Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shag, Women Make Movies

On 11/19/2020 at 8:57 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I saw SHAG in the theater in 1989 with MY GRANDMOTHER.

Beat that. ANY of you.

It’s not a competition but my older brother managed to talk my grandma and three of my great-aunts into taking us to see For Your Eyes OnlyStripes and National Lampoon’s Vacation during summer breaks. Oh and Splash, too. There’d be a minor scandal and then the next year they’d fall for it again.

Time pretty much stopped for them in the 1950s so I’m not sure they knew what an R-rated movie meant. My mom had to talk two of them out of going to see The Shining. Although my grandma was a bit of a wild child, apparently.

I recorded Shag; have a vague memory of the movie when it was released but never saw it. I noticed the flag in the title card while checking my recording but mistakenly thought it was a Union Jack and briefly wondered if the film had something to do with the British Invasion. Then I figured it out. Northerner naïveté, I guess.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, ElCid said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't Fast Times originally a story in Playboy?

I did not know the origin of the Fast Times story, but I just looked it up in Wikipedia and apparently it's based on a book that Cameron Crowe wrote about his time (undercover) in a high school in 1981.  Crowe also wrote the screenplay.

• Thanks 2

I just watched “Shag.” I watched it as a double feature with “Where the Boys Are” (1960).

I loved “Shag.”  First off, it has dancing. Which I love. Shag was like a polite form of “Dirty Dancing.” Then there was a wild “teenagers have the house to themselves, let’s invite people over whom we don’t know” party which I love those scenes. Though who is drinking this jungle juice that people have dipped their hair in? Blech. Then there were dual, interlocking love triangles, which I love. And, there was a beauty contest which was also amazing. If I were Bridget Fonda, I would have been upset with my friend too. She totally could have competed with Miss Confederate Flag bikini. 

Why was Bridget into Elvis-wannabe Jimmy Valentine? He was not cute at all. I loved “Pudge” and Chip. They were adorable. Tyrone Power IV was a spitting image of his father. 

Anyway, I loved this movie and will definitely be adding it to my collection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I did not know the origin of the Fast Times story, but I just looked it up in Wikipedia and apparently it's based on a book that Cameron Crowe wrote about his time (undercover) in a high school in 1981.  Crowe also wrote the screenplay.

I checked on goodreads.com and Crowe wrote the book and then had excerpts in Playboy.  Then came the movie apparently.  I remember reading the excerpts in Playboy.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I just watched “Shag.” I watched it as a double feature with “Where the Boys Are” (1960).

I loved “Shag.”  First off, it has dancing. Which I love. Shag was like a polite form of “Dirty Dancing.” Then there was a wild “teenagers have the house to themselves, let’s invite people over whom we don’t know” party which I love those scenes. Though who is drinking this jungle juice that people have dipped their hair in? Blech. Then there were dual, interlocking love triangles, which I love. And, there was a beauty contest which was also amazing. If I were Bridget Fonda, I would have been upset with my friend too. She totally could have competed with Miss Confederate Flag bikini. 

Why was Bridget into Elvis-wannabe Jimmy Valentine? He was not cute at all. I loved “Pudge” and Chip. They were adorable. Tyrone Power IV was a spitting image of his father. 

Anyway, I loved this movie and will definitely be adding it to my collection. 

I only experience PJ (Purple Jesus) once and that was when I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Bragg, N.C.   There are different recipes, but the one I drank was primarily grain alcohol, grape juice (for the purple) and some other fruit juices.  In  Shag, they used whatever alcohol and juices were on hand.  I think most people substituted vodka for the grain alcohol.  During the mixing the song refers to it as Purple Jesus.

Bridget was into Jimmy Valentine as her ticket to Hollywood.  Later she discovered that he was all show and the real ticket was his agent, so she switched to him.

I discussed Shag with a friend who used to live in Florence, S.C. fairly near Myrtle Beach.  He actually has a video tape of Shag.

Not sure which pavilion they used in the movie (Ocean Drive?), but the one in Myrtle Beach had been torn down by 1989.  When I was growing up, it was basically the center of Ocean Blvd. and where you started out if walking the area.  First floor was mostly open air with arcade type games and activities.  The dancing took place on the second floor.    People I grew up with went to the Pawleys Pavilion in Pawleys Island, S.C. for dancing and drinking.  Very little enforcement of alcohol laws back in 60's and earlier.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, ElCid said:

I only experience PJ (Purple Jesus) once and that was when I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Bragg, N.C. 

