Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Mars City Will Start With Glass Domes

First Mars City Will Start With Glass Domes

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has some ambitious plans to turn humanity into an multiplanetary species.

With the aid of a fleet of Starship spacecraft, the intrepid billionaire wants to establish a permanent foothold on Mars, one million people strong, by 2050.

Now, Musk is publicly fleshing out his vision further.

“Life in glass domes at first,” Musk wrote in a Thursday tweet, responding to a question about what life on Mars will look like early on. “Eventually, terraformed to support life, like Earth.”

Scientists and science fiction authors have long suggested that terraforming could allow humans to breathe on the open Martian surface. But that vision is still a distant dream — far beyond the first Martian bases, according to Musk.

“Terraforming will be too slow to be relevant in our lifetime,” Musk wrote in a follow-up tweet. “However, we can establish a human base there in our lifetime. At least a future spacefaring civilization — discovering our ruins — will be impressed humans got that far.”

Terraforming Mars is indeed a massive undertaking. An analysis last year concluded that it may require 3,500 nuclear warheads every single day to increase Mars’ atmospheric pressure to breathable levels and melt the planet’s ice caps in order to release carbon dioxide, which will then be trapped in the form of greenhouses gases.

But there’s one big snag with that plan. The ensuing radiation would also turn the surface completely inhabitable.

And a 2018 study also concluded that there simply isn’t enough trapped carbon dioxide on the Red Planet to sufficiently raise enough atmospheric pressure to sustain humans on the surface.

This reminds me of the Biosphere scam where they ended up sneaking in food because everyone was starving.

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

The ensuing radiation would also turn the surface completely inhabitable.

I believe that you may wish to poofread that sentence.

Postulating glass domes on Mars is idiotic. Glass would be prohibitively heavy to transport. To manufacture engineered glass on Mars would require an extant colony with highly specialized equipment and large reserves of cheap fuel. 

• Thanks 1

Any settlements will be underground, there are research into lava tubes.

One have to be practical and use the resources available.

mars-underground-colony_resize_md.jpg

Just hope the same old dreary landscape day after day don't drive a few expressing.....

"Total Recall" (1990)

Lori....You know how much I hate this******* planet!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that you may wish to proofread that sentence.

Postulating glass domes on Mars is idiotic. Glass would be prohibitively heavy to transport. To manufacture engineered glass on Mars would require an extant colony with highly specialized equipment and large reserves of cheap fuel. 

Guess you don't know Sans that people whose postings are primarily or almost solely cut and pasted offerings of other people's words, usually don't proofread them before they post them.

(...and besides. in this specific case and considering the topic here being interplanetary travel and colonization, you'd be best advised to refrain from correcting MM's post here anyway, as, ahem, 'space cadets' such as he might for once actually know what they're talkin' about)  ;)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...and besides. in this specific case and considering the topic here being interplanetary travel and colonization, you'd be best advised to refrain from correcting MM's post here anyway, as, ahem, 'space cadets' such as he might for once actually know what they're talkin' about)  ;)

A certain fuzzy of my acquaintance writes science fiction and is a qualified engineer. Our PtC* ramblings often included discussions with other writers and engineers concerning a wide variety of topics including colonizing other planets. I appreciate your concern but I feel relatively safe pointing out what I know to be gross absurdities.

*Prior to Covid

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

It's dead as a door nail, how can you mess it up...introducing life? :lol:

Considering we're talking about EARTH life, well,  then considering what we Earthlings did to THIS planet,  Mars' doom would seem inevitable

Sepiatone