Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the beginning of the end of tcm

The long so decline of tcm continues.  The most unfortunate and turning point  was of course the passing of robert osborne whose class, great presence and in depth knowledge of the industry marked the beginning of the end of tcm as the pre eminent movie channel.

The decline continued over the years as no singular individual with Osborne's stature was found as good as Ben is and in fairness he does an excellent job. Unfortunately, because he does not have the relationships with artists that Osborne had simply not going back so many years. Viewers were so fortunate to have seen the interviews that Osborne sat with and imparted frankness likely because of their long relationship and high regard that Osborne had in the industry. 

Slowly, tcm has tried to rebuild bringing on new talent to assist  Ben  airing the movies. And as good as some of them are, one feels a void. Robert O never droned on and on when introing a film- he didnt give away the plot- simply imparted interesting background and insights. With that Osborne gave the viewer a real connection to a movie and to tcm. And, Robert O imparted  great modesty in his understated way never for a moment applauding his ways, tcm or any other fellow host.

Now, we are "treated" to a bevy of individuals who boast their greatness, and some who drone on and on and some who border on cry babies ignoring that their job is to intro a movie with good background and insight and simply "get out of the way" for the film.

Late last year, tcm destroyed their website eliminating many great features. If that wasn't enough, the weekly schedule that one could glance through with ease is gone. making it cumbersome to see the full cast and other info.

No doubt the managers of tcm as Ben is feeling pressure to economize and increase earnings for the parent company. And there have been rumors that ads will soon appear although outside of the film's showing on the station.

Nothing is forever, it was a great run while it lasted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

well, they never handled the deal the right way. too much deference to classic crime and gangster films and film noir while consistently ignoring the horror-scifi genre.

they are hordes of films they never even tried to show like the mexican horror movies of abel salazar and German Robles.

they had years and years to put that stuff on and never did.

Shirley Booth only made a handful of movies but they never showed Hot Spell with young up and coming Shirley MacLaine.

the early dino de laurentis peplum Atilla with Anthony Quinn and a young and ravishing drop dead gorgeous Sophia Loren.

never showed that either.

the americanized incomplete unrestored Horror of Dracula instead of the 2012 restored BFI version.

always with tcm it was the cheap route of the slacker instead of the true dedication of the uncompromising cinema aficionado.

now it may be too late.

On 11/17/2020 at 10:48 PM, fred c dobbs said:

The long so decline of tcm continues.  The most unfortunate and turning point  was of course the passing of robert osborne whose class, great presence and in depth knowledge of the industry marked the beginning of the end of tcm as the pre eminent movie channel.

The decline continued over the years as no singular individual with Osborne's stature was found as good as Ben is and in fairness he does an excellent job. Unfortunately, because he does not have the relationships with artists that Osborne had simply not going back so many years. Viewers were so fortunate to have seen the interviews that Osborne sat with and imparted frankness likely because of their long relationship and high regard that Osborne had in the industry. 

Slowly, tcm has tried to rebuild bringing on new talent to assist  Ben  airing the movies. And as good as some of them are, one feels a void. Robert O never droned on and on when introing a film- he didnt give away the plot- simply imparted interesting background and insights. With that Osborne gave the viewer a real connection to a movie and to tcm. And, Robert O imparted  great modesty in his understated way never for a moment applauding his ways, tcm or any other fellow host.

Now, we are "treated" to a bevy of individuals who boast their greatness, and some who drone on and on and some who border on cry babies ignoring that their job is to intro a movie with good background and insight and simply "get out of the way" for the film.

Late last year, tcm destroyed their website eliminating many great features. If that wasn't enough, the weekly schedule that one could glance through with ease is gone. making it cumbersome to see the full cast and other info.

No doubt the managers of tcm as Ben is feeling pressure to economize and increase earnings for the parent company. And there have been rumors that ads will soon appear although outside of the film's showing on the station.

Nothing is forever, it was a great run while it lasted.

Is this what you are talking about?

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/hbo-max-advertising-commercials-classic-movies-1234762076/

The article is confusing, but at the end it seems to indicate that TCM will remain ad free. Although I'd put nothing past AT&T. Youtube has become unwatchable because of all of the annoying ads. I find myself watching less just because they are so jarring and always for something I don't care about. I've started making a list of what companies interrupts my youtube viewing with their ads so that I make a point NOT to buy from them.

What the suits at AT&T don't seem to realize is that their revenue is down because Covid has destroyed the US economy and people are homeless and hungry. How silly to compare 2019 to 2020. I'm sure the execs are doing fine though.

P.S. - Your pen name, although from a Bogart movie, is also the name of a TCM message board poster who died in 2015. At first I thought he found the situation on earth so horrible he had to come back from the dead and warn us about something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Revenue is down because people are ditching traditional cable and satellite packages in droves.  The trend has been going on for several years now and antedates the COVID era, though the pandemic certainly doesn't help.  Cord cutting is dragging down a lot of networks (look at ESPN). 