On our vacation we left Myrtle Beach a couple of days early to visit Ft Bragg & pay respects to Martha Raye who is interred there. We were surprised to hear trumpet "calls" over loudspeakers while there. Must drive them nuts after awhile.

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

On our vacation we left Myrtle Beach a couple of days early to visit Ft Bragg & pay respects to Martha Raye who is interred there. We were surprised to hear trumpet "calls" over loudspeakers while there. Must drive them nuts after awhile.

I don't recall the trumpet calls, even when I lived on post.  But then again, it is a very large post.  First time there, I worked and lived on post for six months before I even got over to the "division area," which is where the 82nd Airborne Division is located.

Never knew that about Martha Raye and not sure I ever went near the cemetery - or maybe just never noticed it.

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

So Tiki. Any truth to it that Martha Raye is buried very close to Joe E. Brown and near the large mouth of the nearby river there?

(...or was this just another lame joke of mine here?)

Just now, Dargo said:

So Tiki. Any truth to it that Martha Raye is buried very close to Joe E. Brown and near the large mouth of the nearby river there?

(...or was this just another lame joke of mine?)

The river is the Cape Fear, as in the movie.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:37 PM, txfilmfan said:

I remember when it came out originally.  It was released by Hemdale, and had a smaller US release (850 theaters) in the middle of the summer season.  As I recall, it made it to the cable services (HBO, etc) rather quickly, as that's where I first saw it.

For comparison, the big movie that year was Batman, which was released in over 2200 theaters.

Like a lot of films, it got lost in the shuffle.  And back in those dark ages, without social media, word of mouth was truly word of mouth.  If the picture didn't get a lot of publicity in teen magazines, People (and the like) or Entertainment Tonight, it could very easily fly under the radar.

There was also a little movie called When Harry Met Sally that was released a week before Shag, and that might have impacted it as well.

1989 was in many ways the real start of the blockbuster and sequel heavy mentality that has really permeated Hollywood major studio films in the years since, as that particular summer saw Batman, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon, Star Trek, and James Bond all drop sequels in the middle of the summer. (the Bond film flopped in America) Plus you had resurgent Disney courtesy of The Little Mermaid, and Back to the Future part II in November. So yes, I can see where a film like this would have been lost in the shuffle (plus its distributor, the late Hemdale company, was a very tiny company whose films have sadly been mostly forgotten). I missed it the other night but am planning to buy a copy from Amazon or Ebay because it looked so good.

For what it is worth, my ranking so far from 1989, and it definitely gets rough for me at the end.....

ECbmrit.png

wgu4eEd.png

AiIRHCA.png

6EAlyUl.png

On 11/20/2020 at 10:49 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

THERE'S SOME casual homophobia that bothers me and JENNIFER JASON LEIGH has always turned me off as an actress.

It's basically a feature-length AFTER SCHOOL SPECIAL with profanity and a good soundtrack.

And nudity. Although that was toned down before release. Heckerling's original cut of it had full frontal nudity from both Jennifer Jason Leigh and Robert Romanus in their brief love scene (if you want to call it that). It was reduced to just topless nudity after Universal was informed by the MPAA that the film would get an X unless it dropped one of two things: Romanus' nudity or the notorious scene involving sex tips using carrots as a prop. Universal chose to keep in the latter, and the film got an R.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

1989 was in many ways the real start of the blockbuster and sequel heavy mentality that has really permeated Hollywood major studio films in the years since, as that particular summer saw Batman, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon, Star Trek, and James Bond all drop sequels in the middle of the summer. (the Bond film flopped in America) Plus you had resurgent Disney courtesy of The Little Mermaid, and Back to the Future part II in November. So yes, I can see where a film like this would have been lost in the shuffle (plus its distributor, the late Hemdale company, was a very tiny company whose films have sadly been mostly forgotten). I missed it the other night but am planning to buy a copy from Amazon or Ebay because it looked so good.

For what it is worth, my ranking so far from 1989, and it definitely gets rough for me at the end.....

I've seen most of those and there are eight I would watch again.  Have some on DVD.  Driving Miss Daisy won Oscar for Best Picture and Best Actress.

