Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Christmas (Kwanza, Chanukah) Movies and TV

Since I eschew alcohol, am tired about reading through posts involving this election (US) - I come to this board to test my memory, find out what people are watching, and just to have some fun while basically sheltering in place.

One Christmas memory I have (I'm Jewish but a paternal aunt isn't and I often celebrated Christmas Eve with them when I lived in NYC) is the Yule Log on TV.

I think my favorite Christmas TV episode was from the Dick Van Dyke Show (it showcased all their talents, including MTM).

Mary Tyler Moore Show also had a good Christmas episode where she had to work on Christmas Eve

Frasier had some good Christmas episodes (especially with snobby Frasier vs. his father Martin over Martin's kitschy Christmas traditions).

For movies, like Alistair Sim's Scrooge, Bill Murray's Scrooged, The Man Who Came to Dinner, Christmas in Connecticut, and White Christmas

A Charlie Brown Christmas is something I've loved since childhood.  

Watched Nutcracker on TV (with Eddie Albert Hosting)

Also remember watching Grinch and Amahl and the Night Visitors

Interested in seeing what others post.  If I have access to it, I may check it out (they do a yule log up in my area too).

• Like 2

Favourite Christmas Movies: Elf, A Christmas Carol (1951), The Muppet Christmas Carol, It’s a Wonderful Life, The Bishop’s Wife, Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Story, Die Hard, Christmas Vacation, Meet Me in St. Louis

Favourite Christmas Specials: Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown, The Snowman (1982), Garfield’s Christmas, A Claymation Christmas, Bugs Bunny’s Christmas Tales, Olive, the Other Reindeer, Emmett Otter, Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol

• Like 2

White Christmas, The Bishop's Wife, Christmas in Connecticut. It Happened On Fifth Avenue, the Edmund Gwenn version of Miracle on 34th Street, Remember the Night,  The Man Who Came To Dinner, It's A Wonderful Life, Home Alone, and Home Alone Lost in NY,  the Alastair Sim version of A Christmas Carol, Come To the Stable and the very rarely shown on TCM,  The Lemon Drop Kid. I never tire of any of these and watch them every year, most more than once.

Oh, forgot All Mine To Give, love this film, Bell, Book and Candle, Holiiday Inn and Grumpy Old Men

• Like 1

I always watch A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  I'll also watch Frosty the Snowman but it isn't a must-see like 'Charlie Brown' and 'Grinch.'

As for Christmas movies, I have a large stack of them that I try to get through each year.  Some I may watch more than once, like my fave White Christmas.

My usual rotation:

White Christmas 

Meet Me in St. Louis (I know Christmas is only a part of this film, but I watch it anyway)

Christmas in Connecticut

Remember the Night

I'll Be Seeing You

Holiday Affair

Susan Slept Here

Holiday inn

Love Actually

A Christmas Story

Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Elf

Trading Places

Grumpy Old Men (This movie bridges the gap between Thanksgiving and Christmas as it features both holidays)

Lady in the Lake

Never Say Goodbye

Edward Scissorhands

The Apartment

Bell, Book and Candle

Bachelor Mother

Meet John Doe

The Shop Around the Corner

The Thin Man (This film bridges the gap between Christmas and New Years)

Desk Set

The Bishop's Wife

The Man Who Came to Dinner

...and if I run out of movies to watch: It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, and Home Alone.  These movies are fine, but they're not absolute must-sees.  I usually don't get through my entire list.  For sure I'll watch my absolute "It's not Christmas without them" titles and everything else is a bonus.  I think I've finally acquired every Christmas title that I want to watch, barring any new discoveries. 

I will also go through all my Christmas TV episodes, like the annual I Love Lucy Christmas Special.  If one doesn't air this year, I have all the past specials that I could watch.  Lately, there's also been an annual Dick Van Dyke Show special, so I'll usually watch that too.

Then there are Christmas episodes of Mary Tyler Moore, The Brady Bunch, Andy Griffith, Golden Girls, and Simpsons to watch. 

• Like 2

J.T. (1969) This is obscure now, but if you're the right age it reflected lives we really lived and was shown every year since it was new in 1969.  I remember this well, and always loving cats, remember it fondly.  Beauty can be anywhere; sometimes it is hard to see.  

Merry Christmas!  Everybody! 

• Like 1

My favorite Christmas movie is probably "Miracle On 34th Street" from 1947.

12 Things You Never Knew About Miracle on 34th Street – SheKnows

I can't think of a Hanukkah movie, other than "Double Holiday" from 2019.

Double Holiday Poster

My favorite Christmas episode of any TV show is "Gabrielle" from "Bonanza".

Bonanza" Gabrielle (TV Episode 1961) - IMDb

Lori

• Like 2

I have to mention REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1939). I love how it goes from the days leading up to Christmas, through Christmas and into the New Year.

It's funny, sad in spots and romantic.

Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray do such a fine job. And so does the supporting cast, particularly Beulah Bondi and Elizabeth Patterson.

And while we're on the subject of Stanwyck, I'm also a huge fan of CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945). Who wouldn't want to wind up with Dennis Morgan...?

Screen shot 2017-12-14 at 12.01.54 PM.png

• Like 1