TCM gets its revenue by charging TV providers a fixed amount per month for every subscriber that is able to receive TCM, regardless of how many people actually watch it.   With fewer people paying for cable/satellite, TCM gets less money.  Other revenue streams (Wine Club, merchandise, etc) will pale in comparison to carriage fees paid to TCM by the cable/satellite companies.

I fear that AT&T will create a "TCM" section on HBO max and the TCM linear channel will either go away, or become like AMC or FXM, with commercials (though I don't believe FXM interrupts their "classic" films with ads).  When AT&T killed Filmstruck, the email I got stated that they would be exploring new avenues for streaming TCM-like content in the future.   There are other indications that this might happen, as there's now more cross-promotion between the various AT&T networks/platforms (HBO, TNT, TBS, TCM) than before, and more content crossing between the various platforms.  For instance, a new HBO max series entitled The Flight Attendant has been heavily promoted on TBS, especially during their showings of The Big Bang Theory (as the new show stars Kaley Cuoco) and TBS even aired an episode of the new HBO series the other night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
37 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Revenue is down because people are ditching traditional cable and satellite packages in droves.  The trend has been going on for several years now and antedates the COVID era, though the pandemic certainly doesn't help.  Cord cutting is dragging down a lot of networks (look at ESPN). 

TCM gets its revenue by charging TV providers a fixed amount per month for every subscriber that is able to receive TCM, regardless of how many people actually watch it.   With fewer people paying for cable/satellite, TCM gets less money.  Other revenue streams (Wine Club, merchandise, etc) will pale in comparison to carriage fees paid to TCM by the cable/satellite companies.

I fear that AT&T will create a "TCM" section on HBO max and the TCM linear channel will either go away, or become like AMC or FXM, with commercials (though I don't believe FXM interrupts their "classic" films with ads).  When AT&T killed Filmstruck, the email I got stated that they would be exploring new avenues for streaming TCM-like content in the future.   There are other indications that this might happen, as there's now more cross-promotion between the various AT&T networks/platforms (HBO, TNT, TBS, TCM) than before, and more content crossing between the various platforms.  For instance, a new HBO max series entitled The Flight Attendant has been heavily promoted on TBS, especially during their showings of The Big Bang Theory (as the new show stars Kaley Cuoco) and TBS even aired an episode of the new HBO series the other night.

I missed the premiere showing and now cannot find it anywhere on TBS or HBO on Spectrum.

FXM does not have commercials during the movies between 3:00 AM and 3:00 PM.  Of course they tend to show the same shows a lot and no where near the variety on TCM.

• Thanks 1

I rarely watch TCM these days. I don't care for most of the stuff they are showing now. I don't go for much after 1960.  I like the old films. Then I saw the scedule for New Years Eve and.. what a surprise. Nick and Nora are spotlighted again! And That's Entertainment. Bah!

It's bad enough that they show the same old same old on Halloweeny. Although I'm pleased that they celebrate Claude Rains' birthday with a tribute, they don't do so for Lugosi and even if they only have four or five of his films, they could at least make the effort. 

No. I'm not really a fan anymore. Looking forward to MeTV's cartoon Saturdays coming in January. 

• Like 1

tcm killed tcm.:D

next time I tellum to put on Hot Spell they should put on Hot Spell.

:)

"you're nothing but a dumb shirt-tailed tcm programmer.

you're not as smart as me, you never will be as smart as me. 

you wanna know about movies? go to a man who suggested movies tcm never put on.

there's a man who knows!"

Anthony Quinn als John Henry Duval in Hot Spell (1958) met in de  Hoofdrollen Shirley Booth, Anthony Quinn en Shirley M⦠| Anthony Quinn (  1915 - 2001 ) in 2019â¦

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 12:58 PM, Janet0312 said:

I rarely watch TCM these days. I don't care for most of the stuff they are showing now. I don't go for much after 1960.  I like the old films. Then I saw the scedule for New Years Eve and.. what a surprise. Nick and Nora are spotlighted again! And That's Entertainment. Bah!

It's bad enough that they show the same old same old on Halloweeny. Although I'm pleased that they celebrate Claude Rains' birthday with a tribute, they don't do so for Lugosi and even if they only have four or five of his films, they could at least make the effort. 

No. I'm not really a fan anymore. Looking forward to MeTV's cartoon Saturdays coming in January. 

Yes! What is it with That's Entertainment on New Year's Eve? A lazy, uninspired choice.

Youtube has become unwatchable because of all of the annoying ads.

You can eliminate all the ads on Youtube with an ad blocker, or use a browser with ad blocking built in like the Brave browser. Smooth viewing. Never see another ad.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, EricJ said:

I'm liking this new "Two weeks later..." aside the new software is throwing in, for bumped threads.

Under the right serendipitous circumstances, it creates the perfect effect.   😂

Yeah, it's kind of cool.  It addresses a few problems at once, including leaving an evidence trail when people change thread titles.