edit:  sorry, I didn't realize CinemaInternationale had already mentioned about the Canadian schedule.

Click it again, and it goes away.

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

I don't know why it isn't more well-known. I'd never heard of it before I saw it promoted on TCM a couple of days ago, and then saw this thread.  It deserves to be just as famous as a "period coming of age" film as American Graffiti and so many others.

I remember when it came out originally.  It was released by Hemdale, and had a smaller US release (850 theaters) in the middle of the summer season.  As I recall, it made it to the cable services (HBO, etc) rather quickly, as that's where I first saw it.

For comparison, the big movie that year was Batman, which was released in over 2200 theaters.

Like a lot of films, it got lost in the shuffle.  And back in those dark ages, without social media, word of mouth was truly word of mouth.  If the picture didn't get a lot of publicity in teen magazines, People (and the like) or Entertainment Tonight, it could very easily fly under the radar.

There was also a little movie called When Harry Met Sally that was released a week before Shag, and that might have impacted it as well.