9 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

And nudity. Although that was toned down before release. Heckerling's original cut of it had full frontal nudity from both Jennifer Jason Leigh and Robert Romanus in their brief love scene (if you want to call it that). It was reduced to just topless nudity after Universal was informed by the MPAA that the film would get an X unless it dropped one of two things: Romanus' nudity or the notorious scene involving sex tips using carrots as a prop. Universal chose to keep in the latter, and the film got an R.

Somehow I missed those scenes.  Are they in the TCM version?

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

I've seen most of those and there are eight I would watch again.  Have some on DVD.  Driving Miss Daisy won Oscar for Best Picture and Best Actress.

Yes, and I kind of feel as though Driving Miss Daisy is underrated these days. Its a very good acting showcase. Which are the 8 films you would like to see again?

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Somehow I missed those scenes.  Are they in the TCM version?

Not in Shag. In Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The carrot scene was definitely left in. I'm pretty positive that the negative of the extended nude scene was destroyed because no copies of it have turned up.

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, and I kind of feel as though Driving Miss Daisy is underrated these days. Its a very good acting showcase. Which are the 8 films you would like to see again?

Not in Shag. In Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The carrot scene was definitely left in. I'm pretty positive that the negative of the extended nude scene was destroyed because no copies of it have turned up.

Actually ones I would watch again would be better description.  Indiana Jones, Steel Magnolias, Driving Miss Daisy, Glory, Field of Dreams, The War of the Roses, Fabulous Baker Boys and Christmas Vacation.  I think Morgan Freeman was robbed of a Best Actor Oscar for DMD.

Thanks for the clarification on Ridgemont High.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, and I kind of feel as though Driving Miss Daisy is underrated these days. Its a very good acting showcase.

Me too. it's a good example of good screenwriting- how a series of "slice of life" scenes throughout the lifespan of a couple (which is kinda what Hoke and Daisy are) can reveal a lot.

There is the story and the story beneath the story.

MISS DAISY is a lot like a FOREIGN FILM in that way.

17 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

And nudity. Although that was toned down before release. Heckerling's original cut of [FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH] had full frontal nudity from....Jennifer Jason Leigh

Knowing JENNIFER JASON LEIGH'S propensity for giving up the bush onscreen, I am not in the LEAST BIT SURPRISED.

PREMIERE'S LIBBY GELMAN-WAXNER once mused whether JJL ctually had it included in her contract FOR EVERY MOVIE that she be required have a full frontal scene.

I sometimes wonder if they had to have a tense ON-SET INTERVENTION while filming her 1998(?) remake of THE HEIRESS, WASHINGTON SQUARE, because they just couldn't find the right way to work in a 30-SECOND  beavershot.

If it was JANE EYRE, maybe, but not Henry James....

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Knowing JENNIFER JASON LEIGH'S propensity for giving up the bush onscreen, I am not in the LEAST BIT SURPRISED.

PREMIERE'S LIBBY GELMAN-WAXNER once mused whether JJL ctually had it included in her contract FOR EVERY MOVIE that she be required have a full frontal scene.

I sometimes wonder if they had to have a tense ON-SET INTERVENTION while filming her 1998(?) remake of THE HEIRESS, WASHINGTON SQUARE, because they just couldn't find the right way to work in a 30-SECOND  beavershot.

If it was JANE EYRE, maybe, but not Henry James....

I don't think she does those scenes anymore since she's in her late 50s now, but she did appear in plenty of movies with nude scenes back in the day. Funny you should bring up Libby, I bought the book that collected the Libby columns from 1987 and 1993 the other week on ebay, and it is a frequently hilarious book. Even after Premeire closed up, more of those columns turned up in Entertainment Weekly and The New Yorker on an occasional basis.

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I don't think she does those scenes anymore since she's in her late 50s now, but she did appear in plenty of movies with nude scenes back in the day. Funny you should bring up Libby, I bought the book that collected the Libby columns from 1987 and 1993 the other week on ebay, and it is a frequently hilarious book. Even after Premeire closed up, more of those columns turned up in Entertainment Weekly and The New Yorker on an occasional basis.

I love her review of BRAM STOKERS DRACULA. 

On 11/23/2020 at 6:06 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I love her review of BRAM STOKERS DRACULA. 

I personally liked the one spoofing the Michael Douglas vigilante film Falling Down, where Libby saw it with a friend who went on a haywire crime spree after seeing the film before being carted away by the police after an intervention from the then recently paroled Jean Harris.

• Haha 1