Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why are there no movies today honoring/celebrating IMD?

I have seen many posts over the years which bewail the lack of movies to recognize special days or certain aspects of honor or celebration on those days. It is my turn now.

I could find no movie on today's schedule which supports either the six basic tenets of International Men's Day or this year's specific theme: health.

I feel that this is a gross oversight. It does seem to me that the men at TCM should have packed the schedule so as to raise awareness of the issues involved.

It might be that after centuries of rampant chauvinism something like "International Men's Day" might seem trite since in all that time  it's been "Men's Years" all along.    

Plus, when you consider that most of the "classic" movies, especially those from the "golden era" feature stories in which men typically rule the roost and often save the day  then there also is no need.  And I don't think there's been many movies centered on men's health.  Like:  JAMES AND THE GIANT PROSTATE or such.  :D 

But on a more serious note, I'm sure there's been some regular and somewhat frequent showings of movies in which men are shown in "fish out of water" situations involving taking care of the kids, doing housework and such.  Mostly comedies I think.  You know--- MR. MOM and the like.

Sepiatone

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

It might be that after centuries of rampant chauvinism something like "International Men's Day" might seem trite since in all that time  it's been "Men's Years" all along.    

Plus, when you consider that most of the "classic" movies, especially those from the "golden era" feature stories in which men typically rule the roost and often save the day  then there also is no need.  And I don't think there's been many movies centered on men's health.  Like:  JAMES AND THE GIANT PROSTATE or such.  :D 

But on a more serious note, I'm sure there's been some regular and somewhat frequent showings of movies in which men are shown in "fish out of water" situations involving taking care of the kids, doing housework and such.  Mostly comedies I think.  You know--- MR. MOM and the like.

Sepiatone

yeah, we're the chronic tormenters of women throughout the ages.

:lol:

"I better spruce up before mike gets home because he'll want to work me over upstairs."

Pork Chops and Apple Sauce: Appraising the Brady Bunch's Art Collection

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, SansFin said:

I have seen many posts over the years which bewail the lack of movies to recognize special days or certain aspects of honor or celebration on those days. It is my turn now.

I could find no movie on today's schedule which supports either the six basic tenets of International Men's Day or this year's specific theme: health.

I feel that this is a gross oversight. It does seem to me that the men at TCM should have packed the schedule so as to raise awareness of the issues involved.

What's that bulge in your cheek?  I know you don't chew tobacco.  I know, it's your tongue. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

What's that bulge in your cheek?  I know you don't chew tobacco.  I know, it's your tongue. 

I understand well why you might think that. It is a very good bet at any other time that you would be perfectly right. It is remarkable that I am serious this time. 

Men consistently rank first in suicides, heart disease, psychotic breaks and being murdered. I truly believe that we must seek to bring the numbers down. There are a limited number of men and the new ones being made are mostly rubbish. It behooves us to do what we can to preserve the ones we have in good order.

I feel particularly strongly about this because I am smarter, better looking, more artistic and an all-around nicer person than the man in my life. It is part of my empathetic nature that I feel I must encourage the illusion that we are in some way equal because it makes him feel better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Could be she thinks all Americans have to look like those guys pictured on those 1950's baseball cards:D

I am happy that they do not. I can think of no instance of one which looks as if I could take him seriously or even believe that he is a true athlete. They all appear to me to be addlepated geeks who are barely a step above a dog playing fetch.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

My Mother was the first and earliest feminist(sort of) I ever knew, and she once quipped:

"Men are only good for two things, and one of them they don't do all that well".  ;) 

Sepiatone

Women  have told me I  can cook well. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

My Mother was the first and earliest feminist(sort of) I ever knew, and she once quipped:

"Men are only good for two things, and one of them they don't do all that well".  ;) 

Sepiatone

we need to actively support misogyny to get as much practice from babes as we can get...

get a load of this guy. turning down the advances of a blonde-haired Antionette Bower.

we need to give women all the self-confidence we can give them.

:)

Pin on Star Trek